Sign in to follow this  
Kountry Boy

I need an SKS!!!!

Hey guys,

I need an sks. The gun and the ammo fit well into my budget and i cant for the life of me find one of these anywhere within a 25 mile radius give or take and when i do happen upon one, its usually in a pawnshop, busted all to hell, and is way over priced. Im leaning towards an option that allows me the option, of layaway and all the online community of layawayers if you will, are always out of stock. With all that said, do you guys know of any website where i can find one that isnt retardedly priced and has a layaway option?

good luck, most sks gun sell for 215 up to 400 dollars now and most are found in gun shops,pawn shops and flea mkts and have gone way up since prepping started, i paid from 225 to 325 for my mine and have at least 200 more dollars in each one now, i saw some in a pawn shop in ky and the guy wanted 500 and up for them and they were still in their wooden stocks and 10 round fixed mags and i just laughed at him and walked out, but they are good dependable guns ,i love mine.

We can still pick up SKS rifles in this area for around $300 so it is still a decent deal but the Saigas are a nice choice at that price. If you go that route, make sure you buy your 7.62x39 ammo by the case. Supply seems to be a little spotty for the surplus stuff these days but Wolf is taking up the slack, for what that is worth.

Hey guys,

I need an sks. The gun and the ammo fit well into my budget and i cant for the life of me find one of these anywhere within a 25 mile radius give or take and when i do happen upon one, its usually in a pawnshop, busted all to hell, and is way over priced. Im leaning towards an option that allows me the option, of layaway and all the online community of layawayers if you will, are always out of stock. With all that said, do you guys know of any website where i can find one that isnt retardedly priced and has a layaway option?

Why buy an old overpriced gun when for about the same price you can have a new Saiga?

Honestly i grew up around a few sks`s here and there when my dad would occasionally pick one up but he never hung on to them for too long because he would always trade it off on something else but for the time he had one i couldnt get enough of it. I would literally take "tooth fairy" money to him and ask him to buy bullets with it jus so that i could burn them up in the back yard. This was the late 80s early 90s and i remember him saying he paid about 125 bucks for them out the door from our local shooter supply. Im basically wanting the sks over an ak setup becuase im more familiar with the sks all around.

ive looked into the saigas here lately and i still cant seem to conjure up the nerve to hit 'submit order' on any website because i cant help but feel that im gonna be ordering something that i would have had better luck carving out of a bar of soap. i guess mainly due to not being familiar with the set up. i recently purchased a 91/30 nagant and its by far the best 118 bucks ive spent in a very long time and i thank u guys here in the forums for helping influence that decision rather than it being an impulse buy lol, which im soon gonna be purchasing a Just-In-Case model of the mossberg pump to rig onto my BOB. But all in all im guess im gonna keep my eye out for an affordable sks or an ak that i absolutely can not pass up.

ive looked into the saigas here lately and i still cant seem to conjure up the nerve to hit 'submit order' on any website because i cant help but feel that im gonna be ordering something that i would have had better luck carving out of a bar of soap. i guess mainly due to not being familiar with the set up. i recently purchased a 91/30 nagant and its by far the best 118 bucks ive spent in a very long time and i thank u guys here in the forums for helping influence that decision rather than it being an impulse buy lol, which im soon gonna be purchasing a Just-In-Case model of the mossberg pump to rig onto my BOB. But all in all im guess im gonna keep my eye out for an affordable sks or an ak that i absolutely can not pass up.

Kountry,

If you've always wanted an SKS, by all means get one. I think it is a fine weapon and it sounds like it will fit into your battery. It does not sound like you have an immediate need that you should focus on filling. It will serve a role but since you already have other weapons, it isn't a critical 'first weapon'.

The Nagant is excellent, of course, so you can afford to look for your SKS. There is a lot in favor of a weapon you like and trust. I'm still looking for a .30-06 because that was THE gun that all the adults used when I was a kid. That was the one EVERYONE wanted back before all the other calibers showed up. I don't need one, I have all the niches filled in my battery, but one of these days, I'll find one for sale at my price and when I find it, I'll own it - just because!:o

Edited by Capt Bart

Thanks CAPT and Auto both points are dually noted and Capt your right about what you said. I dont have an immediate need for anymore guns at this present moment but i when it comes to getting the next one i do believe i will keep the eye out for the beloved sks.

