Sign in to follow this  
TCC6310

The reason prepping discourages me.

Plain and simple, I'm broke. I want to prep and add to the things i have but times are far to hard and I can't find a job to save my life. And unfortunatly, nobody is willing to give away freebies. Its awful trying to be prepared, and not being able to do it. Just had to vent. Thanks :)

You can only do what you can do. I was laid off 3-1/2 years ago and have only worked temp since then. It's very tight, but we have managed to do a little bit of prepping. I have a couple of recycled backpacks. I can't afford a weapon, but I've been able to buy a bit of bottled water, one flat at a time or one gallon when that's all there's money for. I'm not prepared for TEOTWAWKI, but if the power goes for a day or a week, I have canned goods to eat. If we have to bug out, for whatever reason, I have some things in the backpacks, most of it gleaned from things in the house.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Is it better than nothing? Absolutely.

Prepare what you can. Whatever you do is more than you have now.

Stay strong bro, chin up. I swear ive been right there where you are now. You do what you can when you can. Being that finances are very limited, this obviously isnt stopping you from being able to access internet. Google is your FRIEND. Take this as an opportunity (or excuse) to learn all you can about anything and everything. As im sure anyone on this forum will tell you, knowledge is worth more than most anything you can buy.

Prepping is a mind set, not an inventory list.

The most valuable preps you can possibly come up with are the "how to" type of thing. Learn what you can now - Thats pretty much free. Plan what you can for later- Thats pretty much free. Figure out your priorities for what money does become available. How would you spend the first $100 that became available for prepping?

Don't let financial circumstances dictate your prepping. Inventory what you have already. A sturdy boning knife from the kitchen drawer will work just fine until you someday get a KABAR or similar. Sandwich bags, coffee filters, needles, aspirins all kinds of preps can be had with no extra cash.

Good luck and success!

I admired and respect does who never quit,surviving is nothing more than basic necessities for human life: water, food, shelter, habitat, the ability to think straight, to signal for help, to navigate safely,so one can,one bottle,a can opener at a time,and plenty of trips to a Goodwill store,garage sales,Salvation Army Stores,and really important,if you know a trade,you can allways barter for things,no money.

Your preaching to the choir here! I have a wife who has not and will not work, 5 kids a dead end job I hate, and spend every second I can doing anything I can to earn a little more. The S has H my F many times. Prepping is not about expensive gear, you are better with a used old cheap than without, garage sales are awesome for finding things I never pass one if I can spare a few minutes, resale shops, thrift stores, can goods from Aldis are just as good. Start small 24 hr than 48 hr etc. The basics are cheap candles, food, am/fm radio, water. I know how disheartening it is sometimes really I do, but you are surviving NOW and as they say "that too will pass" just hang in there and do your best, after all that all you CAN do!

TC..your amongst friends,and people who are or have been in your position..

Imagine being 58,have over 25 years in the retail sales and management and being told(for over a year)that you have more experence than the Owner or District manager!!Oh and they would rather have a teen with NO Experence!!

LMAO..

And yes you have to laph at the assholes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I hustle..I gather glass bottles to hold my water stock(a Bar)and if TSHTF were are you going to get glass?I have lost all sence of pride,and ask for as many quart jars as possible from friends and co workers for canning!I now have over 100..

I trade and bargain as much as I can,and you can also!!

I recentley snaged a 10 speed bike off somebodys trash pile,and it may take some time to fix it,BUT if I need to have transport I will have it!

Keep going and dont let the SOBs wear you down!!

A 1 eyed Jack is king in a Blind world.....

Plain and simple, I'm broke. I want to prep and add to the things i have but times are far to hard and I can't find a job to save my life. And unfortunatly, nobody is willing to give away freebies. Its awful trying to be prepared, and not being able to do it. Just had to vent. Thanks :)

I am sorry to read that you are having a bad time. Venting is a good thing. It means you are alive and still kicking. If it means anything to you, I will keep you in my thoughts and wish you a better tomorrow.

