Sign in to follow this  
devildog

What have you done today to better your Prep? II

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1047[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1048[/ATTACH]Procured some emergency lighting for the old bomb shelter turned prepper room. Last tornado had the grand kids diving in the storeroom and the power promptly went out. I wasn't home and Grandma was still on her way downstairs. Of course its DARK in there and the kids got pretty scared. So now I have some Energizer nightlight/flashlight/power outage lights. They stay plugged in and come on automatically if the power goes out. Supposed to last 45 minutes. They have high and low settings, and are LEDs.

For those of you waiting, I have a draft article ready on the bomb shelter conversion, but Joel isn't answering my email. Anyone know when he's available?

post-1306-13851498036278_thumb.jpg

post-1306-13851498036444_thumb.jpg

I'v'e been doing things every single day, but today I continued to catalog all our food reserves so I know exactly where we're at and what to pick up in the next huge shopping trip.

Also reading info on Advanced First Aid.

Wolfe

If they have wilderness first aid classes over there it's a pretty good class. Covers extended care a bit more then urban first aid classes.

went thru every flash light/head lamp/camp light and changed the batteries. wrote on each battery the install date with sharpie. some of the lights were dim due to old batteries. took old batteries to store that does battery recycling and disposal.

Devildog, thats an awesome entry door to your bomb shelter/ prepper room. I showed my wife, whos not into prepping, and she thought it was cool. I would love to have something like that someday. Maybe my next house.

Devildog, thats an awesome entry door to your bomb shelter/ prepper room. I showed my wife, whos not into prepping, and she thought it was cool. I would love to have something like that someday. Maybe my next house.

Thank you , Shawn. I really am looking forward to showing the entire project in an article here on SC. (It evidently takes a very, very long time to do that, though.) Wait till you see the OTHER door!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1047[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1048[/ATTACH]Procured some emergency lighting for the old bomb shelter turned prepper room. Last tornado had the grand kids diving in the storeroom and the power promptly went out. I wasn't home and Grandma was still on her way downstairs. Of course its DARK in there and the kids got pretty scared. So now I have some Energizer nightlight/flashlight/power outage lights. They stay plugged in and come on automatically if the power goes out. Supposed to last 45 minutes. They have high and low settings, and are LEDs.

For those of you waiting, I have a draft article ready on the bomb shelter conversion, but Joel isn't answering my email. Anyone know when he's available?

You might look into the Battery powered tap lights. Kids like them. maybe it would not be so scary if they had their own lights to turn on. Love your project. Looking forward to expanded article on it.

Awake -

You're quite right about having their own lights. I keep an open bin on one of the shelves, kind of a "1st few minutes" thing, and it has chem lights for them to grab. My grands are 4 months,2,3, and 5 years old, and get scared in the dark, especially with storms going on, so I hope these "automatic on" lites will help them be calmer if the electricity is out.

Matt101,

Really Brilliant. GJ. Im jealous a bit. Any number of uses for Bamboo as you know and growing your own. gd im jealous.

I went hiking, 5.5miles with Wife and packs today.

ANd found this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1061[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1062[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1063[/ATTACH]

Ahhhhh I hope you left it where you found it raccoons are a difficult pet to keep male do not grow into good pets and female will go crazy after a few years had a neighbor who had a pet coon for years was great cuddly, easy going, well behaved.....til the day it turned on her and gave her stitches on her face, hands, arms, legs. IF you keep a coon for a pet look in to it very deeply first they are only cute for so long

I find coons are really cute with sweet potatoes slow cooking in the oven

There are some small whitesh glands that need to be removed from the meat or it will tastes terrible!

Yup! Sorry, automatic reaction to that "slow cooking in the oven" picture! :o

yea I got that four feet to the sky picture in my head too but when I dress them I pull the scent glands.

so it is still 4 feet to the sky but not stinky LOL

and that brings up an old post on how to dress wild game because if people do not know how the meat will

smell like and taste like a nasty stinky arm pit with burnt hair seasoning IMO

yea I got that four feet to the sky picture in my head too but when I dress them I pull the scent glands.

so it is still 4 feet to the sky but not stinky LOL

and that brings up an old post on how to dress wild game because if people do not know how the meat will

smell like and taste like a nasty stinky arm pit with burnt hair seasoning IMO

Reminds me of my friend's wife who stopped at a meat market for some "usda" beef. She wasn't thinking U.S.D.A. but the word "usda". Thought it would be cheaper because it was "used". True story.

Our society has gotten far away from any experience with "dressing" wild game or even how to fillet a fish. It used to be common knowledge. I know that each year that I take senior Scouts up to Algonquin, Canada for a wilderness trip we spend one night a week preparing a fish fry. Each Scout for that day is asked to save his largest bass or trout catch. Then we take them down to waters edge and use a canoe paddle to lay out and prepare the fish. Most of the kids are amazed at what you can find in the stomach of a big bass. Other smaller fish, crawfish, old lures, etc. The fish fillets are placed in foil with butter, and other seasonings and then slow cooked over the coals in a fire. Delicious!

It is why I am involved in Scouts. It is a way for me to show these kids the importance of self-reliance. It is so gratifying to be at their Eagle Scout awards ceremonies and listen to them talk about their Scouting "experiences". They almost all talk about Algonquin. I like to think that in some small way, I am helping them prepare for hard times if that should occur in their future.

WOW you are an enemy of the state the Boy scouts is considered an religious extremist group

by the fbi because they do not allow gay's in their ranks or other places LMAO

the girl scouts is not on the list they gave in.

good deal Rod at least you are making a difference in a good organization.

my mom had been saving news papers for me for about 3 months now so today my dad came over and help me make a bunch of those newspaper fire logs. we made 50 today and have about 30 more worth soaking in the bin. i even was able to get my wife involved, she tied string around each end to prevent them coming apart as they dried. this is the first attempt at making these and in a few days we'll be able to test them out and see how well they work and if they will put enough heat to be worth the effort.

Ahhhhh I hope you left it where you found it raccoons are a difficult pet to keep male do not grow into good pets and female will go crazy after a few years had a neighbor who had a pet coon for years was great cuddly, easy going, well behaved.....til the day it turned on her and gave her stitches on her face, hands, arms, legs. IF you keep a coon for a pet look in to it very deeply first they are only cute for so long

Ya.. i left it there. THe park rangers didnt even really care, stating that the county we were in has about 400coons per square mile.

Hiking again today with packs, same 5.5mile trail as before. Was a little cooler today, and was able to make it to the top of that azzkicker hill without slouching over :D