Sign in to follow this  
Regulator5

Tracking

"tracking" can be used to "read sign" on more than just animals, birds, reptiles, and people. I was harvesting sweet corn yesterday (we froze 128 pints of corn and 40 quarts of beans) and the 3 acre field we were harvesting from had alot of damaged stalks from the storm that rolled thru on Sat. night. The People with me thought the damage was from deer, altho no foot tracks were visible, but the tell all sign was that ALL the stalks were laying down in the same direction.

This is useful for a prepper as it can show you the common wind direction of a severe storm. This will not be a 100% way to determine the safest place for camp, but it gives you another tidbit to base your decision on. Tracking should be considered the "Book of Nature" and not just footprints in the dirt.

Growing up on a farm, playing in the woods, hell running into the woods to escape work really! I loved the "peace and quiet" as they say but really if you know whats up " peace and quiet" means one of two thing either your to loud or something's about to get ate. I'd make a game of trying to move through the woods without disturbing the sound of the birds and animals, use ridges and gullys to hide myself from sight and redirect my sound, move into the wind to threw scent and sound back on my tracks, I've walked to within a few yards of deer a few time under excellent conditions. Had a deer nudge me once, was sitting with my back to an oak tree on the very top of a ridge over looking a bottom where two creeks meet and not moving or making a sound AT ALL watched a very young doe for a good hour browse the bottom then she saw me and instead of running she watched me and slowly walked closer and closer, stretching her neck and shuffling her feet she inched up until she reached out and kinda nibbled my carhart jacket, I made a small click with my mouth and she was gone, and yes it was deer season and no my .303 never moved.

http://www.wildwoodtracking.com/

I found this site today. I'm still perusing it, so can't speak for content yet (the sections I have read seem to be pretty good aand accurate from my knowledge/experience). They also have a wilderness survival section with ALOT of tidbits and tips. They have forums as well if you need to ask a question (not sure on membership/joining yet). Hope this helps in even a small way.