Sign in to follow this  
devildog

What have you done today to better your Prep? II

Don't know Navyvet. It doesn't take much to make a vehicle roll on a smooth surface, all the stress is in taking off or if slack gets pulled out.. (don't mean to state the obvious). I really don't think it would be worth it for any reason besides it takes up minimal space. It takes around 8" of cord for each INCH of 4-strand, so you'd have A LOT tied up in just a short rope.

Bought some personal defense ammo and got serious about working out. I'm not overweight but need to get in better overall shape. So far, so good. I feel much better after each session on the Bowflex.

Oh I agree Regulator, and that thought occurred to me when I was almost finished with it. I ended up just kinda rolling it up on a carabiner and clipping it on my bag. I like the 4-strand braid though, I got 17' braided up in it.

I seen troops make "covers" for their dogtag chains out of the outer shell of the paracord. I showed a couple the error of their ways before a hajji did...lol. I don't even like collars on my shirts because they offer a stronger material to use for choke holds.

Thumper, I wouldn't use paracord for a necklace. It's a personal choice, but I prefer not having something with a higher tensile strength than my neck has wrapped around my neck. I even rig my hairpipe chokers and medicine bag to break easily. I'd rather repair them often than have them be my end. JMO

Agree with you on this unless you've put a 'weak link' in the necklace. I sometimes need to wear an ID around my neck - I always have a weak link on each side of the strap. I use the sides so that it breaks whether it is pulled from the sides, front or the back. I saw the effects of a mechanic getting his dog tags caught in a swash plate on a Huey's rotor system. Fortunately the chain did break but not before he'd nearly been scalped by the rotor system. He also looked like someone had tried to slice through his neck from behind. He lived but he was really badly hurt. After that I started making sure the chain would break, no matter where it was grabbed.

went to a garage sale today bought a Pelican 2000 flashlight for a dollar {25 dollar lite}

waterproof Unbreakable Unconditionally Guaranteed - forever.

It takes C batteries so I made adapters with 3/4 inch PVC and some electrical tape to use AA

batteries works like a champ am testing it to see how long the AA batteries last versus the C size

site states they operate for 6 hours I figure AA will operate it 2 hours on cheap batteries.

pretty bright with the zenon bulb, might be worth getting some rechargeable C batteries.

Guest kevin

well i haven't had a lot of time to work on my preps for the past few months(80% of my work takes place in a 3 month period) but since my last post we have done quite a bit of canning and a little stock piling;

put up 85 qts of stewed tomatoes, 36 pints of peppers, 27 pints of plum jelly, 24 pints of elderberry jelly(frozen berries from last year), and 20 qts of pickles.

we also found field load shotgun shells (12 gauge) on sale and bought 500 rounds for just at $100. then a week or so later i stopped by a yard sale and found another 200 rounds of #4 high brass for $30. at the same sale we picked up a passel of army bags.....every thing from backpacks to med bag canteen bags , to document packs....all for $10 bucks.

plus i finally finished my first hickory bow, about a 50 pound pull long bow. turned out better than i had hoped....pretty proud.....may even try bow hunting .....maybe.

Edited by kevin

Dangit Kevin! I'd say you've been busy!!!! I can't wait to see what you get done when you have more free time! LOL! Nice finds in the yard sale, BTW. Those type of sales are by far the best way to make frugal purchaces. YES, pictures of your bow would be nice and could perhaps be a start of another thread!

Got myself a cobra CB radio from the GF's aunt for helping her with stuff around the house and yard. Just need the antenna and I'll be all breaker 1-9 roger that 10-4...hah! I'm hoping she will give me her late husbands reloading stuff someday..I will be starting a thread for CB handle suggestions...just kidding

Took my CCW class yesterday. Fascinating and absolutely confusing laws! Even within a state, county ordinances vary as to the requirements for a CCW!

I would like to do a little travelling across the US (HOPEFULLY, she says), before things get even worse. It is going to be a challenge to stay legal.

Other than that, I've been upgrading my med kit.

Guest kevin

post-1764-13851498175975_thumb.jpg

this was my first so be gentle ........even you snake.

i intend to wrap a mag stick as an arrow ledge and the limbs in 550 para cord......but it works great.....it'll fling an arrow over 100 yards held at a 45 degree angle.

and thanks to all for the welcome back......work keeps slowing down and you'll be sick of me again soon.

also bought a mosin nagant today......couldn't make myself spend the coin on a m1 garand

post-1764-1385149817545_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevin

Started working with the 10/22. Ran into a deal at a conference (for work) and it sort of followed me home. Does any one have an idea on how to easily collect .22 fired brass out of grass?!@#.

Maybe make the grass into a sand box ?

Started working with the 10/22. Ran into a deal at a conference (for work) and it sort of followed me home. Does any one have an idea on how to easily collect .22 fired brass out of grass?!@#.

Lay a tarp or blanket down where the brass is landing

Lay a tarp or blanket down where the brass is landing

Good one tinder. I usually leave'em laying in the yard or send the grandson on police call. :D

Just ordered another batch of long term storables.

Powdered eggs 2-#10 cans

freeze dried green peeppers 2-#10 cans

freeze dried onions 2-#10 cans

5 gal. pale of freeze dried shreded taters

Freeze dried vegatable stew 2-#10 cans

freeze dried southwest chiii 2-#10 cans

freeze dried creamy tater soup 2-#10 cans

Wally world

2-5 packs of Bics

2 more packs of tent stakes (they come in handy with tarps and camo netting)

2 more gals. of coleman

2 more 2 packs of propane

2 spare pumps for the colemans

AA and AAA rechargeable batteries

4-2 packs of CR123s

2 gals of citronella lamp oil

8-48"lenghts of rebar

Did I say I hated going to the city? :rolleyes: