Sign in to follow this  
devildog

What have you done today to better your Prep? II

Did a test on my chisel armour steel knife today. Pryed wood, car door & surplus ammo cans. Things worked out for the most part, but ended up cutting up to of my fingers. LOL. Even though i was wearing leather gloves while testing. Dam blade is quite sharpe.

In GOD I Trust, Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

GS called they got a box of 500 9mm plated RN bullets with my name on it!!,, also practiced heating water on stove for bathing since i got up at 0330hrs only to discover my hot water heater gave up the ghost..hooray for unexpected expenses..no worries tho, brought back fond memories of bathing out of my steel pot in Graf...

Got some compact fluorescent light bulbs on sale today. At 35% off regular price, it's a win win for me, or should i say for the hydro bill. Anyone know where i can get LED household light bulbs for $4 or less per bulb. They need to be the E27 type that screws on to a regular light socket.

If your not " Physically Fit ", then your just Food for the Zombies.LOL.

Just finished loading up some shotgun shells. I ended up using pennies, instead of lead shot, way cheaper these days. The Canadian mint is not making them, pennies that it is anymore. If an intruder gets hit with them, my answer would be, i was only throwing money at the guy, But he would'nt leave. They would be quite effective one would think. Little flying saucers/ninja stars going through a barrel.

Just finished loading up some shotgun shells. I ended up using pennies, . . . . . .

NatGeo did a good Billy The Kid show and examined the myth or reality of the shotgun used with dimes to kill a man.

Their ballistics showed that it would fire but high levels of inaccuracy due to the coins not cutting through the air like a ball of lead does.

Outside of five yards it was not good at all.

Just finished loading up some shotgun shells. I ended up using pennies, instead of lead shot, way cheaper these days. The Canadian mint is not making them, pennies that it is anymore. If an intruder gets hit with them, my answer would be, i was only throwing money at the guy, But he would'nt leave. They would be quite effective one would think. Little flying saucers/ninja stars going through a barrel.

BamaMan is correct. It is a mass to surface area ratio thing. The pennies have too much area for their mass so they decelerate rather quickly. The "defender rounds" for shotguns have discs in them but they are lead (I think) and the mass is high enough to make it pretty lethal. Even so, it is only a close range round. That disc just has too much drag for long range work. Part of the advantage the "Minié Ball" had over the older round shot was the conical shape caused much less drag hence longer range.

If over penetration is not an issue, a rifled slug is probably the best shotgun round there is for defense. Greater range than shot and a HUGE round. Twelve gauge is .748 caliber and 20 gauge is .628 caliber. That is a heck of a man stopper round (or deer, or bear, or pig, or just about anything else!)

BeraMan & Capt Bart, thanks for the infomation. I was planning on using the penny loads for home defence only. Wasen't sure what the actual accuracy would be. Will do my own personal testing at the gun range this saturday & see what happens. I haven't loaded shotgun loads for about 6-7 years, due to the cost of lead these days. It's cheaper to buy factory loaded shotgun shell than loading my own in Canada. Thought i'd try using pennies in the 12 guage hull, 7 pennies in each shell. Glad i only made 10 of these penny loads. I'll see what results i get this saturday.

Thus far this week I've plant Heirloom California Wonder Peppers. These are some of the sweetest tasting peppers ever. We planted about 75 pepper seeds.

We also planted 75 Castle Rock Tomatoes as well. 4 raised bed down and 26 more to go. The weather here as been absolutely wonderful.

By the end of the week I should be planting Beit Alpha Cucumbers and we want to be some Brunswick Cabbage started as well. Brunswick cabbage is known world-wide for producing 5-7 lb heads perfect for sauerkraut.

Spent a couple hours sharpening afew machetes today. Nothing worse than using a dull blade.

Went to princess auto today & picked up a 4 pc dental pick set for $6 + tax.

Right now I'm building shelves for all our supplies. I'm taking it slow, but it feels very satisfying to care about the details, making it sturdy and look good at the same time. I'm thinking about building some alternative energy sources, hopefully it will make us self sustained eventually.

Today I'm stuck at my apt waiting on a delivery so I'm baking bread, biscuits and scones. This does two things for me A.) I get fresh healthy breadstuffs I can do lots with B.) I give it away to the neighbors at times so they're always happy to help me when I need an extra pair of hands for something.

Talked with a life time friend yesterday and planned the utmost bug out plans we could design. I'm taking everything I learn here and making a checklist as well as all we could think of. He's leaving all real estate behind and heading for a location we agreed on that he has ownership in. If all electronics are knocked out, out rolls the mad max vehicle from his garage that has no electronics. I was putting info in my iphone when "duh" write it down and keep it on me because in that case electronics won't work. I am forwarding large amounts of water filtration to this place in advance. He has the firepower. If electronics are knocked out he'll pick me up. If not, then i'll drive there. It's at a remote lake area so food and water source are not an issue. I'll pack survival food any way.

This could drag out too long for you to read but we covered a lot of stuff and I feel much better. Thanks to all that post here because this is becoming my checklist for things you just don't think off. With a fast checklist and plan you can bug out faster.

Took out all the winter clothing from the kids/wifes & my BOB's today. Replaced them with summer clothing.

Did a cleaning on all my firearms & knives as well.