Sign in to follow this  
silverwolf55

Bug-out-bags?

I would like to build bobs for my self and my daughters and thier families. But having trouble deciding on a bag to start with. I'm leaning towards a military style bag does anyone have any suggestions on brands and styles any info would be appreciated.

Edited by Josh_Survivalcache

i like maxpedition bags. They are made of good sturdy canvas, plus they got molle loops everywhere. they have a really good variety on their website in both size and color, so take a given style and they probably make 3 different sizes with 6 different colors. i got one that i dragged to three different countries on port leave and now i am using it as a school bag, no malfunctions or broken bits yet

I would strongly recommend NOT using any military style bag. In any place that you or your family would use the system of your choice it would be best NOT to look like military. I have read a lot of posts that people are telling others military clothing, packs, gear, and rifles or the best thing to use. They are not!

To your question you can not chose a pack from looks alone it should be able to hold the things you need but be able to to carry. Most people load their packs with so much they cant carry more then 100 feet so the pack should be picked according to the person carrying it.

I use the Blackhawk assault III Day 134.00.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/3-Day-Assault-Pack,865,44.htm

It is black 2000 cu. In. Very nice mine has held up through Everything I put it through.

I'm using a surplus army Assault pack, but will probably replace it with a muted color pack from Kelty or another manufacturer. I personally prefer the civilian pack, but in a brown or green color. Definatly not a "HEY, I'm HERE!!!" color like yellow, orange or red!

i like maxpedition bags.

I agree. I also like the Condor Tactical stuff too. This nice part is your can get both in "not so" military colors as well. (Black, brown etc.) I'm not big on wearing "digi-cam", but I think earth tones are always a plus.

Usually the Condor stuff is a little less expensive but in my opinion just as durable. Unfortunately you can't just call and order from Condor but there are plenty of places on line that sell them.

http://www.maxpedition.com/

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/

Edited by CCSir

I'm not big on wearing "digi-cam", but I think earth tones are always a plus.

I'm not sure what ACU is supposed to match. It sure stands out, almost glows in the dark, here in AL. We have two Air Force bases here, so I see alot of it (slightly diff pattern I think, but same colors) It doesn't blend with ANYTHING. Unless you are standing in a crowd of people wearing ACU...

Thanks to all for your input it was of great help. To let you know i decided on the Maxexpidition bags Vulture II and the Falcon II for the grandkids (I agree nothing that stands out prefer khaki or coyote). They have plenty of room and molle capability also the only one capable of mounting a sleeping bag under them. Was wondering if anyone has had any experiance with the childens BOBS that are already made up? They look good just not a fan of the red packs they come in. My apoligies for rotten typing, punctuation, and spelling.

Edited by silverwolf55

Good choice on the Maxpedition packs. Very nice. Im using LAPG Bail Out Bags for myself and my family. Set up for 3 days each. Just carried with a shoulder strap. $20 a pop. Then I have a Condor Urban Go bag set up for longer trips if needed. Im planning on getting a couple more of the condors. The LAPG bag is great. I also have another one for a range bag.

I have a backpack and messenger style "duffel" that I alternate. Both are navy blue and nondescript to blend. I agree with Otto's earlier post about avoiding the look. No camo, no ALICE set up for me if I am trying to get out or get home.

Related topic, when I go to the indoor range instead of a fancy range bag I carry a cheapie zippered tool bag with a shoulder strap. I could drive around with it in my front seat (I don't) and no one would be able to tell the contents. To a thief, If you have a big nice black bag they might think it was a camera bag, but if the nice fancy bag has GLOCK or WINCHESTER written on the side, I think the thief will be able to figure it out when they pop your trunk. I guess this just goes with my "gray man" approach.

I would strongly recommend NOT using any military style bag. In any place that you or your family would use the system of your choice it would be best NOT to look like military. I have read a lot of posts that people are telling others military clothing, packs, gear, and rifles or the best thing to use. They are not!

I'll second that. Good post. That last thing you want to do is make yourself look like a yummy target with a digital camo pack that could be full of MREs.

