Sign in to follow this  
P210SIG

Firearm/Gun lubes & oils, What do you use? What do you feel is the best?

I've used alot of different types of gun oils, Outers, Break-Free LP, Militec-1 & Eezox.

I tend to go with Eezox mostly & find it the best for my needs.

So what do you members use & find is the best for your needs?

since 1990 most all lubes and ois are good depends if you are in extreme cold then I would use rem oil

rem oil is very thin and does not cause action slowdown as cold grease can slow down a firing pin,

making a hang fire or no fire

when in dry or desert conditions I like a dry lube http://www.militec1.com/

for weather 30 to 130 degrees Rem oil is good stuff it is light it does not gum up or slow the action

it leaves a light coat to prevent rust on all surfaces the absolute best on revolvers.

I have used it in place of bore cleaner with a brush and patch and keep a few bottles on hand I never use spray

but I love those 2 ounch mini bottles.

I have use3d and still do have some breakfree clp but once I run out I will probably stay with REM OIL.

I use Hoppes and Break Free. But ive used all kinds of lubes and oils. Im not that picky. Walmart carries the Hoppes and break free at a good price soo.......

But I do prefer synthetic lubes. I know hoppes and BF are not synthetic. I dont really think it matters as long as you regularly clean and oil your firearms. I know old timers with guns 50+ years old that have had nothing but WD40 and motor oil on them and they still funtion perfectly. No excessive ware. My grandfather would grumble under his breath when he saw me with a bottle of "gun oil".

I use RemOil for 1001 things including cleaning and lubing my guns. For guns that are stored, I find that it "evaporates" and leaves no protection in my very humid environment. For guns that are going to sit up for months or longer, I rub them down with a thin coat of Outers or Hoppes gun oil. Whichever I happened to buy last...

I keep Outers or Hoppes Cleaner on hand and use it on the complete maintenance teardowns.

But just general oiling and cleaning after a few rounds or time of un-use... RemOil it is!

On my M4 I use CLP, REM Oil, Hoppes, and Tuff Cloths. In Iraq I used a dry lubricant that was amazing and something that had teflon in it. Dont remember the names of either though, sorry. In my SASS I use SLIP 2000 for lubricating purposes and Hoppes and CLP for cleaning. I used to use Montana Extreme for cleaning but I dont clean the copper out of the barrel anymore.

Been using WD-40 as far back as I can remember,never had a problem,cold and hot/humid weather,

for long term storage protection is great,kept my boots weather proof,even in Korea.

http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips/

wd-40 has water in it so using it for long term storage probably isn't the best idea. it will eventually cause rust. best bet for long term is a dry teflon or sillicone lube.

Militec-1 is my oil of choice if it is used properly ie. all other oils stripped out with a mild solvent then wiped down with alcohol, heat all the metal parts to 150 degrees F then wipe down with militec reheat and wipe down again I have had zero rust problems even up here in the wet of Washington or in Alaska on my land in the bitter cold it is a pain initially to do it right but it pays off in the long run CLP is OK, Gunzilla is good RemOil is very good in all but hot dry dusty and extremely cold environments Militec1 does it all if done properly as the manufacture suggest just most do not they believe it to be a wipe on wipe off oil when it is not remember it is also not a solvent. I have included the manufacturers instructions below also if you are military you can get a supply for free from the manufacturer.

FIREARMS APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: SELF-LUBRICATION

CHARACTERISTICS: MILITEC-1 Synthetic Metal Conditioner has the unique ability to create a complex, molecular compound within the surface of heated gunmetal. This causes MILITEC-1 to become part of the metal, not merely a temporary coating or a boundary film. There are two main characteristics of this safe new compound. First, it seals and conditions the metal by stiffening (not hardening) the metal surface. Second, it makes the gunmetal self-lubricating under all environmental conditions.

SELF-LUBRICATION: After a complete application, a MILITEC-1 conditioned firearm is self-lubricating. Self-lubrication gives the firearm's gunmetal the dry lubricity that is required for sustained fire under all environmental conditions. If exposure to dust, sand, or extreme cold is a concern, all excess MILITEC-1 must be wiped away, leaving the firearm's surface metal clean, dry, and constantly lubricated. Please note: Complete corrosion protection and self-lubrication is attained only after both Step One and Step Two (below) are completed.

PREPARATION: To take full advantage of MILITEC-1's unique properties, start with a clean firearm. Although MILITEC-1 contains a mild detergent that will help with subsequent cleaning, there are no solvents or other hazardous materials in MILITEC-1, so it cannot remove old caked-on fouling and build-up from other lubes. Thus, if a firearm is dirty, you must clean it with a solvent before you proceed. Normal fieldstrip cleaning should be perfectly adequate. If possible, remove the handgrips, clean and prepare.

INITIAL TREATMENT: Applying MILITEC-1 to a firearm for the first time is a two-step process: (1) Application and (2) Firing.

STEP ONE: APPLICATION. Now that the firearm is clean and dry, apply a light film of MILITEC-1 to all surfaces, including the bore. Burnish/polish MILITEC-1 into exterior surfaces by rubbing rapidly using a cloth lightly dampened with MILITEC-1. Sparingly apply drops into the action, concentrating on springs, moving parts and metal-to-metal contact areas. If your firearm has a magazine, be sure to apply MILITEC-1 both inside and out. Leave a very light film of MILITEC-1 on all surfaces during reassembly. Now proceed to Step Two.

STEP TWO: FIRING. Once you fire your weapon enough times to reach operating temperatures, the heat and friction will activate MILITEC-1, strengthening the bonding process that was started in Step One. While firing, MILITEC-1 creates a self-lubricating, water-repelling, dry compound within the gunmetal.

Additional Application Instructions: If Step Two is not immediately possible, consider applying low heat to the firearm to facilitate the bonding process until you can perform Step Two. In field conditions, place your lubed firearm in the sun underneath black plastic or a similar ventilated heat source for at least two hours. Alternatively, you may use a heat gun, hairdryer, burnishing or polishing tool to heat the gunmetal. In heat controlled environments, do not exceed 150° F (65° C). In all applications that require heat to condition the firearm, always insure proper ventilation and wear protective clothing. Please consult our MSDS for additional information.

ULTIMATE PROTECTION: To maximize the effects of MILITEC-1, repeat Step One and Step Two while the firearm is still hot from the first firing session. MILITEC-1's impregnated molecular bond intensifies during the next 2-3 applications on hot gunmetal. MILITEC-1 has now become a physical part of the gunmetal.

SUBSEQUENT APPLICATIONS: It is important to continue using MILITEC-1 to lubricate your firearm throughout its normal service life. Consistent use of MILITEC-1 will maintain the self-lubricating effect, maximize corrosion protection, and minimize wear on all friction surfaces. Fouling, deposits and metallic debris do not adhere as easily to gunmetal surfaces conditioned with MILITEC-1. Use a safe, inexpensive cleaner or solvent to detail the firearm, if necessary. For maximum corrosion protection, and especially if long-term storage is anticipated, leave a very light film of MILITEC-1 on all surfaces, after both steps or field application procedures are completed.

APPLICABILITY: MILITEC-1 is recommended for all pistols, shotguns, rifles, automatic weapons, tank guns and artillery of all calibers and sizes. Note: MILITEC-1 will alleviate jamming due to tight tolerances.

Edited by warrior7r

I use Break Free CLP and RemOil for lubing, Hoppe's no. 9 (only-period) for cleaning. I also am experimenting with Mobil 1 synthetic in my ARs, seems to work extremely well so far in both winter and summer.

I grace up using anything resembling grease years ago, after a very bad experience.