Sign in to follow this  
WV Scout

Apartment Bug In

Just thought I would throw this out there because I live in a apartment and just wanted to hear some opinions on food storage and security if you had to bug in; in a apartment that was on the 2nd floor and did not have a choice but to stay there forawhile when the SHTF.

All depends on your floor really. I live on the second floor, so obviously cant stack water up to high or all concentrated in one spot. Food you can store in any spot that would allow it. Closet, cupboard, book shelf. Never heard the hallowed out couch idea, but you best believe I'm gonna use it now! Haha

Another thing I do, besides try and keep my own stock of supplies, is to be aware of what resources are available in my neighborhood. I've been drawing a mental map of where I've noticed rain barrels at parks, schools, and office buildings. Also keeping tabs of any edible plants or gardens that are not on people's property. Next step is to actually write it down. A lot of people will probably hit up those gardens if SHTF, but most folks probably don't know about the rain barrels or water collection sites I've seen. Not the first choice, but its important to pay attention to what's around you. More so when you live in a small apartment in a large urban environment.