Sign in to follow this  
devildog

What have you done today to better your Prep? II

yesterday I picked up some old gym type lockers, got them for nothing. They are going to used for many different things.

I know that a locker with a small lock on it is not very secure, but it will deter the bastards.

I picked up some more over the counter meds and gauze. Also started reading How To Survive The End Of The World As We Know It by James Welsley, Rawles. Seems like a good book so far. About 30 pages into it.

the newspaper fire logs i made last week are still wet so i havnt got to try them out yet but i ended up with 67 2" wide logs.my grandmother came to visit and brought me a box full with medical supplies. good ones too not the ones your gonna buy from a wallyworld. along with some lidacaine. i bought new packs for both the wife and i, and a few extra new goodies, hammock, new cook set, sleeping bag. i also ordered a new mora online when ordering a outward hound sadle bag for my dog. gonna start gettin him used to that now before the next camp trip. im also going to help my dad pick out a bag.

Went with oldest son to my dads at one of my possible BOLs helped a little with some little things around the place picked up .22 he bought kids for Christmas ( yes I know that it was 6 monthes ago) and we took son out shooting poor kid had us both over his shoulder "teaching" but he still got better, as for me I shoot a few rounds with him at 25 yards I was spinning a 2" plate with my .22 pistol and off handed with the new rifle enough to give me hope that I could still feed my family if I needed to!

just bought a #10 can of augason farms vegetarian meat substitute beef flavor. never eaten anything vegetarian but this can was only 10 bucks for 2lb.s approx. 40 servings. im gonna open it and use it for backpacking and see how tasty it is i just might buy more for long term preps. let me know if you guys know anything about this product. thanks

Just got an order of some more Augason farms (25yr) long term storable items from Sams Online.

Also picked up a couple of .50 cal. cans for ammo storage and some more propane and Coleman fuel for the Lanterns and stoves a week or so back.

Got another half dozen driveway solar lights from Lowes for extra lighting

inside if needed. Just put them down in a gallon jug or 2 liter bottle with

some water or sand in them and poof, night light. Stick'em back outside and

let'em charge during the day.

Edited by desert rat

Hi Desert Rat: I just read your post above and I'm curious about the Augason Farms foods. Have you tried them before? I'm wondering how they compare to Mountain House or others. I looked them up on Sam's site and it does seem like they have a good and reasonably priced assortment of products. I need to get off the pot and get some long-term food stored.

Edited by MikeE

Hi Desert Rat: I just read your post above and I'm curious about the Augason Farms foods. Have you tried them before? I'm wondering how they compare to Mountain House or others. I looked them up on Sam's site and it does seem like they have a good and reasonably priced assortment of products. I need to get off the pot and get some long-term food stored.

Sup MikeE? I've looked at the reviews is all. We did open one of the dried 100% milks and use it. It was pretty

good! This stuff ships in #10 cans, so it's open it and use it or loose it. Take the scrambled eggs mix, there's

92 servings in one can. So we don't open anything, it goes in storage in the mancave! I've got alot of the Wise

storable foods in pails. It comes in 5 serving bags and I wanted some stuff to be able to do single servings and

found the Augasons at Sams online. They had the butter, milk, cheese dehydrated peppers and onions and I

figured that would make one heck of an omlet. So I've been collecting their storable #10 cans for about 2yrs now.

I've attained quite abit of there long term storables and hope I never have to use it but most of it will keep for

25yrs if unopened. Some, like the milk will only keep for 10yrs sealed. and most needs to be used in one yr after

opening. They have a good selection and I figure if anyone gets hungry they'll eat it. Don't forget to get containers of seasoning, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and such. It'll give bland stuff some pizzaz. Wal-mart has small containers of the seasons in their camping supplies.

Myself, I can get away with two meals a day. I worry about the wife, kids and my grandson, if they can make it here "IF" TSHTF. Oh! My bad, the grandson and I did get into the honey coated bananers and they were great!

I've also collected a lot of the Mountain House single 1&2 serving pkgs. I've mostly put that in BOBs, GHBs and cached some them with other stuff at two other locations.

Generally every trip to Sams consists of me buying something for the prepping

issue. However you cannot buy the Augason Farms long term storable food in

Sams, you must order it online. That sucks, but it works for me!

Edited by desert rat

Yeah, I've got the M.House singles in the BOBs. I tried a few of them before buying enough for our two 72 hour BOBs. They weren't bad. I'd like to stay as "grey" as possible when buying. Don't want the govt to consider me a hoarder, ya know. LOL. I always use cash when possible but I assume that the Sam's stores don't keep this stuff on hand, forcing one to order on line. I guess I'll add a few more shelves in the basement, and get this project done. Thanks for the info

I found a 25 page Augason Foods preparedness manual on the Sam's site and printed it out. I'll be reading that tonight. Hopefully it's general enough with some suggestions (and not just a sales pitch).

Edited by MikeE

Yeah, I've got the M.House singles in the BOBs. I tried a few of them before buying enough for our two 72 hour BOBs. They weren't bad. I'd like to stay as "grey" as possible when buying. Don't want the govt to consider me a hoarder, ya know. LOL. I always use cash when possible but I assume that the Sam's stores don't keep this stuff on hand, forcing one to order on line. I guess I'll add a few more shelves in the basement, and get this project done. Thanks for the info

Well, FYI. They have shipped the stuff I've ordered indiscretly in unmarked boxes.That does keep the Gladys Kravitz of the neighborhood disinterested.

I know, there's still that payment record.

Can't do nothing about that, but as far as "GRAY" goes, I believe we gave that up when we registered here at survival cache. JMO

Nothing against SC!

Good luck with your venture, dr

Edited by desert rat

Question about Sams club. Do you have to be a member to purchase the Augason Foods products? We have no Sam's clubs in our area & would hate to have to join just so I can purchase their food products. There are other products out there that I assume would be equal to them. The Wise company comes to mind. Would like to know which tastes better since I'm sure cost is simular.