Sign in to follow this  
jtcougars8

Fishing novice

I am a teenage casual fisher. But I want to make sure I get the right gear. No one in my family fishes so I am kind of on my own. I am going to Bass Pro Shops Saturday to pick up a few things.

What are some of the essentials I should get. I have an old pole in the shed but I would like to get another one.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&appID=87031&APPsection=Fishing&cm_sp=MDSMay2012_CFM

jtcougars8..

Welcome..PM ricksconnected...he has a ton of knowhow..

I fly fish..but its NOT for everone..

Keep it basic!What fish are in your area? are you fishing in a Lake or stream?

The fish determines the line weight..so does the weight of the pole.

Be carefull of any retail shop that wants to sell you more than you need!

A simple pole.open fase or closed,line,sinkers,bobers,Bait!!!

A box to put stuff in,a small back pack to cary the box and your water and food for the day,take extra socks and shirts,you will get wet!!

A string line to hold your catch,a bucket is always nice to have around..a sharp fish filet knife if your cleaning on the spot.Map of local area.Basic knots for fishing can be gotten free off the web.

Oh ya..a licence...

again ask Rick he knows more than I do.LOL

I use velveta cheese balls and a bobber for trout...:)

now this is going to sound strange, im all outdoorsy and such, but i have NEVER baited my own hook with live bait or taken a fish off, it looks like so much fun! i got bitten by a rather large gar when i was young didnt break the skin but terrified me. KUDOS! for having the gonads to touch a fish and flip out! my favorite pole is still a cane pole and ill sit with a line in the water for hours just talkin until my husband makes me shut up :)

Back in my noob fishing days, my first pole of my own was a Zebco 33 spincast

http://www.basspro.com/Zebco-33-Spincast-Rod-and-Reel-Combo/product/101075/68848

doesnt cost much, smooth casting, easy to control for consistent casting. i had this lil rod/reel for many years, and worth every penny. And it comes pre-spooled with 10lb test.

You'll need a stringer if you're not doing catch-n-release

http://www.basspro.com/Heavy-Duty-Nylon-Stringers/product/15866/57142?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

For shore fishing for bass (probably largemouth) and bluegill, maybe some crappy in there somewhere... so get you a lure kit, something like this :

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-241Piece-All-Pro-Bass-Kit/product/1110050507/276136

The assortment of tubes and worms, suitable for bass/bluegill/crappy or maybe a $6 Grub kit & $6 worm kit.

You'll need a few small bobbers/wieghts/hooks. Personally I prefer Balsa wood bobbers.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&searchTerm=wieghted+hooks

Be sure to take a good pocket knife with ya and a 6pack...... of Coke.

All I have to say is they call it fishing not CATCHING there is a reason for that.

get your license and a book 'fishing guide for your state and read and understand them ASK

better to know than get fined.

have a tape or rule a hook disgorger a filet knife and a metal clip stringer I carry a

Swiss army explorer just trust me on this it has all the things a survivalist or fisherman needs

have a waist pack or fanny pack with some snack food and survival items and first aid

a back pack can carry a small cooler and tackle box and a folding chair even a umbrella comfort

and relaxation is the best part of fishing getting sun burned and quitting because your hungry

or thirsty or uncomfortable is bad planning.

each area is specific I have fished every continent and live or cut bait of the proper type seems to

work best.

learn to filet your catch much easier than skinning or scaling.

I am not making a REMARK this site showed the easy way to filet

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/filleting-your-fish.html

and the biggest fish are near the bank not always in deep water mornings and evening are better

just before rain and full and dark of the moon weather fronts cause fish to be more or less active

depends on the fish.

some areas are full of snags weather rocks under or submerged trees or old fences bridges etc.

all I know is have a coupe of rods I have a zebco 404 or larger a good bait casting reel

use UGLY STIK rods tough as hell less expensive and have had little problems with them

combo's are usually a OK reel and a crap rod I do not use open face reels I do not like them.

and I carry a ronco pocket fisherman.

talk to local fishermen and your local baitshop they can give you some information on the fish

and bait and some rig advice some fish are picky on if the line is tight or on top free floating etc.

fresh water crickets worms and minnows are basic and work well ask locally ocean or seas regional

bait fish.

do not waste your money on lures / artificial baits at first have some plastic worms in purple and another

color advised in your area with proper hooks and weights

a few spinners and spoons flash and shine some times get the strikes be careful if your in a snag ridden

area you will lose them so do not buy expensive at first.