TCC,

A great many folks are on my prayer list and now you are added. I've been there - having friends buy Christmas presents for my children as well as feed the family and do needed roof repairs is really tough on the pride of one who has way too much pride for his own good (that would be me). I'm OK now but I can't retire for the same reasons you're having problems. I don't dare get where I have no income - at 63 I'm not exactly hire-able.

As others have said, do what you can with what you have. Prepping is a mindset, not something you buy. A solid knife, a way to carry water, a little food and a way to start fire and you are head and shoulders above most folks. Is this desireable? Of course not but it is where a lot of us started out.

Hi TCC,

I would agree that prepping is a mindset.

It's impossible to cover all bases at once, especially with limited resources. You need a strategic focused common sense approach. Therefore, it behooves you to study your situation, access your greatest SHTF risks and plan accordingly so you don't spend money and waste time unnecessarily.

I found this article by Captain Dave's to be a good read for beginners to help develop a strategic approach to prepping:

http://www.captaindaves.com/guide/

Hope it helps,

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

I'm sorry things have been so difficult for you. Hope that they turn around quickly, but in the meantime, maybe this will help you feel less stuck by your circumstances!

I don't know if you have an e-reader from before you lost your job, but a great resource (for $0.99) is Susan Gregersen's "Poverty Prepping: How to Stock Up for Tomorrow When You Can't Afford to Eat Today." And there are probably dozens if not hundreds of great websites (like this one!) where you can find ideas that you can implement with little or no cash outlay. Your state college likely has an extension service; here in Oregon, ours has all sorts of info about gardening, preserving food, nutrition, and more (http://extension.oregonstate.edu/).

Be vigilant about seeking out free resources in your community. Craigslist has sections for both "free" items and opportunities to "barter/trade" for things you want. See if there are "freecycling" groups in your area, too - these are people who prefer to give away items that are serviceable so that they can continue to be used rather than being thrown away or recycled. Canning supplies, camping equipment, expired but still okay canned goods, etc. are often listed in these places.

This could also be a time to boost your skills or increase your knowledge. Your local library will have shelves of reference materials with information you can use to help create a plan:

• Maps, topography, population density, etc.
  • "How to" books on everything from construction to gardening to first aid
  • Biographies and non-fiction accounts of how Native Amercians, pioneers, et al, used to do things "way back when"
  • Local history books about how your area's settlers made use of the resources around you
  • Guides to local wildlife and plantlife, which can become a basis for hunting/foraging for you in the future

You could also seek out hands-on opportunities. In urging people to do disaster prepping, the government created the "Ready.gov" site and it actually lists ideas for how you can get involved as a volunteer - maybe CERT training would help? A complete list is here:

http://www.ready.gov/volunteer

Whatever you choose to do, best of luck to you!

Keep going and dont let the SOBs wear you down!!

Well said Matt. As I learned some time ago, if you say "Illegitimus Non Carborundum Est " (roughly - Don't let the Bastards grind you down) it makes people think you're smarter than you are!B)

OK, so maybe I'm a snob but I occasionally like to use the $.27 words just to annoy the liberals and pseudo intellectuals. It is still good advice.

Hi TCC,

I would agree that prepping is a mindset.

It's impossible to cover all bases at once, especially with limited resources. You need a strategic focused common sense approach. Therefore, it behooves you to study your situation, access your greatest SHTF risks and plan accordingly so you don't spend money and waste time unnecessarily.

I found this article by Captain Dave's to be a good read for beginners to help develop a strategic approach to prepping:

http://www.captaindaves.com/guide/

Hope it helps,

Wolfe

Agreed, Wolfe. Captain Dave's article is an excellent place to start and some solid advice for the 'not yet started' prepper.

