Sign in to follow this  
devildog

What have you done today to better your Prep? II

I went to Walmart today a stumbled across a good sale on their Equate brand of over the counter meds so I stocked up on A LOT of acetaminophen, aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, diphenhydramine, and loperamide which I've never needed before but figured I'd get. At the check out counter I found a bundle pack of of six Bic lighters lighters for less than two dollars and picked up a couple of those as well.

went thru every flash light/head lamp/camp light and changed the batteries. wrote on each battery the install date with sharpie. some of the lights were dim due to old batteries. took old batteries to store that does battery recycling and disposal.

Awake, great idea. I go through my EDC bag on daily bases, but haven't checked my batteries actually for a long time and to write install date on each battery with sharpie, something I never ever even thought about. Thanks

This may not be exactly what others think of (as I didn't until I was reading the thread) but watched "We Were Soldiers" (wife turned it on actually). No, this didn't physically help my preps but it reminded me WHY I prep as it shows the sacrifices made by those who went before me (US) to give me the oppurtunities I have/had and the Freedom I cherish and want to leave as an inheritance for my children and their children. I just needed a "down" day after the last couple days of keeping the "good fight" going.

The only thing I hate are the questions while watching these movies, but I hope it means she's coming around a little or possibly understanding why I am the way I am. Thanks to all for standing the wall and prepping to ensure the sacrifices of too many weren't in vain and our future generations will be able to breathe free air.

Thanks for a great idea! I'm getting one of these asap.

There are a couple of You Tube videos on how to refill a small bottle. It should be refrigerated (NOT FROZEN) for a few hours prior to help the transfer. I have 8-10 small bottles and didn't want to dispose of them as I have a small, portable Weber grill I really like.

Went for an impromptu hike yesterday to explore a wooded area for possible E&E route. I ended up hiking/walking about 6-7 miles round trip. Lessons learned, make sure I grab my regular glasses and not just wear my sunglasses, it got dark before I made it back to my vehicle. I did accomplish what I set out to do and made a quick recon of an area I have seen but never visited before. It also reinforced always having my pack with me, so when I make an unplanned excursion, I have my basics.

Also, my feet are NOT used to walking very far in moccasins on pavement anymore. I had a short hike down a bike trail to reach the woods. At least my ankle didn't hurt so much after the hike, so that's a good thing for me.

I received my order of these stoves today. Bought two. They get great ratings and I can attest to its seemingly strong construction. I need to get a few bottles of the butane-propane fuel mix and will submit a report after I have tried it. Got it as a backup. Amazingly compact.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Stove-Ignition/dp/B004U8CP88/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1347576204&sr=8-31&keywords=Portable+propane+stove

Bought yet another Tokarev and a 1240 round tin of ammo for it. I got a hell of a deal ..$300 for both. Picked up a box of 7.62x54R sp for hunting. Got 500 lbs of corn at a really good price..$80. Pimped out one of my sks with a ati stikeforce pro plus stock and scope combo. also ordered a bi-pod, muzzle reducer and tac flashlight for it(I am a firm beleiver that a plain jane gun is usually best....but I needed a project) Ordered a para-cord belt for my sons cub scout uniform(thanks tinderwolf) Filled my 250 gallon fuel tank. Topped of our pasta horde with the last of my mylar bags(25 lbs of assortied pasta). completed my salt stock (200 lbs). put up 50lbs of sugar and a 15 poiunds of coffee along with 1000 tea bags. Plan on digging a pit for our systern (400 gallon) tomorrow.

I think it's on it's way(shtf) and spent the last week wrapping up all my loose ends. Hope ya'll have done the same. Been fun comparing notes with you guys but right or wrong I won't be back after today.GWG.

I received my order of these stoves today. Bought two. They get great ratings and I can attest to its seemingly strong construction. I need to get a few bottles of the butane-propane fuel mix and will submit a report after I have tried it. Got it as a backup. Amazingly compact.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Stove-Ignition/dp/B004U8CP88/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1347576204&sr=8-31&keywords=Portable+propane+stove

This thing is as advertised. Plugged it onto a fuel bottle and it ignited immediately using the piezo. At full throttle it is like a blow torch and it heated a cup of water in no time. Once it cools off it nicely fits back into it's case. Highly recommend for use while backpacking or as a backup. I'll keep one in my "bag of tricks" that resides in the back of my truck.