Sign in to follow this  
devildog

What have you done today to better your Prep? II

I am thinking on vacuum sealing some of my stuff for long term. Do any of you have experience with vacuum sealers, like which brand would be preferable and or tips on what to do with it?? Are they even a good idea?

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah...got a sling for my Mossberg shotgun.

Few days ago: picked up new mossberg 930 SPX 12ga, went shooting with it, bought more ammo, picked up a mylar blanket, bought more ammo, bought some 5 gal food grade buckets for Rayz.

Today: Purchased a CFP-90 backpack to use as my bug out bag, gonna give my old bag to Rayz (Shhhh don't tell!)

http://tonystactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=115

Edited by Mudbass7

picked up a Atlas 150MM pasta maker for 5 bucks at good will or a yard sale I cannot remember

as they were on the same day and I went to about 5 sales crazy good day.

just needed a handle ordered that yesterday should be herein a couple of days.

now I am going to start making fresh pasta and got some recipes off the net for colored vegetable pastas

and some flavored pastas so I can use my hand roller cutter for making lasagna pasta

and now I can get the ravioli making kit as I can roll concentric width and thickness and try my hand at drying

pasta.

Devildog. The basic Food Saver brand at Wally world is as good as it gets for the money, about 100 bucks. Get both sizes of the rolls and make custome sized bags for what ever you want to seal. I use mine regularly for everything from leftovers to first aid supplies, Ammo, anything you want to keep dry, or keep from leaking inside your BOB. Its uses are only limited to your imagination. Works great for separating bulk packs of meat for the freezer. Are they worth it, hell yeah.

Straydog

Devildog. The basic Food Saver brand at Wally world is as good as it gets for the money, about 100 bucks. Get both sizes of the rolls and make custome sized bags for what ever you want to seal. I use mine regularly for everything from leftovers to first aid supplies, Ammo, anything you want to keep dry, or keep from leaking inside your BOB. Its uses are only limited to your imagination. Works great for separating bulk packs of meat for the freezer. Are they worth it, hell yeah.

Straydog

Thanks,bunches Straydog! That's the kind of info I was looking for. I was kind of leaning towards that one, but I just love it when others will share their experiences.

picked up a Atlas 150MM pasta maker for 5 bucks at good will or a yard sale I cannot remember

as they were on the same day and I went to about 5 sales crazy good day.

just needed a handle ordered that yesterday should be herein a couple of days.

now I am going to start making fresh pasta and got some recipes off the net for colored vegetable pastas

and some flavored pastas so I can use my hand roller cutter for making lasagna pasta

and now I can get the ravioli making kit as I can roll concentric width and thickness and try my hand at drying

pasta.

Good luck,been using one for years,even got the electric motor for it,fresh pasta is great,specially the oriental noddles,wow.

My better half had spent a couple days this week taking enventory, rearranging and rotating the prep-pantries and yep, she had a list. She hit the sale items at the local Kroger on Thursday for a few things. I guess all this had really put her in the prepping mode, as she informed me we were going to be busy this weekend.

Yesterday (Sat) was sort of a rainy day here, so it was indoor activities for us. Off to Wally we went despite it being "tax free" weekend. Along with the remaining items on her list, I picked up a 22 cal bore snake for 3 bucks (pac opened), a 1oz bottle of "Rem Oil" for 50 cents (Pac opened), and a 3 more pacs of bayonet type lantern mantles on the bargain isle. After returning home and date stamping the goods, she informs me that she wants to "re-do" her BOB on Sunday and I should do the same!

My better half had spent a couple days this week taking enventory, rearranging and rotating the prep-pantries and yep, she had a list. She hit the sale items at the local Kroger on Thursday for a few things. I guess all this had really put her in the prepping mode, as she informed me we were going to be busy this weekend.

Yesterday (Sat) was sort of a rainy day here, so it was indoor activities for us. Off to Wally we went despite it being "tax free" weekend. Along with the remaining items on her list, I picked up a 22 cal bore snake for 3 bucks (pac opened), a 1oz bottle of "Rem Oil" for 50 cents (Pac opened), and a 3 more pacs of bayonet type lantern mantles on the bargain isle. After returning home and date stamping the goods, she informs me that she wants to "re-do" her BOB on Sunday and I should do the same!

Sounds like a real keeper there!