I have place a teardrop weight and nothing and drug the bottom to feel what was there before risking

sinking lures.

Remember your near the most dangerous thing in the world WATER it has a thousand ways to kill you

slick banks steep approaches anything you can imagine is under that water can snag you and hold you

under water is deceptive it may look a few feet deep and be a hundred it may be a few inches deep

and mud up to your waist and there are still places where there is quick sand.

If you do not swim have flotation PLEASE even if you do swim it is just good safety.

the reason for a few type of rods is to enjoy fishing one can bottom fish float fish and I use my ronco

for brim crappie bass or what ever playing around the ronco it good for getting into hard to reach areas

to get the lay of the area before dragging all your gear fighting every step because of too much brush

or difficult terrain you check it out if the fishing is good it may be worth fighting all your gear in.

I use to get a box of crickets a box of worms and stink bait for cat fish and a 2 rods and have a good time

and seldom came away without something.

some areas you take salmon eggs and corn catfish like spam and chicken or beef liver I have caught them

with a chunk of ivory soap and attracted them in with a cheap can of dog food holes punched in the can.

tied to the bank called baiting the hole and cause i was trying to catch them not give them a free meal.

each area is different follow the rules and do not do crap that is not regulation no fish is worth the fine and you can loose your equipment and license for sever offenses not worth it.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

I went today with some 2 buddies. they caught 17 combined mostly bluegill and a few catfish... I caught none. I lost 3 hooks/bobers to a few big catfish. I think I need a stronger line. Anyone know if Bass Pro Shops restrings poles for you? we were all just fishing with night crawlers

I went today with some 2 buddies. they caught 17 combined mostly bluegill and a few catfish... I caught none. I lost 3 hooks/bobers to a few big catfish. I think I need a stronger line. Anyone know if Bass Pro Shops restrings poles for you? we were all just fishing with night crawlers

Respooling isnt that hard. Most reels are just as capable of going in reverse, you just have to be cautious of coiling. And learning to adjust the 'drag' to be a little lower on your reel would save you some struggle and trouble. Do you remember what your friends were using as bait? Get some of that next time. Presentation and technique is a great factor in determining your success. But no worries, Ull get em next time.

yes they do, but youtube is your friend. night crawlers are good bait. NOTHING beats live bait.

i only use basspro to spool my rods when im using 200 plus lbs test line. its easier and quicker for me in doing so.

Easy fishing for begginers:

Buy a spinning reel with three piece medium action 5 1/2 ft. rod (easy to pack along or bug out).

Probably want 8-12 lb test line. Mono or composite, no braid unless you are use to it.

Following lures, hooks, etc....

Small live bait hooks and a few bobbers.

Bettle Spins, Will catch anything anywhere.

Rooster Tail. Almost as good as beetle spin.

Plastic worm or lizard. Best all year bait on earth. 6 inch.

Good pair of needle nose to un hook'em.

Lots of othe stuff but above would be tha ABC's of small essential tackle box and rod.

We were all using the same Night crawlers as bait. I got a few bites, but didn't catch anything. Every time I got something it got away and ate my worms lol. I think I was just waiting to long to pull them in. Except for the catfish who just broke the line. I have a good tackle box with fake bait, plenty of hooks, weights, a few bobbers. And I take some plyers, my Mora knife, and a smaller pocket knife with me.

You can't go wrong with the Zebco 33 combo for a starter rig. I probably have over ten thousand dollars worth of tackle and still use the old Zebco 33 on a regular basis. It is really all you need for eating sized fish and will handle a bigger one if it comes along most of the time. I've caught one bass over 8lbs, a redfish that was almost three feet long and a flathead catfish that was just under 15lbs on Zebco 33s.

If you are using an even slightly adequate reel and your line was broken by the fish then your drag wasn't set right or your line is bad and in desperate need of replacement. A fish should never break your line until you decide that you have to either stop him or lose him. If your drag is set right they will run a little piece and then rest while you slowly bring them back. You only clamp down on them if they are about to dive into a log jam or about to spool you. (take ALL of your line with them as they head for the next state.)

I have taken some just silly big fish with Zebco 33s because it is fun and a challenge. When you get a little more experienced you can look into a casting reel or spinning reel for a little better drag system and larger line capacity if you wish.

There are a lot of pretty decent spincast reels out there these days. Shakespeare and Johnson are just a couple of other names. I personally prefer Zebcos but that is a little like the brand of car you like best or the brand of beer or pop that you drink.