TCC

been there i know how it feels. I have fallen enough to consider being a freegan to survive and i know that this doesn't make things better. stay at it. stay focused. zig when others zag. find every resource that you can and hit it hard. tap your old co workers for info on competitors. review past employers. churches. civic groups. local business groups. town officials. talk to cops at donut shop- they see were new business is coming in. there are great ideas mentioned above. best advice i got while being unemployed is that be unemployed was now my job. 8-10 hours devoted 5 days a week to finding a job. i say dont let the bastards win. Read "The art of war" and adapt those ideas to your search. If you need a sounding board feel free to PM me.

remember that the most important tool for your survival is a well prepared mind.

Godspeed.

TCC,

After you have a basic kit put together (solid knife, a little rope/cordage, water, food, etc.) for 3 weeks to 3 months then I would recommend you start looking for a first weapon. We have entire threads dedicated to what that should be but as a suggestion for a cash strapped individual, I would seriously consider a .22LR rifle. This doesn't have to be new, but it will probably run less than $200 and the ammo is the cheapest there is. You could even start buying a small stock of it with spare cash now. (I just got 325 rounds for $11 from Cabela's) It is a solid first gun, is very flexible, about as inexpensive as you can get (a single shot shotgun is another good choice). I spent quite a few years with a .22, a 20 gauge single and a .38 revolver. Not the best choices for a survival battery but I was not disarmed.

Tell it like it is Matt & Bart.....I just want to kick ass ever time I hear "Sorry your over qualified for this job." Had girl friend once who explained why she was on welfare. She couldn't get a job that started off at a level that would allow her to feed her kids, have a car and rent a house let alone pay someone to look after them while she was at work. Thanks to the corporate wet dream of all part time hourly workers (no vacation or other benifits) too many are getting the sharp end of the stick and I suspect one of the shtf results will be payback aimed at the upper management types. Pardon me if I don't cry when it happens.

If the working men and women of this country don't get off our collective asses and start changing the idiots in state and national offices we will all windup on the short end of that stick.

TCC, devildog provided excellent guidance! Many people will have ‘stuff’ but lack the skills necessary to keep their heads above water for too long. So you need to be ready to fill the gap their ignorance creates. YouTube has all kinds of outstanding info on prepping skills. Become a student so, when the time comes, you can be a teacher. Coupling a positive attitude with your newly acquired excellent skills, you will be a hit commodity! People will bring their stuff to you!

Every time you go food shopping, buy an extra bag of rice or pasta. Or grab one extra can of food. Store these things in your basement or in a closet. After a year you will be surprised at what you have in stock. Buy a bottle of bleach and some coffee filters. These can be used to filter and purify water and a gallon of bleach goes a LONG way.

Don’t get depressed! You are not the only person in the same boat. But do little things every day to prepare. Watch one video a day. Try to figure out how to use the things you have to stay alive.

Lastly, I respect your attitude. You didn’t ask for handouts. You didn’t want sympathy. You asked for guidance. I respect you for the modesty used in your request. I was once in your shoes and didn’t like it at all. Due to my advanced age and hard work, I am not in that position anymore. But I am in the position to help others. I make knives as a hobby. I make really good knives. I am proud of the knives I make. And it would be my honor to create a knife especially for you. It’ll take me a week or two to create it. I will mail it to you. All of this will be on my dime. All I ask is that you make a promise. You have to promise that you will hone your survival skills. That’s all you have to do. You see, with good survival skills you will help others get by.

So, make the promise and send me your snail mail address and give me some time. I promise that you will love whatever knife I send. Also, I need to know whether you are right or left handed. I might sculpt the handle to how you grasp the knife and need to know which hand you use when holding a knife. I hope that you take me up on my offer. There are no strings attached.

I will follow Excoasties lead I have an excess quantity of some medical supplies I can put into the offer as well as a free initial preparedness consultation and access to additional resourses through my private company if it is wanted and if TCC keeps his promise to Excoastie. but it will be a start on the health and welfare side and the consultation will add focus to your prep spending and actions.

Excoastie OUTSTANDING even though I am an the Army grunt now, I used to be A Navy squid so Bravo Zulu Shipmate. Great motivator and way to help glad to see DC didn't wear off on you!!

Edited by warrior7r