Sign in to follow this  
TCC6310

Carabiners.

I've just found myself finding, and then using alot of them recently and ive found them to be really useful. I actually have one with a knife on it that i actually use as a PDW. These things are extremely useful for climbing also. I would deffintaly suggest for you all to have some one hand for when SHTF.

I have about 20 of the small $0.50 ones in mt BOB for attaching things quickly if needed. Thery are very light and can hold anything up to a few lbs. For more substantial loads, I prefer "Quicklinks" They are like carabiners, but have a threaded nut that shuts them. Little risk of coming open and hold larger loads.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use carabiners for climbing unless they are rated for it. There is a HUGE diffence in quality between a climbing biner and a hardware store/Walmart biner!

Oh yeah I guess i should've mentioned that huh....yeah for anybody that reads this...if your gonna go climbing.... Get the 20-50 dollar biners with the nut and are tested to hold upwards of 600 lbs. Other wise...you might as well kiss all your prepping goodbye!

Carabiners are a great help aid accessory. I have them all over my backpack to hang extra stuff. I even have some ABS plastic ones that are pretty tough, too. I have found though that the ones without a screw down lock will and do manage to come unhooked sometimes. Of course if you are climbing, suspending, rapelling, hauling gear, or any work with a carabiner make sure it is made for that work and has a positive screw down lock with either a thumb or some can even be wrench tightened for a more permanent attachment. I also use them on my hunting tree stand rails for hanging binoculars, rangefinders, canteen, etc. They are really handy.

Yeah, I was in AJROTC at one point, and went to the summer camp training. We scaled a 40 foot wall (scared the ever loving shit out of many people), which is way bigger then you may picture, and we used a very strong carabiner, I forgot to return mine and found it a few days later after camp. Accidentally took it I guess but the camp (army base) was miles away so now I have a military grade carabiner. I also know how to make a rope bridge and tie a few knots, very good skills. But I would agree, those things can save your life but only if your using the quality ones.

At Fort Sill they had us repel down a 180 ft cliff. None of us wanted to do it - they had a couple of "guys" do a demo of the "commando" style (face down and running down the side of the cliff). They got down, did the "slide for life" over Medicine Bluff creek and were then introduced. The school commandant (a BG) and a young, petite 2LT who stood about 5ft 3in and must have weighted all of 90 lbs soaking wet. We ALL went over that cliff.

Another great use of a carabiners is as a pully device. You can attach two to an upper part of a tree branch (ensure it is a big branch that can support some weight) and another on the lower trunk. So when you need to pull something heavy upward it will double your pulling power. Depending on what you need to get accomplish you can also do this horizontal to assist pulling stuff up a ledge, along the ground, etc.

Another great use of a carabiners is as a pully device. You can attach two to an upper part of a tree branch (ensure it is a big branch that can support some weight) and another on the lower trunk. So when you need to pull something heavy upward it will double your pulling power. Depending on what you need to get accomplish you can also do this horizontal to assist pulling stuff up a ledge, along the ground, etc.

good point, the cheap ones are very handy for many things.

Bart and Josh, I am also a graduate of Ft. Sill .