Sign in to follow this  
devildog

What have you done today to better your Prep? II

Made a pair of 5volt Rectifier Jumper Cables. Just small jumper cables that drop voltage from 12volts to 5v

FOr my solar project; Ill be able to charge the storage batteries off any 12volt source (car battery, motorcycle, boat, commercial & Residential UPS) in case theres no sun for a while.

Ordered my SOG knife today, ordered my fish net and my knife sharpeners.

Packed some special magnetic clip eyeglasses so they are handy on outside of BOB in case I need to

use compass or map. Bought Star of Anise for FIrst Aid bag to use against Lice infestation.

Think thats it. Think thats it for today.

Applied for my handgun permit. Dehydrated 40lbs of sweet potatoes, 15lbs of apples, bagged 100-2 serving breakfasts, 100-2 serving lunches, 100-2 serving dinners, 50 servings of dried fruits, 50 servings of various snacks. I am going to try dehydrating some salmon and halibut next week. My sis and I are working on our saline distillery. Bought 6-55 gal barrels. Bought 20 gals water. This was all done in the last 2 weeks.

I hope your Planning to come to the "Meeting"...and please bring some fish...lol

Navyvet-77 I would like to see the plans for that also!!

I received my Swiss Army stove today!!!!

It Is LIKE NEW and is sweet..will be testing it and my Bamboo logs Soon..

Today, I packed my new EDC/GHB/it's just so darn handy bag replacing my all black The North Face backpack with a Maxpedition Falcon 2 with matching water bottle holder. I can say so far that I preferred the North Face, lol, and I've got to say it's not easy finding a solid color TNF bag. I have my reasons for making the swap though. I added a few things to the Maxped bag that didn't work too well with my TNF bag so that's a plus.

I also finally ordered a 3 point sling for my Mossberg 590. I've been wanting one for oh about five years, but it never topped my priority list. That is forthcoming, and I'm interested to see how it works for me.

Also, before work tonight, I pulled some cans and boxes of items from my food stash to use for upcoming holiday meal preparations. That'll help with my FIFO methods. I sat down with the Latter Day Saints (I'm a Baptist) master inventory list for "preparing" and found that I've got about 2/3 of the items on there counting the things I've aquired by merely being alive and the prepping stock.

Today I ordered a new seine net and a clam diggger Most of the time I use my feet to search for clams. I decided to try a digger. Also obtained a recipe for brining and drying shrimp. I'm excited to try this out. My son is bringing me 6-55 gal plastic barrels tomorrow. We are going to fill them with high quality garden soil and tuck them away. If we survive a nuclear attack, the soil may work or not, but the barrels and the soil is free. Oh, Walmart has 98 cent LED yard stake lights so I got 10 of them. I use them inside when we loose power. Tomorrow I will take the left-over turkey and bones to make soup to can.

Just got my previously mentioned deal on "managed recoil" shotgun shells in from UPS. I got an array of Remington 12 guage 00 buck and slug. They all fit quite nicely into a Fox Tactical black mechanic's tool bag for easy shelving and transporting which was of planned design. I got bored at work one night and drew a rectangle on my desk with the aide of a ruler and drew in the five count boxes of shells. Well, that was fun, but now I'm bored again.

Today I ordered a new seine net and a clam diggger Most of the time I use my feet to search for clams. I decided to try a digger. Also obtained a recipe for brining and drying shrimp. I'm excited to try this out. My son is bringing me 6-55 gal plastic barrels tomorrow. We are going to fill them with high quality garden soil and tuck them away. If we survive a nuclear attack, the soil may work or not, but the barrels and the soil is free. Oh, Walmart has 98 cent LED yard stake lights so I got 10 of them. I use them inside when we loose power. Tomorrow I will take the left-over turkey and bones to make soup to can.

Tell me about this gardening soil. Where did you get it, and how will you store it without it drying out. Nuclear attack is the least of your concerns, but I can see the utility in having some soil stashed away. I'd like to know your storing methods. I've only recently inherited by late father's green thumb.

Good idea on the lights! Let them charge outside by day and then use them inside for a while at night to light up a walk path in a dark home.

Picked up a Blackhawk serpa holster for my Glock 20 today. It was back ordered for over 7 1/2 months.

Heck, I would've sold you mine, lol. I bought one for a Glock 21 (same size as 20) back in 2008 and used with some plain clothes assignments prior to a career change earlier this year. I still have a Glock 21, but I always felt like the Serpa rode to high up for my long, ape-like arms. I wonder if it was just difficult getting one in Canada.

1000 paper plates, 500 cups, 36 rolls of PT, 166 roll TP,3 rolls plastic wrap,10 boxes qt. zip lock bags,2 gals bleach, 3 bottles Lysol, 6 prs heavy duty elbow length rubber gloves. That is all the Black Friday shopping I did. Will answer your question about the gal barrels when they get here. I know they are heavy dense plastic with screw on lids. They can be made air proof. My son's a chemist for a power plant, specializes in water. He gets them 10 for ten $ .They come with a heavy plastic liner and contain chemicals for water treatment. He says they are very safe and efficient for my uses. My son ended up having to work and can't get here before next week-end. Maybe I can get a picture on here.

