Sign in to follow this  
NavyVet_77

Waterproofing for Boots

It is first thing in the morning and I have not had my first coke yet. So I read this thread as "Waterproofing for boats" and was thinking what the heck is he using mink oil for on a boat?

Yup! Better get up and get that coke!

Gore Tex boots do not need to be water proofed. The leather does need conditioning. Mink oil is great for that as well. My hiking boots get cleaned after each trip (every weekend or 2). Once a month i use mink oil as well. Solid care for a good pair of boots Can make them last a lifetime. Mine have over 300 miles of trails on them. Getting time to resole them.

GOretex is to keep your feet dry, from the inside. THe leather and stitching still rots and cracks.

But the question was... Can Vasoline be used to achieve waterproofing ?

Yes. but its messy compared to mink oil.

The best stuff I've found to waterproof leather boots is the liquid Kiwi stuff

in a glass bottle with that little cotton ball applicator that's attached to the lid.

You just cover the boot(s) with it and whatever you do set them outside. The

smell from it is herendous! This in my opinion is the best there is as far as ease of application and actually working. No mess. This stuff works! I've used it for years. The mink oil is good for softening the leather.

Yet again, this stuff is great and highly recomend it!

It probably won't help boats though....;)

JMHO dr

http://www.frankfordleather.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=kcdwrl&Category_Code=waterproofing

Edited by desert rat