Sign in to follow this  
FreedomSix

Do You Really Need A "BOB" or 72 Hour Kit?

While reading a blog on BOB’s the other day I came across a post from someone claiming to be a soldier who had gone through survival training. In his post he claimed that he had been through survival training with nothing more than a knife and had lived through the three day ordeal without a problem. Was he telling the truth? Is it possible to survive in the wilderness for three days with nothing but a knife?

I do not know anything about the individual who made the post with these claims. There is a chance that he was indeed telling the truth. It certainly is possible to survive for three days in the wilderness with nothing more than a knife and the clothes on your back. We can go two weeks without food. Three days without water.

This person claimed that BOB’s were basically a waste of time and money and simply unnecessary. Could this be true? Are we all just wasting time and money on “stuff” we don’t need?

It is my opinion that a good BOB is not only not a waste of time or money but a necessary item that we all should have.

I can live three days without food but how comfortable will I be? Will I be thinking straight without food or might I make some bad decisions?

Will my daughter do ok for three days with that nasty cut on her foot? Or might it be better if we were able to properly clean and bandage it to prevent infection?

The fact is that we probably would survive with much less than we choose to pack in our BOB’s. But there is a BIG chance that we would not be near as safe, near as clean or have food in our bellies. Would we have our prescription meds? How about a little cash or clean water, would we have those luxuries? Would the mosquitoes be tearing us up or would we be lucky enough that the insects will be off that week?

Simply the comfort of knowing we were prepared for the emergency will be enough to instill confidence and boost your spirits. Your family knowing that you are prepared for the worst will be stronger and take comfort in the efforts that you have made. If you got nothing else out of your BOB I would already say that it was worth the time and effort.

Isn’t that what this is really all about? Yes; we could survive with less. But why should we? You or your family deserve to have some creature comforts like I don’t know, food, water, first aid, warmth, medications and protection.

Let’s face it people if things have gotten bad enough that you have decided that you need your BOB these things will be priceless. Oh; so I guess that money that you spent putting this BOB together wasn’t such a waste either.

Can a person survive for three days with nothing but a knife? Of course it is possible. Are most people trained and mentally prepared to do so? I’ll let you answer that question for yourself.

Do your family and yourself a favor and put a BOB together for each member of the family. You might never need it but the peace of mind and security that you have from knowing it is there will always be a comfort.

And if you do need it, I bet you will never look back and say “that BOB was a waste of time and effort”.

Edited by FreedomSix

He may have been trying to say that you don't *need* a massively well equipped BOB to survive, but if he was encouraging people to try and survive without gear (as a deliberate choice) he was being an idiot.

He could walk 20 miles through a blistering desert barefoot and live...but wouldn't he prefer boots?

He could go 3 days without eating a thing...but wouldn't he prefer a nice warm meal?

He could go the same 3 days without any fresh, clean water to drink...but wouldn't he prefer a canteen?

He could scrape a hole in the snow and build himself an emergency shelter to get out of the wind...but wouldn't he prefer to have a tent and a nice sleeping bag?

The reason humans dominate the Earth is because we use tools. Anyone who chooses to place themselves in a survival situation without tools is taking foolish risks. Anyone who encourages you to forego tools in a survival situation is encouraging you to take foolish risks.

Saying "I don't have a BOB because I can survive without anything but a knife' is as smart as saying 'I don't carry a spare tire or a jack in my car, because I can always walk the 20 miles home'. It's stupid, it's going to cause you some serious discomfort, and it might even kill you.

FreedomSix,

I dont think anyone here on this forum would argue with much anything you said.

As for surviving 3 days with nothing but a knife.... This would require several variables/conditions to line-up perfectly for this to truely be feasible. Since we are going off of a '3day' timeframe, Ill focus my comment on water/shelter/fire, as you can go a good while longer without actual 'food'. After 3 days of no water, a person may not be 'Dead' but seriously weak, dilerious and basically helpless physicaly

THe variables/conditions that immediately come to mind, that must magically align:

1. Knowledge 2. Location 3. Current weather conditons 4. Available water

#1 + #2 = He would have to know how to do stuff in his prefered environment

Using the knife, he may be able to fashion some kind of container for water, but there aren't any natural containers I can think of at the moment that you can use to sanitize/boil water in WITH HEAT. Remembering he had nothing but a knife.

Maybe he is proficient enough with a bow saw. or other primitive fire method, to make fire. SO lets say #3 was also acceptable for making a friction fire. Not raiing, and generally low moisture and humidity. After he fashioned his own tools using his knife.

He could likely build a type of temp shelter by breaking off and cutting down small under brush and trees, this shouldnt be too dificult in a wooded area.

But what to do about drinkable water ? If he is higher in the moutains he could likely get by just drinking straight from the water source/stream whatever. If he is in a valley this isnt likely, he would need to sanitize it. Sure theres nothing stopping him from drinking it straight, but is not a wise thing. A survival rule about water, is that if you have no other choice or believe you'll be rescued soon, go ahead and drink it, because you'll probably make it out before any serious water-born illness sets in. But again, this is in a perfect world. In any SHTF scenario, this would definately be a bad idea, since you wont know if you'll get any help at all, ever. You might drink it for lack of any other choice, only to day a few days later from waterborn parasites or dysentery.

So Is it possible, yes... but VERY unlikely.