Got three new cold steel knives that I am very excited about. Bushman..bushman Bowie and the srk. Put a few more cans of food on the shelves.

Sounds like a real keeper there!

Got three new cold steel knives that I am very excited about. Bushman..bushman Bowie and the srk. Put a few more cans of food on the shelves.

TW, she has come a long way in the last decade and definitely a keeper, LOL. Came home one day several years ago with her own 870 Youth model 20 ga, a 100 pack of Federal 7 1/2s and a hunting license announcing she was going Dove hunting. As a matter of fact, not only has she spread the contents of her BOB on the living room floor this morning, she has her camo duds in the washer in anticipation of Sept 1; Opening day of Dove season in NE Texas! I believe she got the "Dove Buckets" out of the shed last week. pretty fair in the kitchen, and easy on the eye.

TW, she has come a long way in the last decade and definitely a keeper, LOL. Came home one day several years ago with her own 870 Youth model 20 ga, a 100 pack of Federal 7 1/2s and a hunting license announcing she was going Dove hunting. As a matter of fact, not only has she spread the contents of her BOB on the living room floor this morning, she has her camo duds in the washer in anticipation of Sept 1; Opening day of Dove season in NE Texas! I believe she got the "Dove Buckets" out of the shed last week. pretty fair in the kitchen, and easy on the eye.
while my wife has gone hunting with me a few times I would love to see her come home with her own gun and ammo!

today i dehydrated 15 lbs of pears for storage . i did so without using lemon juice or anything artificial using my GE dehydrator. tomorrow, i plan on doing up some more fruits (apples) and turkey jerky ..sounds like a plan to me..

Today was a good day!

I went to town today and picked up a spare magazine for my Ruger LCP. I also learned that it fits really well in the watch pocket of my jeans. I wondered where I'd put it, and that's where it'll live. I also grabbed a spare 30 round Magpul Pmag ($14.00) for my AR. I can't believe the LCP mag ($28.90 after tax)cost twice what I paid for the Magpul. Geez. But...

I ordered a Marlin 60SN (70650)!! I actually don't have a semi-auto .22 - just bolt-actions. Well, I have a Remington Speedmaster, but it has always jammed a lot which irritates the fire out of me so it sits clean and well taken care of in the gun cabinet where it's been for 30 years and where it'll be for another 30. Once the Marlin 60, or what I've been calling my M60 (LOL) gets here I'll buy a scope, get it bore mounted, and buy a light sling. I'm going to pick up another 2,000 rounds to stock with it as well.

I also ordered quite a bit of gold and silver coins from Texas Precious Metals. I've been putting this off for a few months, and when I calculated that I lost around $340 by waiting and putting it off I jumped on it instantly.

Cool stuff.

Ok so i was raised in suburbia. Never really tried to grow food. Early this year i built a raised planting surface and decided of all things to grow pole beans. It has been an eye opening experience. But today i pulled in five 1 gallon sized zip lock bags of cleaned beans. My grandfather would have been proud.

Ok so i was raised in suburbia. Never really tried to grow food. Early this year i built a raised planting surface and decided of all things to grow pole beans. It has been an eye opening experience. But today i pulled in five 1 gallon sized zip lock bags of cleaned beans. My grandfather would have been proud.

Same here - fello Suburbanite. However, my parents lived on an acre lot. We still have that house, and my widowed mother lives in it. All the houses in that development actually got an acre which is RARE. Anyway, nearly every summer my mom and dad raised fairly large garden. Granted, most of the items weren't things that would sustain a person, yet I got to see it all in action. I've yet to try and replicate it, but I want to. I've read a good bit about raised bed gardening and think this is the way. Row gardening is entirely too inefficient. Just ask the kid that had to pull up tomato sticks and hoe weeds (me). Fortunately, I inherited, by way of a Crafstman tool fanatic, a NICE Craftsman tiller. I haven't used it, but just a month ago I was tinkering with it making sure everything was still in good working order along with all the other outdoor power equipment. I'm ready. Just need seeds, lol.

added 12 cans each corn,green beans.2 propane cylinders, a packof 50 02 absorbers, 2 cases each pint and quart canning jars, xtra box of lids, a replacement lid for one of my buckets, 2 jars of peanut butter and a giant jar of pickles,planted a sweet potato that was sprouting (seems to be doing well), oh and i took a bath ;)