Sign in to follow this  
devildog

What have you done today to better your Prep? II

picked up some gauze, tweezers, nail clippers for the kids' packs. My dad (retired Army) had some MRE can openers from way back when that I'm adding to their bags too. We all took a turn trying to open a can and were succesful:D

picked up some gauze, tweezers, nail clippers for the kids' packs. My dad (retired Army) had some MRE can openers from way back when that I'm adding to their bags too. We all took a turn trying to open a can and were succesful:D

Lemonmint,

those can openers are the beloved P-38 most likely. I've had a couple ever since Viet Nam and they are still sharp and still used. There is a larger version (the P-51) which I also carry but the P-38 does the trick when you've got to get a can open.

Finished my list of medical supplies and sources, ordered some .308 ammunition, and picked up some more Magpul rubbery pulls for the rest of my metal mags.

Only thing I can't find is oseltamivir.

My understanding is that oseltamivir, also known as Tamilflu, is a prescription-only medication. I checked my usual sources for over the counter or generic subsitutes and could not find anything. Sorry. Let me know if you do find it.

My understanding is that oseltamivir, also known as Tamilflu, is a prescription-only medication. I checked my usual sources for over the counter or generic subsitutes and could not find anything. Sorry. Let me know if you do find it.

It is prescription only.

I checked with my doctor; apparently Tamilflu is good stuff for up to 10 years PAST its expiration date. The Army did some studies (it was costing them a fortune to throw out and reorder a million or so doses each year) and discovered it is solid well past the 'use by' date. When it does degrade, it apparently loses potency only, it does not become toxic.

I haven't done any deep research on this but it came from my MD.

For today, I checked out the local ranch supply store. Got some peculiar looks from folks in their Carhartt and Wrangler clothes with me in my scrubs, lol. Bought a good bit of Vetwrap for cheap. I knew it was sold cheaper at animal supply places but never had a reason to go in. I was waiting for my barber shop across town to open.

Capt., I've run across something similiar in some research. This is the one drug I've wanted and searched for that I can't find a source for. Darn the luck. Oh, well, guess I'll just have to prescribe myself some in 2015.
why 2015? why not now?

I won't have prescriptive authority until then.

I mentioned to my doc that I was going to England back in the flu season and THEY were rationing Tamiflu, SO he prescribed it for me just in case. As a diabetic I'm not allowed to get sick, so I now have a reliable supply. You might work the trip thing with your doc. It isn't hoarding if there is no shortage.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I bought a FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer today. Started vacuum sealing my cats food then I will go into my car bugout bag and my main house bugout bag and start vacuum sealing the food stuffs and will work on vacuum sealing photo copies of

important documents.

If I am travelling and unable to physically enhance my bugout supplies then I make sure I read some of my survival books while on the road.

with my amazon card i got for christmas i got the bear grylls folder and recieved it yesterday...

Amazon got some business from me today. I found myself sitting somewhere bored, got on my phone, and before I know it I'd purchased some junk off my wish lists although I do love Amazon. I ordered several items that are preppeing and sort of prepping related. I picked up a couple of those Youtube-famous Israeli bandages for my mobile gear and/or patrol bag (for the occasion that I get back to my roots and do some police work!). I also picked up a pretty cool handheld weather radio/AM/FM by Ambient Weather. I'm really excited to get it and add to the collection. I'll probably dedicate this to my Maxpedition GHB/truck/EDC bag. I ordered a package of Wetfire Tinder Cubes. I've seen videos of this and am eager to try one out. I realize this will mostly be a novelty item but they're only about seven bucks. Finally, I picked up a couple items to "accessorize" my aforementioned Maxped. bag.

I bought a FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer today. Started vacuum sealing my cats food then I will go into my car bugout bag and my main house bugout bag and start vacuum sealing the food stuffs and will work on vacuum sealing photo copies of

important documents.

If I am travelling and unable to physically enhance my bugout supplies then I make sure I read some of my survival books while on the road.

Sherrie, I hope you enjoy your sealer as much as I enjoy mine. Just today I bought 15lbs of carrots and 6 cartons of sliced mushrooms....all on sale on the reduced produce stand. Tonight I will start dehydrating. NOTE...when you seal the sliced carrots, first wrap then in some plastic wrap, otherwise the sharp edges will puncture the sealed bag and break the vacuum on it. Today I bought 10 more jars of Planters peanut butter w/cranberries from the Dollar Tree. Saturday I am taking 3 ladies to the military surplus store. I have arranged for the owner to talk to them and demonstrate some items he has.

Purchased and replace ALL light bulbs with LED Bulbs

on my property. I mean every single bulb. This will reduce my energy consumption.

Replaced ALL light switches and converted them to Motion

detectors. This is going to reduce the non-usage of lights in the home.

Place the refrigerator on a 6 hours on 6 hours off timer. Less usage or running the dare thing in the winter.

Brought a 9watt TV/DVD player w/carrying case.

Purchase waterless water tanks for kitchen and bathrooms. Buy additional propane tanks for powering stove and

portable heaters. IMHO water tanks are a serious drain on gas and electricity especially in winter.

Finally got my nefew-inlaw into preping today thank God. It's been almost 3 years to get him to realize the fact he needed to prep. He even came to the gun range today for the first time. Surely got him hooked into the shooting sports. LOL.