Sign in to follow this  
magicsub

A crazy idea that might just work

I live in Australia, which means there is very little access to guns, which in a way is a bit of a good thing if you consider the idea I am about to tell you.

I have always wanted to own a soviet BTR-60 armoured personnel carrier, like the one here:

http://www.mortarinvestments.eu/products/armoured-vehicles-4/btr-60-8

It is a tough thing, with nuclear, biological and chemical protection, amphibious capabilities, self inflating tires, and two gasoline engines in case one breaks down. The one displayed there is some sort of communications vehicle with a radio mast, meaning if you manage to get the radio working, you can call for help. Some of the communications equipment is not needed, so it can be taken out if needed. Its frontal armour is bulletproof from military grade 7.62 rounds, and the sides are bulletproof from 100 metres away. This obviously means that some bandit with a .22 rifle will not be able to either shoot out one tyre in order to make a normal car stop, or shoot at any passengers within the vehicle.

The armour and power obviously makes it easier to push cars aside, so any blockages on a potential escape route will not be a problem. The interior of it seems to be quite roomy despite it being an armoured vehicle, leaving room to put enough food and other supplies to last a while as you leave the city and head to your bug out location, which thanks to the amphibious capabilities, can be on an island.

The only downside I can see is the rather large fuel consumption, however it can go around 500km with a full tank.

So, what do you think of it? Is it a good vehicle for when the SHTF?

Sign in to follow this