Sign in to follow this  
devildog

What have you done today to better your Prep? II

Yesterday I made 50lbs of pasta. Started drying it last night and will vacuum seal and store it tomorroow. Bought another 1000 paper plates and 300 paper cups. Added alot of first aide supplies including suturing stuff, medications, antiseptics. TP and PT, also got alot of ammo for my gun, ammo for my sling shot, fire starters, gun cleaning kit and some really neat thingies to go on my key chain. Over holiday break I will be teaching my teenage grandkids how to forage, how to throw a cast net and where and how to seine. I hope we will have time to oyster some.Keep on keeping on!

Hello Wettahook, May I ask... what does HOW DO SEINE mean?

Checked my one pair of underwear for holes and thought I might buy a pair just in case.

they hate it when I walk around with that hospital gown they run and get me some V.A. jammies

roam free my brothers.

Juzcallmesnake, are you in the hospital? We need to tell those nurses to run LOL

tindrwolf, how much space is needed for one of those setups? What kinds of vegatables can you grow?

Shawn, a hydroponic system can be as big or as small as you want. I am in the process of refurbishing an old aquapomics system, and it will probably support about 6 head of lettuce, or 6 tomato plants, along with a cintainer of potatoes. Your imagination is the limit with hydroponics.

Today I brought some new items for my battery bank. I'll post pics later. Trying to supersize my battery bank and get extra (back-ups) for the stuff I already have. Also brought some 10kg sugar, chocolate cover nuts, 4kg of peanuts, extra can of coffee and black tea.

tindrwolf, how much space is needed for one of those setups? What kinds of vegatables can you grow?

shaw it depends all on how much you want to grow. The beauty of using pVC is that you can make it any size and shape you want for the space needed. google small hydroponics systems and you will get a ton of material, youtube it as well

Seining is taking a net and walking it through a stream for example to catch fish. Think of taking a vollleyball net, having your buddy hold one end while you hold the other and walking against the current in a stream to catch some fish. It's really a lot of fun. We even did it back in college to do taxonomy with.

I shipped four more water systems which will fund my bug out/in efforts.

I buy in double so my wife's bag will be complete. Problem is, she'll put them both in her bag so I have to watch her.

30yrs of marriage, she's just probably wanting me to be minus something so i'll need her.................lol

Seining is dragging a net attached to two poles. Hold the poles at about a 40 degree angle and walk (takes 2 people). After you've walked a bit, lift the net so that it holds the content, in my case shrimp. You will get other little creatures....throw out what you don't want.

Juzcallmesnake, are you in the hospital? We need to tell those nurses to run LOL

sorry sherrie at the VA not too many nurses I would want they are too busy and i would bet too tired when they get off

got some fine looking doctors one of them was 27 she was a looker but still on her residency so she does not have time

either but she could share my jello anytime LOL.

Today was purchase more stuff fro the off-grid system will be building a mobile battery bank. Brought two inverters (1) 3K watt and (1) 800 watt both can be used for back-up if need be (I'll p/u a 1500 watt inverter after the holidays). Got 2 USB DC chargers 2.1A, one 4 way DC socket extension, battery cables (I really need to make my own but a bit time restricted), and battery and charging system monitor. I am really getting ready for some serious off-grid upgrading and wanted to have a mobile battery bank for the truck at is stand alone and could power or recharge a remote location. The system can be ran stand alone, charged with a solar panel or re-charge from another vehicle in a worst case scenario.

Today I brought some new items for my battery bank. I'll post pics later. Trying to supersize my battery bank and get extra (back-ups) for the stuff I already have. Also brought some 10kg sugar, chocolate cover nuts, 4kg of peanuts, extra can of coffee and black tea.

Are We on the metric system?

With recent events in the news...

Got me a shovel to go with my ammo

That seams to be the "natural "thing to do..But if they come for ammo..they want the other steel too...

Stay GRAY is all I can say..and if your here..well u know

Today I turned the water pumps off to the house. I didn't tell the family. Just checking to see if we are abusing the water privileges/goals we set up for ourselves on a regular basis. I also want to observe our water consumption to see how long it takes to empty the tanks. I know fore sure I need to add another 2000 liter tank soon as a back-up! Will let you know how it all turns out in a few days.

i reloaded 95 shotgun shells with old fashioned carpet tacks , the little black ones made of iron.. i got a great deal on them from home despot , 40 lbs for about 8 bucks.. zombies beware ..

This guy took to loading anything people asked him to into shotgun shells. Fun video http://teotwawkiblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/something-fun-random-shotgun-loads.html

Got a nice Kershaw knife, bought a 12 volt water pump and a portable car booster to run the pump.I am going to use it to replace the water in my 55 gallon drums,hand pumping is no fun. I also got a water filter straw good for up to a 1000liters of water. Got the booster and straw from Amazon and the water pump from Harbor Freight. Also changed the batteries in several lanterns and flashlights.

Tested my German military surplus Parka and liner..40 miles per hour winds and 20 degrees..

ooooo Im was toastey warm .B)

Oh and Rick I got you of thoses Neck things you talked about to match..VERY NICE!!!!scared the local corner store clerk..lol

Today I turned the water pumps off to the house. I didn't tell the family. Just checking to see if we are abusing the water privileges/goals we set up for ourselves on a regular basis. I also want to observe our water consumption to see how long it takes to empty the tanks. I know fore sure I need to add another 2000 liter tank soon as a back-up! Will let you know how it all turns out in a few days.

Just finished checking the water tank. Remember I did not tell the family that I shut off the water main to the house. In 3 days we used 260 gallons in our home with 2 adults and 2 children. We also washed 2 loads a clothes. The next test will be done next week and we will do it with the training scenario that the Shit has hit the fan. Toilet flushing down to a minimal, washing clothes by hand, and other water conservative ideas.

Well, I just ordered 100 count of oxygen absorbers to help keep my dehydrated food in good condition. Am also about to go out and buy some jerky marinade and some cheap cuts of steaks and some veggies to dehydrate once the oxy absorbers come in. May make a small batch of jerky tonight just to see how it is. Also buying at least a case (12 cans) of canned goods and some extra rice. Yum.