I also preach packing light. You may need to move at a high rate of speed and the more weight you have to deal with, the more problems it will cause you. I know I can move over 40 miles on foot in one day with a heavy pack if the ground is relatively flat, but repeating this for a second day is a no go. I'd rather travel light, stay in fighting condition, and have the option to pick up other things that may be assets along the way, such as a good catamite.

Sick, I know. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Get a SOC bug out bag :D literally in the name. Comes in soild colors so you don't stand out in a urban environment. They have black if your really concerned about it. It's a great 72 hour bag. And it has removable back braces. I love my bag. I did get it at a bx but honestly it looks like a large backpack. I think you can find them on amazon as well.

i would like to build bobs for my self and my daughters and thier families. But having trouble deciding on a bag to start with. I'm leaning towards a military style bag does anyone have any suggestions on brands and styles any info would be appreciated.

Bugout Bags, I believe, are a personal choice and vary widely depending on "opinions". I know others may say that military bags make you "stand out" somehow. They could, I suppose, but are more likely too depending on what else you may be wearing. If you are wearing full camo, camo face paint, combat boots and carry a "tricked out" AR or AK...you would most likely look "obvious" regardless the pack/bugout bag you choose. Furthermore, I've seen more than one hiker/camper type, wearing jeans and plaid shirt, carrying Alice Bags and I, for one, didn't view them as being particularly unusual. Therefore, in my opinion, a military type Alice Pack is a great choice for a BOB especially for beginners. They are readily available, roomy, tough, common, inconspicious and carry easy, especially when using the tubular aluminum pack frame....and they are relatively inexpensive!

I have scrounge the goodwill and salvation army it is amazing what you can

find in back packs.

independent dollar type stores have stainless cups bottles bowels and lids,

medications sheet magnifiers / Fresnel lenses some tools like a multi

wrench, compasses, picture hanger wire you gotta scrounge MAN!

this is survival 101 save money for pack food.

here's the list:

A walking staff 6' long Chinese wax wood WHY wax wood because they are tough dense and the first

line of defense an arm with machete is 5 foot reach APP.

add the cold steel bushman's knife listed below and you have a formidable defense weapon.

and leg and ankle injuries are common also on uneven ground gives stability.

can be found at www.budk.com

knifes:

large knife my favorite a cold steel bushman's knife full tang thick and unbreakable and can be

used as a spear can be hammered and not be damaged.

Swiss army or Wenger army knife look at a minimum the explorer as the magnifying glass

and tweezers and tooth pick as well as awl and scissors screwdriver bits etc...

a leatherman type tool with bits and socket set comes In a Dacron pouch.

fire heating and cooking:

fire starting couple of Bic lighters magnesium fire starter and wood matches

Tinder dryer lint steel wool cotton balls Vasiline in packets better triple antibiotic ointment

some trioxane in packets have in a waterproof clamp shut box found at wally world as cigarette or

cell pone protectors and to to find a pocket Fresnel lens billfold magnifier..

tall torch bottle of propane with torch head. a shoe polish can type candle..

Water storage treatment heating / boiling

two stainless steel liter water bottles with the cap with a hole and a stainless steel cup like the carabiner

cup stainless steel has natural electrolytic qualities a necklace and a fob of silver stir and leave the silver

in the container it can kill most microbes maybe not all but better than nothing when you run out of

water treatment tabs aluminum is light but worthless do not waste your money or you time

a small nesting stainless cooking set in other words the fit inside of each other ans clamp as one piece.

a military canteen with cup ans cooking adapter that nest in canteen cover w/ water treatment tabs..

a stainless funnel can make a still for the bottles and use to transfer liquids.