Just got my new swiss army knife explorer and bought EDIBLE MEDICINAL PLANTS OF THE ROCKIES by Linda Kershaw and ordered Making Plant Medicine by Richo Cech and ordered Dr.Bones And Nurses Amys book and received 5 1 litre platypus collapsible water bottles in the mail today as well. PHEW!

Ordered my SOG knife today, ordered my fish net and my knife sharpeners.

Packed some special magnetic clip eyeglasses so they are handy on outside of BOB in case I need to

use compass or map. Bought Star of Anise for FIrst Aid bag to use against Lice infestation.

Think thats it. Think thats it for today.

Cool nice heads up on the lice control, I did not know about this great info Sherrie thanks

The old GF and I went out for a stroll around the downtown area this afternoon, wandered into a local gun shop and spent nearly 45 minutes perusing pistols trying to find one she liked. Finally, the guy went to the back and pulled out a new Glock 19, and she fell in love with it so I bought it for her as an early Christmas gift. The cool thing about keeping up my LE creds are that I got to buy it under the blue label program for less than the same shop sold a used one for. Sweetness and a Merry Christmas for the both of us. So I helped another to prep. A case of 9mm ammo, some hollow points, extended slide release, and cleaning kit will find themselves under the tree with her name on it.

I know I seem to talk mostly about firearms related stuff in this thread, but that's not the most important thing to prepping. What I read or practice isn't quite as fun to talk about, plus firearms were a hobby for me decades before prepping was.

The old GF and I went out for a stroll around the downtown area this afternoon, wandered into a local gun shop and spent nearly 45 minutes perusing pistols trying to find one she liked. Finally, the guy went to the back and pulled out a new Glock 19, and she fell in love with it so I bought it for her as an early Christmas gift. The cool thing about keeping up my LE creds are that I got to buy it under the blue label program for less than the same shop sold a used one for. Sweetness and a Merry Christmas for the both of us. So I helped another to prep. A case of 9mm ammo, some hollow points, extended slide release, and cleaning kit will find themselves under the tree with her name on it.

I know I seem to talk mostly about firearms related stuff in this thread, but that's not the most important thing to prepping. What I read or practice isn't quite as fun to talk about, plus firearms were a hobby for me decades before prepping was.

Yeah some one else made that observation a while back.

"What do you want to talk about my canned beans and rice or my new rifle?"

The rifle seems to win every time.

Besides the usual monthly trip to Costco...

I picked up a 16" EastWing Camping Axe http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202183838/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Estwing+268-E44A+67001+16%22&storeId=10051

THe perfect combination of a practicle TOOL and the Mall Ninja battle axe

Why? Last time i went camping I was trying to use my BG Machette to chop small kindling stuff down to size and wasnt very productive.

THis should get the job done. ... And perfect Zombie melee wep.

I picked up a 16" EastWing Camping Axe

THe perfect combination of a practicle TOOL and the Mall Ninja battle axe

And perfect Zombie melee wep.

Remember to wear protection like some of juzcallmesnake's condoms to keep that zombie fluid off of you. ;)

Read like a fiend in my new book Edible & Medicinal Plants of the Rockies. Tried to practice knots but got fed up,

Read a bit from the SAS Survival Guide and reading this forum always educates me.

Also tried to talk to my brother about earthquake preparedness. What a waste of breath.

Dont worry about it Sher. Okay, well just tell me if you have done anything at all.

Yeah, I have a first aid kit in my car.

Oh good, okay, do you have water. Yeah in my toilet tank.

Ummm okay, do you have a filter for that water. Naw, Dont worry about it Sher.

Knowing my brother I cant bring it up again now. He wont like that I am more prepared than him.

His days are numbered.

Applied for my handgun permit. Dehydrated 40lbs of sweet potatoes, 15lbs of apples, bagged 100-2 serving breakfasts, 100-2 serving lunches, 100-2 serving dinners, 50 servings of dried fruits, 50 servings of various snacks. I am going to try dehydrating some salmon and halibut next week. My sis and I are working on our saline distillery. Bought 6-55 gal barrels. Bought 20 gals water. This was all done in the last 2 weeks.

Wettahook, I have a dehydrator. Do you vacum bag the dehydrated goods? If so how long will they last if you vacum bag .

The only thing I have dehydrated with my dehydrator are a few fruits and I make good beef jerky but it all gets eaten so quick that I dont worry about long term storage.

Can you recommend a good vacum brand if thats how you are doing it and how long would the food last?

Please and thanks

How many in a carton these days? Is that like getting a gross of bottle rockets? Just wonderin'.....

If anything, this is the product that needs to include that "30% more for free" deal instead of something like a box of oatmeal. Now if only the other half would actually learn to buy and use them.