Get a rod and then tie your line to a pole and set the drag so that the line will come off smoothly against the drag. One of the biggest differences between cheaper reals and the more expensive ones has to do with how smooth and consistent the drag is. With a regular spin-cast reel you need to ere on the light side and remember to pump the pole when you are bringing the fish in. A fishing reel is NOT a winch. You don't just crank the fish in by turning the handle. What pumping means is that as you reel you lower your rod towards the fish and then pull it to you with the rod. When the rod is pointed up again you lower it gaining more line and repeat. If the fish is taking line or if you are reeling and the line isn't coming in you need to STOP reeling. All you are doing is twisting your line up.

I don't think that there is anything more fun than catching a mess of fish but as Snake pointed out it IS called fishing not catching. Enjoy your time and companions. I've spent a lot of nice evenings and nights sitting on the bank with friends waiting for a catfish to bite. These are precious moments. Once you get proficient you need to take your Mom or Dad fishing. It is a great family thing. Some of my just BEST memories of my Grandparents were the times we spent fishing together, star gazing and just talking while we fished. Both of my Grannys and both Grandfathers fished as did both of my parents. It was something that we could always do together...even when I was a teen, knew EVERYTHING worth knowing, and they were almost too stupid to remember to breathe, we could go fishing and just be friends for a little while.

if you are learning to fish for fun thats a different area than learning to fish in a survival mode... if you are in a learning prep mode for survival training i wouldnt even bother with a fishing pole at all... survival mode would be 50lb test line tied to rocks or overhanging tree limbs maybe 10 of them then leave the area maybe build a fish trap so its automated and does it while you are away doing other things.... if this is just for fun... any cheap rod and reel should work..get 15-20lb test line ..chicken liver works great for catfish.. use multiple hooks fish on the bottom and at night ..have an "alarm" so you can tell if something nibbles when its dark..i heat up the tip of my knife with a lighter till its super hot and use that to "drill" one small hole in a big bobber then inside this hole insert 2-3 very tiny sinkers in it for the "rattle" then hook that bobber on the end of the pole and if you get even the slightest nibble you can hear the "rattle" from the sinkers inside the plastic bobber...(hard to explain) just use some creativity to devise your own "alarm" if that doesnt make sense... but once again if you are learning to fish for survival...forget the pole and learn how to make fish traps and make automated systems

oh ps on using chicken liver... chicken liver works great but at a drawback it is slimey and comes off hook easily...you can remedy that in 1 of 2 ways.. first to cut it use scissors and let it either dry in the sun for a bit till it gets tougher or you can cut little pieces of panty hose and dip those in the blood and liver juice from containers then wrap small pieces of chicken liver in the panty hose and hook all that up in hook..the fibers from the panty hose keeps it on the hook...many times iver caught cat fish when i had 5 baited lines on one line all using the panty hose trick...caught a cat fish and even after releasing it...still had 5 hooks still baited ..the panty hose works good for keeping bait on hook

oh ps on using chicken liver... chicken liver works great but at a drawback it is slimey and comes off hook easily...you can remedy that in 1 of 2 ways.. first to cut it use scissors and let it either dry in the sun for a bit till it gets tougher or you can cut little pieces of panty hose and dip those in the blood and liver juice from containers then wrap small pieces of chicken liver in the panty hose and hook all that up in hook..the fibers from the panty hose keeps it on the hook...many times iver caught cat fish when i had 5 baited lines on one line all using the panty hose trick...caught a cat fish and even after releasing it...still had 5 hooks still baited ..the panty hose works good for keeping bait on hook

a trick I use for chicken liver is small rubber bands for braces or dreadlocks and that small fishnet material get it from wal mart cut it in 3 inch

square pieces put the liver on a treble hook wrap the mesh over it and use the rubber bands to secure it to the shank of the hook keep the catfish from just stealing the bait

we used to cut gizzards in half and soak them in blended livers or use the blended liver in those plastic

teardrop pockets with a double hook like on a spinner bait put the blended liver in a ketchup squirt bottle

and fill and fish.

Something to remember: In a SHTF situation you may find a rabbit to shoot. Keep the guts and other pieces which you will not eat and use the guts and other items as bait. I have found that catfish are fond of these things. Smaller fish will sometimes bite intestine which looks to them like worms or small snakes.

You can always find bait of some sort in the woods even if you make it out of artificial sources.