Tools:

A Chinese hatchet multi tool it is a hammer a hatchet and a nail puller and a pry bar in one tool...

a folding shovel with a straight handle the grip handle is crap and too short for real digging leverage.

a hand saw there are folding ones and detachable / convertible blade models you may need to cut

wood plastic and light metal sheet or tubing so I would choose the convertible that has such blades

a hand grip one like a sheet rock knife is not comfortable for all day use think comfort.

your common safety emergency gear:

rear view sunglasses in the city or goggles as your needs apply:

A tarp 6' x 8' can be used as a tent hammock shade wind break

assortment of carabiners

Tyvek suite they are white w/ footie and hood cheap under 10 bucks with cans of colors of paint that

gives you camouflage color to suit your area

you can find plastic travel assortment bottles screw top squeeze snap cap and pump spray types

fill with throat spray alcohol peroxide vicks etc...

medicine in tubes or foil packs like Tylenol, aspirin dayquill especially benadryl

http://www.minimus.biz/OTC-Medication.aspx?sortorder=6&page=2

I like the newer emergency space blanket sleeping bag type

signal mirror

whistle

I like the zipper pull tab thermometer with compass a couple of them

snare wire

roll of electrical and duct tape

adjustable wrench 9 to 12 inch

key rings assorted sizes

fishing line 20 pound test for many uses

package / assortment sizes of safety pins

sewing kit w/ a couple of needle threaders try to thread a needle shivering or low light or bad vision..

good assortment of needles and add or change the thread to nylon cotton thread is not durable

or as multi use.

a first aid kit small add other meds and such to it needs to be in a plastic water proof clamp box or bag.

a big ace bandage

insect / snake bite suction kit

A head net for camouflage and insect protection

A scarf / face cover cotton military surplus ones are cheap.

100' hank of 550 # para cord

Elk skin leather gloves you can dye these to match your gear nothing tougher you can choose lined or

unlined

a shake light /Faraday flashlight NO BATTERIES NEEDED.

crank radio flashlight w/ cell phone charger tip availability for your cell phone I use a KAito 500

has emergency frequencies and am fm weather T.V. shortwave bands.

a folding nylon camp chair with arms fits in a round bag find them at wal mart..

alternative gear:

a POPEIL pocket fisherman do not bother with any other it folds it has storage for tackle and has a real

reel with drag and can handle good size fish..

https://www.ronco.com/products/pocket-fisherman.html

in major cities I would add a Israeli gas mask and 3 filters

web gear:

a web belt with quick release molle pouches for a small but good quality binocular or minocular

8x21 or better water proof and finger adjustable.

and to hold:

your canteen your knife pistol holster magazines etc...

Have a cheap RG or other brand 22LR revolver and 100 rounds of ammo.

If you live in an area that is anti gun a H&K P2A1military type 26.5 MM

break action flare pistol.

they are considered in most places a emergency signaling device check

your laws

with a 12 gauge adapter for 12gauge boat flares and a hand full of flares

do not buy an all plastic flare gun they are junk.

you can get a Kennesaw cannon adapter that changes it to a 22 single shot keep separate as if inserted it is a gun that has to be registered, which is sensible and proper we have laws for a reason.

so unless TEOTWAWKI HAPPENS leave it out and separate packed away....

the 26.5 MM flares are a bit expensive but red rain will let a body know what burning in hell will feel like

with a hundred 22 shells you should be able to make it home from town.....

http://kennesawcannon.com/products.php

trunk clothing and necessities :

a gallon of drinking water to fill your bottles listed above.

there are a few reasons for these a person on the side of the road is injured or you found in distress

your at work and are not dressed to bug out or impromptu outing..

in your trunk a bag with long tube socks long and short sleeve T shirts jacket for your are water resistant

or gore tex a pair of pants comfortable military belt longer than you need wrap and tie the end.

floppy hat and a balaclava single eye mouth opening it is a face mask a cap can be pulled down as a

neck warmer combat boots like the Israeli or a ankle high tennis shoe NOT WHITE..

a fleece blanket.

