Sign in to follow this  
readytogo1955

So you have a mini farm,what do you do with all your veg,eggs,milk,meat?

You probably have a big freezer,but the power is out,now what,get the picture.In my family

farm food preservation was the #1 rule,and we had no electricity,and I see lots of nfo on

seeds,watering,bug spray,etc,but nothing on food preservation.

Farming and food preservation go side by side,and in order to survived,you need food and what better food than the one from your garden.

Think about this,we kill 2 hogs,and we had meat all year long,lard,ham,sausages,bacon,now

thats surviving.

So, who out there is really prepping for survival:cool:

I have a long ways to go, but I've I planted a couple different gardens at my place(potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, beans, squash, pumpkins, carrots, cucumbers etc.). We also have several varieties of grapevines, blueberries, and raspberries established and several different apple trees, apricot rees, and hazelnut trees.

As far as livestock, I have a long way to go....currently keeping my eyes open for a couple calves and/or pigs to raise, preferably calves as we have some alfalfa land we rent on shares to a neighbor, and have some pasture land, where we keep our 2 horses.(my wife's idea).

I hope to learn more about canning from relatives, and more about the gardening as I go.

Edited by jerry9491

I have a long ways to go, but I've I planted a couple different gardens at my place(potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, beans, squash, pumpkins, carrots, cucumbers etc.). We also have several varieties of grapevines, blueberries, and raspberries established and several different apple trees, apricot rees, and hazelnut trees.

As far as livestock, I have a long way to go....currently keeping my eyes open for a couple calves and/or pigs to raise, preferably calves as we have some alfalfa land we rent on shares to a neighbor, and have some pasture land, where we keep our 2 horses.(my wife's idea).

I hope to learn more about canning from relatives, and more about the gardening as I go.

How I envy you,you have land,green grass,open space,my God ,that is wonderful,I do lots of canning,drying and curing,is healthier and you save money,check this gov publication on

canning,you may find it helpful.

https://mdc.itap.purdue.edu/item.asp?itemID=19265

How I envy you,you have land,green grass,open space,my God ,that is wonderful,I do lots of canning,drying and curing,is healthier and you save money,check this gov publication on

canning,you may find it helpful.

https://mdc.itap.purdue.edu/item.asp?itemID=19265

Ready, this is the kind of info I am looking for. Looking forward to trying some of those recipes, Thanks.

You probably have a big freezer,but the power is out,now what,get the picture.In my family

farm food preservation was the #1 rule,and we had no electricity,and I see lots of nfo on

seeds,watering,bug spray,etc,but nothing on food preservation.

Farming and food preservation go side by side,and in order to survived,you need food and what better food than the one from your garden.

Think about this,we kill 2 hogs,and we had meat all year long,lard,ham,sausages,bacon,now

thats surviving.

So, who out there is really prepping for survival:cool:

Hey Readytogo,

You can do a lot of survival prepping regarding fresh food. I blog about this stuff. You can pickle many types of veggies like onion, cucumber, carrots, cabbage, eggs, etc. You can store, De-hydrate just about anything like onions, potatoes, eggs, zucchini, etc. The left overs from the veggies you can add make a nice compost. Meat can be preserved using drying techniques. We too are off grid and live and function flawlessly on our homestead.

I grew up with around 35-40 chickens on the property and I can tell you that we had more eggs than we could use most of the time. We ended up trading the extra's for whatever our neighbors had on them. One neighbors son was an avid duck hunter and fisherman, so we ended up usually swapping eggs for duck meat most of the time- occasionally trout was in the mix. More of a trade/barter kind of thing.

you can put all your meat in a smoke house {debone it first} you can can milk and vegetables in mason jars pickle eggs you may can these also.

and as wildfire4104 mentioned you can sell or trade them milk can be turned to cheese I am not versed in making anything other that soft cheese

and that requires refrigeration but if your a die hard milk critter fan unless you have calf's that can drink it then you may consider a breeder pair of hogs

they love milk whey and even soured milk so it does not go bad, butter clarified is able to be canned.

some meat can be packed in salt or brined this staggers the date of use or gives you time to can the meat it is not easy that is why successful ranchers and farmers had a large family..

cold cut meats can be canned as well as hot dogs being able to make these items having a grinder morton tender quick sugar spices canning jars lids

stainless cook wear and bowls strainers clean barrels, crocks or jugs vinegar depending on how much you have as to how much of this you need

Hogs are the best animal and the worst there are diseases that can cross between man and animals cholera is one that is serious a concrete pad with flow t a septic tank can produce gas to burn for heat but you need cleaners to keep the area disease free and can eat virtually anything acorns

we cannot eat {we can eat white oak acorns due to their lack of tannin but still need to be cleaned} hogs can eat all nuts even scraps that are considered foul and not be harmed they eat dead decayed animals hide hair bones and all as part of their diet.

a farm or ranch can be arranged and organized to fairly self sufficient status without power like a tractor or power equipment then it takes man power

and a hell of a lot of it.

if you think your fit because you go to the gym and run and cardio your so not as fit as you think in fact I would lay money on it.

Bartering it would be the way to go. If you found your self in a long term SHTF and had the block dependent on you for eggs every day that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Yes it makes you a target but it also gives you your own private will work for food army. If it's going to go bad in 24 hours then you find a way to get some use out of it. Whether that's trading 2 hours labor for an egg or what ever you need etc. The security problem already exist but if you are the one putting food on the table your probably lower on the target list.

i have to agree with you here.

Your dead fridge or freezer works for root vegetable storage keeps it cool in summer and warm in winter. They used to dip eggs in Liquid Glass to seal and preserve them I m not sure what that is, Can everything else. Buy jars now if you havent, you can also dry a lot of things for long term storage.

They used to dip eggs in Liquid GlassQUOTE]

I have read quite a few articles on extending egg storage but that one is a new one. I have heard mineral oil works, but I am still on the fence. I will have to dig to find the information but I read a report that summarized that a government study (trust the information at your own risk) showed that in your fridge eggs will "last" for around 1 month past the sell by date printed on the carton.

there are also solar freezers and 12 volt rfrigeration and freezers. But, old fashion curing and smoking etc etc like evryone here is saying , will work. We always time our slaughters for our family needs. BUT that isnt always going to be the way it is.

there are also solar freezers and 12 volt rfrigeration and freezers. But, old fashion curing and smoking etc etc like evryone here is saying , will work. We always time our slaughters for our family needs. BUT that isnt always going to be the way it is.

That is a good point about the solar freezers jerry. As a matter of fact that played into a bit of my thinking as I put a fair amount of money into a solar battery backup system. I was thinking that I could barter space in my freezers during tough times.

Your dead fridge or freezer works for root vegetable storage keeps it cool in summer and warm in winter. They used to dip eggs in Liquid Glass to seal and preserve them I m not sure what that is, Can everything else. Buy jars now if you havent, you can also dry a lot of things for long term storage.
i belive its called sodium silicate

and you use to be able to buy it at the drug store i dont think its available any more...

"cold cut meats can be canned as well as hot dogs being able to make these items having a grinder morton tender quick sugar spices canning jars lids

stainless cook wear and bowls strainers clean barrels, crocks or jugs vinegar depending on how much you have as to how much of this you need"

Juzcallmesnake

Cmon man, could you at least try to add some punctuation? I have seen your other posts, and you are an intelligent guy but it makes the posts harder to read when everything is crammed together like that... Just saying...