Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CarsonCityJay

Shelters

22 posts in this topic

At my BOL, I have large storage sheds wired, insulated & plywood lined. I would bring my generator with which would easliy power them up when needed. have propane for cooking & heating. figure I could hang in there for a couple to a few months.

depends what the situation calls for. my hammock if the situation calls for it.

my tent might be up for duty if the situation is better suited for a tent. heck,

i might have to build something. ive been known to use two different options at

the same camp.

Here is a site that describes the many different Native American dwellings with some information on construction. Other links will be for specific shelters.

http://www.native-languages.org/houses.htm

http://survivalinyablood.createforum.eu/t18-wigwam-shelter

http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/IroquoisVillage/constructiontwo.html

Of course there are several books on making a tipi or Panther Primitives is a good place to buy one.

When I was on long treks (modern gear), I usually pitched my tent and built a natural materials "lean-to" or wigwam style shelter over/around the tent. I slept in the tent and the lean-to/wigwam was used as a "living area" and gear storage. By using natural materials, I was able to camouflage my site also. Since I usually went to the relatively same area, I would stack my materials up for use either as shelter materials or firewood for my next visit.

9x7 tarp(folds up small weighs next to nothing) 10ft x 54 inch mosquito net(same reason) and whatever nature provides in the short term.....long term .....my house i hope.lol

These things here are very unique below. I personally have the tube tents and emergency bivvys in everyones bug out bags. They're very compact, lightweight. Perfect for the B.O.B. If bugging out becomes a necessity.

http://www.rei.com/product/768984/coghlans-tube-tent

http://www.rei.com/product/813511/sol-emergency-bivvy

I hope the vehicles will be included. They can be packed in minutes pre loaded rubbermaid storage containers packed with tents, food, water, water filters, hygene personals, stoves, utensils, solar panels, ect. My truck boxes already contains, tools, ropes and straps of many kinds, forest cammo netting, tarps ect.

If it comes down to travel only with the B.O.B. we still will be prepared to move to one of the other locations, preferably the closer one and will still be able to make it to the farther ones away regardless. It will be a trek to say the least if it is plausible.

As Kevin said, hopefully it won't come down to bugging out, but if need be we can move quickly and efficiently without delay. As I'd said somewhere before, we plan on bugging in! We're currently at three layers of defense for bugging in and it is possible for 5 layers of defense if the situation arises.

God help us all if that occurs.

Edited by desert rat

poncho...always with me..same with a matchett...

But Im bugging in ....

If Im out and about it means that TSHTF and I will sleep under a abandoned car if need be/or deep in the woods...

I can only refer to 1 person(just myself)/ If and I had others along..Than I would want a shelter/shed..metal or wood..something stashed and hidden..

Long term is Not an option...moving to different locations is the only answer I can see for the future if TSHTF..move slowley south in winter..move up north in spring..

Yes it is a better plan to have land and a BOV..some Dont have that option !!!

Edited by 101matt

Oh hell no...

your traped inside...and the glass fogs(remember when you use to Park and spark?)..and the sounds you Cant HEAR from a closed car..

I would take OUT the seats and take to the woods..Just like you did 10 years ago on the river..lol

omg, "park and spark", lol. havent heard that in yrs.

i also remember a few dads showing up outside the car too. man i can almost count the times ive had

near death experiences lol .

Your NOT old just wiser..............LMAO..

Now "Dad" is looking for food to feed that Daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just keeping it REAL..No More sugar coating anything...

JMO we Dont have the Luxuary to be "Nice"....it is coming at US hard...be able to take a punch or submit to the circumstances.....

Hmmm... Short term, a tent. If it became a long termbug out, i could always fashion a wind break and a tarp roof to gover the tent if i cant make something a bit more reliable. In ideal conditions (read as any conditions where my BOL isnt covered in massive blanket of snow) i could always make a small lean-to cabin.

Wasn't sure where to post this so I put it here under shelters...

One of the books that people have mentioned was the old 'Boy Scout Manual', when I was at Cabelas yesterday I saw a book that looked interesting..'Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties' by D.C. Beard. He was one of the founders of the Boy Scouts of America so I thought I'd give it a look.

He breaks it down into Tomahawk and Axe camps, that is camps you can make with a hawk and those you make with an ax. He includes how to make a chimney for a log cabin, shingles for roofs, and various types of latches for doors. Lots of water color illustrations to show some of the various details as well.

Also has some more complex cabins that require additional tools. Some of the shelters I already knew, a fair amount I didn't...thought this might be of interest to some.

Tarp and fiberglass tent poles and stakes I also absolutely have to have a folding camp chair if the ground is wet my butt ain't going to be on it.

stakes are good for anchoring traps and other camp needs.

many try to equate a bug out home to the home we have now NOT GOING TO HAPPEN most were one room affairs and later a wall might be built

for the bedrooms for privacy outhouses instead of indoor conveniences unless you count a THUNDER MUG or chamber pot as they called them.

A tee pee would be a great but in wet weather not so great as the floor is the weak link

Wasn't sure where to post this so I put it here under shelters...

One of the books that people have mentioned was the old 'Boy Scout Manual', when I was at Cabelas yesterday I saw a book that looked interesting..'Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties' by D.C. Beard. He was one of the founders of the Boy Scouts of America so I thought I'd give it a look.

He breaks it down into Tomahawk and Axe camps, that is camps you can make with a hawk and those you make with an ax. He includes how to make a chimney for a log cabin, shingles for roofs, and various types of latches for doors. Lots of water color illustrations to show some of the various details as well.

Also has some more complex cabins that require additional tools. Some of the shelters I already knew, a fair amount I didn't...thought this might be of interest to some.

thanks, VB ... it's on my kindle.

if the car is abandoned might i suggest actually sleeping IN the car sir. ROFLMAO.:P

So then the rule is to only sleep under a car if it's occupied? I just want to be smart about this, ricksconnected! ;)

So then the rule is to only sleep under a car if it's occupied? I just want to be smart about this, ricksconnected! ;)

Anyone care to go interview a hobo ? We could get some definative answers on How-to

Anyone care to go interview a hobo ? We could get some definative answers on How-to

Navy, they are probably the best survivalists out there any more. They have their own symbols and signs to announce safe zones, where to get a meal, etc that will be needed if we lose our modern society.

I have had to live like this, and man did it ever suck!  Way, way ahead to live in an old van, if you're going to be above ground (and thereby, be "findable".  I'd prefer to be in a small dugout shelter, myself. with a pair of vertical entry shafts, lids wired to mousetraps "loaded" with .22lr rds in short hunks of pipe, to wake me if anyone's messing around with one of the lids.