SIDE NOTE if dust or debris like volcanic ash sand or dust use a sock over your gas mask filter as a

pre-filter or you will just plug up a perfectly good filter in no time

Emergency food:

no cooking or heating smell of food brings unwanted guests

Datrex , Mainstay, S.O.S. long storage food bars 2400 or 3600 calorie approved by maritime and

coast guard as survival rations 5 year storage.

and now they have Millennium Energy Bars same 5 year storage.

http://beprepared.com/category.asp?start=12&c=96

books information

I saw this on another thread and remembered it was great a old boy scout hand book

has knots and great information, new ones are PC as the writer of this idea in this thread mentioned.

the older ones they stated are much better , kudos to this person.

a red cross manual also...

maps of your area of Bugging out and through too home or bug in...

there are playing cards of edible plants survival tips etc of certain areas seen them on ebay.

BATTERIES: have enough for your few things like hearing aids flashlight what ever not too much

your getting heavy

I have all this packed in a Swiss army back pack EXCEPT THE CLOTHING I change or not depending on

the area I am not wearing a suit through certain parts of town use common sense.

if not for my age I would look like a college student

or urban walker I can get on a bus or in a taxi go into eateries and not any odd looks

people do not even give me a second glance, act friendly and smile and be polite and it works a lot

better if you act like a scary crack head fidgeting and looking around "chicken head " your going to

attract unwanted attention no matter what.

This GUY is redundant well I am glad you noticed overlapping gear insures a second and third chance

weather wind and rain are not going to cooperate just because your having a bad day.

depending on terrain and weather or opposition it could take a while to get home walking on 911

everything was shut down no public transportation.

it may turn into an escape and evasion exercise and figure what takes an hour to drive at the speed limit

takes three days to walk if your in good condition with comfortable shoes now add a back pack

and nature fighting you all the way and maybe hostiles along the way..

were so pampered 90% of civilians could not make 20 miles a day.

make sure you have an old set of glasses if you need them.

this gear gives you a solid chance of getting home and so many alternatives because its not just a

bug out bag it a survival bag more than 3 ways self defense restart button hail Mary pass

jury rig a vehicle make repairs to bicycle or motor cycle

you can send a visual signal 200 foot in the air make fire 5 ways 4 kinds of light

3 ways of heat remember the propane torch makes carbon monoxide watch enclosed areas.

on and on but safety should be priority number 1

Edited by juzcallmesnake

I went with an LA Police gear bag, (www.lapolicegear.com). The bag is $29.99 and money is an important factor for me. That being said your life will depend on your gear someday and you dont want bottom shelf equipment. I have found the bag perfect for my BOB. I have one for my wife with an identicle set up. Our BOB's are OD green with webbing/MOLLE loops covering it. I daisy chained 100ft of paracord and ran it through every loop on the bag. I have 100ft of new paracord still packaged INSIDE my bag but the extra 100ft on the exterior doesent take up any extra room and can easily utilized when needed. I will try to post of picture of it here soon.Blackhawks a good name too and if you can afford Maxpedition gear more power to you. IMHO Maxpedition is the best of the best.

Oh I know which one your talking about. You get a lot of bag for your money but my only complaint was it wasn't the most comfortable on long hikes so it assumed the role of car bag.

I have settled on the Rush 12 I got which is made by 5.11. It is pretty durable, and carries a load very well. Its not too big, and not overly obvious. It has enough storage to carry food, and other essentials. i have done one run with it, over two miles, loaded with about thirty pounds of stuff (textbooks), and it did really well. Plenty of molle straps for attaching things. i also found out that I can mount a mag pouch upside down on the side, and get to it very easily (I know that mounting anything upside down is a huge liability, I just did it to see if it would work). I am planning on getting one for my wife (she hates ruck style bags, but like backpack style bags.) It was about $90, but i am willing to put money in where gear is concerned (mostly), and it had the most five star reviews I have ever seen for a bag like it. As for Condor, they are surprisingly good for the price. I have been looking at alot of their stuff after getting some mag pouches, and a plate carrier from them. All the stuff I have from them is excellent, and it is about half the price of the high end equivalent.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input it was very helpful. I did finally get a bag LA Police gear operators pack. It has most of what I was looking for in a pack. I did go with black it took away from the tactical apperance. Even though it has places for molle attachments they're not as noticable on the black bag. So guess all thats left is to get it filled. Once again thanks to all.