I know what you mean capt, i would like to get a old M1 30 cal carbine, my dad had one and was the first gun i ever deer hunted with, i loved that gun and my brother got it when he died, i've looked at some at gun shows but they wanted way to much for them upwards of 800.00 dollars. the one he had was a Iver Johnson shot great wasn't a loose part on it and had i don't know how meny 5,10, 30 round clips for ithe had 29 guns but thats the one he kept under his bed loaded for protection oh and his 1911 colt which my brother got too i got on my first pick a winchester model 100 red seal semi 308 but loved that 30 cal., but i have several sks's in different variations very dependable,easy to break down and parts are cheap and so is ammo

I know what you mean capt' date=' i would like to get a old M1 30 cal carbine, my dad had one and was the first gun i ever deer hunted with, i loved that gun and my brother got it when he died, i've looked at some at gun shows but they wanted way to much for them upwards of 800.00 dollars. the one he had was a Iver Johnson shot great wasn't a loose part on it and had i don't know how meny 5,10, 30 round clips for ithe had 29 guns but thats the one he kept under his bed loaded for protection oh and his 1911 colt which my brother got too i got on my first pick a winchester model 100 red seal semi 308 but loved that 30 cal., but i have several sks's in different variations very dependable,easy to break down and parts are cheap and so is ammo[/quote']

I FINALLY got my M1 Carbine. It's an IBM version, Korean War era, I took it to the range and cursed my stupidity for not having one a LONG time ago. I didn't buy one at the $200 level because I didn't NEED it. I never said I was the sharpest tack in the pack.

I love that little carbine, it is great! It cost me $700 but I don't think they will ever get cheaper. If the CMP ever gets back in the Carbine business I'll probably get a second one. Even the mags are going up in price; I would recommend that if you want one, the satisfaction of having THAT weapon is worth the price if it doesn't deprive you of some other necessary item.

Love my M1 carbine. Have it in a upstairs closet & have made it's operation a prime concern for the wife. Low recoil & able to hit a pie plate @ 100 yds with open sites make it 1 of my favorites. Bought it back when they were $200.

SKS and M1 carbines are both getting pretty spendy these days as folks realize the workmanship that went into these. For whatever reason, I have never had a bad shooting SKS and they have always performed reliably for me. Not tack drivers but good enough out to 100 yards and always go bang.

I FINALLY got my M1 Carbine. It's an IBM version, Korean War era, I took it to the range and cursed my stupidity for not having one a LONG time ago. I didn't buy one at the $200 level because I didn't NEED it. I never said I was the sharpest tack in the pack.

I love that little carbine, it is great! It cost me $700 but I don't think they will ever get cheaper. If the CMP ever gets back in the Carbine business I'll probably get a second one. Even the mags are going up in price; I would recommend that if you want one, the satisfaction of having THAT weapon is worth the price if it doesn't deprive you of some other necessary item.

I am happy for you Capt Bart! Those M1 Carbines are nice weapons and fun to shoot.

When I was a young teen age buck my father took me on a trip out to Kentucky to visit his half-brother, George. George was the captain of the Kentucky State Prison Guards. At that time, part of his responsibilty was to oversee the destruction of illegal guns the state confiscated. Naturally, George had quite a collection of "destroyed" guns. One of them was a fully automatic 30 round M1 Carbine.

My dad and George, being good old boys, decided to take me hunting in the hills of Kentucky for wild pig. They called them boars. I heard many stories about how ugly and mean they were. I was given the M1 and placed at the front of the line. We walked into the wooded hills and crossed over rickety one-person-at-a-time bridges held up by ropes and old rotten steps. Soon we were deep in the wilds.

The trail was narrow and we could see maybe 20 feet ahead. I started hearing "squealing" ahead of me. Uncle George told me to be ready because they would charge out of the bush towards you. Now the extent of my hunting up to that moment in time consisted of taking wild frogs with BB guns and picking vicious squirrels out of trees with 22 shorts. I had never fired a .30 caliber before much less one that was automatic.

George yelled "Here he comes!" and at that moment the largest, ugliest, hairy, flea infested, beast that lived in my nightmares burst out of the underbrush not more that 10 to 15 feet ahead of me! Man that I am, I fired from the hip holding down the trigger. I can still see, in my minds eye, the rounds stitching the ground in front of me, walking over the pig and continuing up into the sky over my head!

I heard a loud bang in my ear and the pig's legs folded up and he skidded off the trail to the left.

My uncle said "You can let go of the trigger now." He holstered his 44 mag and took the carbine from my hands.

Yup! Sure did like that M1! :rolleyes:

Edited by Rod

Well, SKS rifles have now officially gone off my shopping list in the Houston area. Picking one up in nice shape at a local gunshow for $225-$300 was still possible up until the last few months. Now, forget it. Save your spare change and get the AK now. I was at the Pasadena show this past weekend and I saw one really abused and rusty Yugo SKS for $325 and the ones in decent shape were $399 and up.