Sign in to follow this  
devildog

What have you done today to better your Prep? II

I made a list of stuff to buy at Sam's Club when I'm off next weekend, and I checked their goods online to look at prices and compare to other suppliers. You can get some major preps there for good prices.

I also ordered 50 feet of black paracord off of Amazon for less than $6.00 with free shipping. I did something else too, but I've forgotten what it was.

You have been some busy men!!!! Today I went to the Bass Pro Shop at Myrtle Beach, SC. The gun display was pitiful. The ammo was in even sadder shape. Was able to purchase some .308, 22LR, and 40 calibre FMJ"S. Also got a hard case for the big "BB" gun. Put up 6 gals of venison gumbo this week. It was really good. Gave away 30 lbs of pasta I made a month or so ago to the Senior Center, so I will most likely run another 50 lbs batch this week. It is easy to make and will last forever.

I finally got around to packing my ALICE pack full. I also stopped by a flea market the other day while I was out picking up a used gun cabinet and picked up a 1lb Coleman propane cylinder that was full for $2.50 and a single mantle propane lantern that turns out to be a Turner LP5 I think for $10.

I bought the Stanley camp cook and cup set. ($15) I'm sure it will scald your palm when you get your chicken soup off the fire.

But,,,,,,,,,,,,, i just can't ignore a cool compact gadget.

Finally got my fingerprints done, and sent off for my CHL :) Amazon order: a sun gauge for checking where to plant in my sad yard this spring; a mini-fire starter, and a homesteading book. I also got to the gym to work on some body prep, and cleaned up all the christmas stuff so I have some space to re-do my BOB's next week. I'm on a roll :)

In keeping in line with upgrading my battery bank and creating my mobile battery bank I brought the following items Plan B: (Some of these items are redundant as I believe in the philosophy that 2 is 1 and 1 is one:

BESTEK 75w Dual USB iPad charger dc ac power inverter car dc 12v to 110v car adapter usb charger car $15.99

CyberPower Mobile Power Inverter Model Number: CPS160SU $29.98

Bayco SL-512 12-Volt 13-Watt Fluorescent Work Light $19.55

RND Power Solutions 2.1A (fast) Dual USB car charger for Smartphones $8.99

RoadPro RP-203EC 12V 12' Extension Cord with Cigarette Lighter Plug $9.35

Equus 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor $15.69

Stinger 4 Gauge Shoc-Krome Crimp Style Ring Terminal 2 Pair $4.95

DC Power Adapter Car Charger for my Laptop Dell Inspiron $7.72

Shoreline Marine Battery Marine Terminal Kit (Red/Black) $8.75

Schumacher Instant Portable Power Source Model Number: XP2260 $59.95

Schumacher Charger Model Number: SSC1500A: $29.99

Went through and re-organized the BOB's and auxillary boxes for them. Moved the items stacked in front of them so that they are a clear straight shot up the stairs. Took inventory again of what I had and updated my shopping list. Rainy day, good for that kind of stuff.

ok I DID NOT buy 1100 rnds of 22lr, 200 rnds 9mm, 2 wool army blankets, 50lbs rice 50lbs beans 25lbs lentils, big can of baking powder, 2 big cans of corn starch, 1 flat green beans 1 flat corn, 1 flat chicken noodle soup 2 2lbs cans of coffee (in 'real' coffee cans), 7 lbs of asst pasta, big box 300+ tea bags, 30 packs asst vegetable seeds,2 books- 'Mini Farming on a 1/4 Acre,' and 'Basic Butchering of Game and Livestock' a Lansky sharpening puck, honing oil, the book 'Lights Out" a 12 pack of qt size 'shelf stable milk' a box of poptarts and a pack of iced oatmeal cookies...

Went to a liquidation store that i visit now & then today & scored 10,000 pkgs of fishing light for the fishing line for $10. They retail for $3.95 per pkg at fishing stores. Here's a picture of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1792[/ATTACH]

hehe, I'm halfway through the cookies as we speak..the evidence will be gone before they find me!..

rayz..

NOW YOU HAVE GONE AND DONE IT!!!

MOOCHIE WILL BE AFTER YOU NOW>>

a box of poptarts and a pack of iced oatmeal cookies... shame on you..sugar is a NO NO>

My g/f is out of town for a few weeks so what do I do....practice clearing my house with different weapons and different routes. I lost track of how many drills I went through and my confidence level in taking care of any situations in my own home has improved drastically. I even discovered some problems that I hadn't thought of, luckily my house has a floorplan and some secrets that make clearing it much easier.

I think of some of my friend's houses and a chill runs down my spine...long hallways with multiple doors, tight floorplans that make a shotgun very difficult to maneuver with, very cluttered rooms, etc. etc. Just like anything else, the more drills I did the more comfortable I was moving with various weapons and old skills that had gotten a little rusty are fresh and good to go again now.

I'm trying to figure out how I want to store the 25 pounds of long grain rice and 20 pounds of pinto beans I bought Saturday. I want to package it in edible portions and not singular gigantic mylar bags crammed down in a bucket. I'm actually thinking of using a dark colored, square shaped, Rubbermaid type of tote box.

For those experienced in this, are gallon sized bags appropriate for this undertaking along with a couple of oxygen absorbers thrown in?

I've used the dry ice "nitro pac" for years-put all but your last bag in the container,then drop a 1-2lb chunk of dry ice on top. Wait 'till it's almost all melted,then put your last bag in,pop the top on&seal it with plastic tape. Works great:I'm using flour I put away in early 2010 with no problems.

Hi ArkansasFan30, I pack my rice in a gallon zip loc bag. Not the kind with the slide loc, but the kind you have to close with you fingers. I then put a large clothing size zip loc bag in a food safe five gallon bucket.(Get those bags 2 in a box at the Dollar Tree). After I fill the bag as tight and full as possible, I zip it up and put the lid on the bucket. I do not use a gamma lid for that. I have rice that is 7 and 8 years old. If you think you might have gotton critters, just rinse it good and run it through a collander. I do the same with beans. My other dehydrated veggies I pack the same way except I do use a gamma lid. BTW, pack some bags of beans and rice together in the same bags and you will only have one bucket of food at a time to keep re-opening.:)

The one galon bags will hold 3 pounds of rice....

Go figure,Im still putting up my last 50lb bag today(rice)..Im doing the Vac seal..2 and 3 and 5 pounds.. 50 lbs of rice fit in 2,5galon buckets..

I still have 20 lbs to go.. lol

No problem Wally, I go through it in my head all the time but actually going through the drills was long overdue for me, I'll team up with my g/f and we'll practice as a team when she gets back plus she'll need to freshen up her skills solo.

I get free food safe buckets with good lids/seals from work (used to ship liquid sugar) and can occassionally get dry ice as well but I've been eyeing those gamma lids. What does everyone think of them, they're not REALLY expensive but definitely not exactly cheap either....worth the expense?

ooops sorry...

1 galon bags=2lbs of rice....

1 glass jar(quart) holds 4 cups of rice..

Lids are ok if your going to be getting in and out of the bucket!!

I break down the large quanitys to 'Usable and Trade" sizes..