Edited by NavyVet_77

As NavyVet 77 pointed out "So Is it possible, yes... but VERY unlikely." Many things would have to line up correctly for this event to play out well. My GOOD Bag is insurance on surviving many different situations. I dont have any RAMBO aspirations.

YES! You can live for 72 hours with no preparation. And it may not be very much of a challenge, either. You could be in balmy 72 degree weather shaded by the leafy overhanging branches, next to a babbling brook, full of easy to grab hostess ho-hos.

Or, maybe you have fallen and have a leg bone sticking out, in the high desert, where you were running away from the biker horde who "are just having fun" and you would really like a sip of water right about now, and maybe some first aid stuff.

Or maybe not....You see the purpose of the B.O.B is you can not KNOW the situation you will have. We all hope our stuff is not needed.

You can live 3 days with nothing? Maybe. But you won't like it.

the military does have a survival course that will teach you how to survive with just a knife, its a couple weeks long teaches what plants are edidble and all the other stuff to survive and if memory serves me its in the mountains of NC. The course is for pilots and special ops personnel.

by the way i would not recomend everyone try it, i will have my bob.

Yeah; I would prefer to have my BOB to. I spent 13 years in the military and if I had some way to have some kind of so called comforts with me I would. A friend of mine went through the military survival course and it kicked his A**.

With luck, you can survive 3 days, maybe indefinitely, with a knife ... and the clothes you are wearing ... and your hat ... and boot laces. With luck and these things you CAN (not will, but can - maybe) get by but Luck is a really, really LOUSY Plan A. The military is taught to survive while evading capture and escaping the enemy. I am NOT a 25 year old pilot any longer - I'm not quite as 'robust' as I once was.

Why would you WANT to survive on only a knife? Could I if I had to do so? Well, maybe, but I don't EVER intend to find out. I am never without my EDC (Every Day Carry) and I will NEVER be without a knife or 3, or multiple ways of making fire or signaling. As Dr. Tyson says, "the earth is NOT your friend. Dropped down naked, anywhere on the planet, you probably don't live 48 hours." Facts of life, without tools we are NOT the top of the food chain.

Stories and special circumstances may make interesting reading but WHY, in the name of everything you believe in, would you want to put yourself through this? Remember, the writer's intention is to gain readers for his personal gain or vanity or instruction or whatever. The stories of the unprepared surviving are readable because they are rare. No one will ever write about my family surviving Ike because we were prepared. There was no drama involved. We lived, reasonably comfortably, through the event. Never nominate yourself for the Darwin Award. You might win.

Just the not so humble opinion of someone who has gotten a Darwin Award "Honorable Mention".

What could be worse than trying to survive 3 days with just a knife? I'm guessing that days 4, 5, 6, and 7 could be a whole lot worse. It seems to me that too much emphasis is placed on simply surviving and not enough time is placed on thriving. My family's 72-hr BOBs are specifically designed with that in mind. They are not equipped for an individual per se but as an integral part of a larger entity. In my case that's my family. For some it might be a group of like-minded close friends or a community. If a 3-day catastrophe were ever to strike our plan is to be prepared to such a degree that we have hope and are smiling on the fourth day and able to invite the guy with just his knife in for light refreshements and casual conversation.

Ok...I'll bite, Capt, what did you do to get your 'honorable mention'?

The second part...

The 72 hour BoB to my way of thinking is more geared to get you from point A to point B. If packed right, it will help you last a lot longer than just 72 hours.

I could survive for at LEAST two weeks with nothing more than a knife and climate appropriate clothing. In East Texas that is usually jeans and a t-shirt then throw in a hooded sweatshirt for winter. (I’m a bit of a polar bear and don’t add the hoody until the temperature hits 40 degrees.)

You REALLY are NOT going to die (Unless you are diabetic) if you miss a meal or two…or two dozen. I’ve done three 14 day fasts and never had a problem. Look, all you just HAVE to have is a little water and some common sense.

A lot of people would no doubt work so hard trying to find food that they would get dehydrated and THEN when they ate the stuff they would use up more of their bodies precious fluids digesting it. Most likely unless they regularly eat such foods whatever they find could well give them the screaming squirts and THAT could kill them.

If you are lost in the woods and figure to be out or found in less than a week, DON’T eat. Don’t work around in the heat and sweat and don’t worry much about it. Human beings are massively tough creatures. Think about it for a bit. Thin skin, no fur to protect us, weak dull claws, short blunt teeth and we are slow as hell as far as running either away from or after a critter. I know we are SMART…yeah, but the human form was around when we weren’t so smart and still it worked. We are TOUGH!

The biggest problem we have when it comes to short term survival, other than killing each other, is worrying ourselves to death. Even cold isn’t the issue most people think it is. In a forest make a big old leaf pile, them stack evergreen limbs on top to keep it from blowing away then crawl under it and go to sleep. It is amazingly effective. Been there done it!

I am always amazed that people think that they NEED several meals a day to survive. We LIKE to eat but the fact is that we don’t need a lot. You could probably live for months on 400 calories a day. That is what they offer for lifeboat rations. The knife isn’t a MUST have but it will make you feel more secure and in control. Actually people got along fine for a long time with pointy sticks and rocks. I’ve done a little knapping and you can get a pretty serviceable edge without much effort.

I carry a little fishing fit in my pocket. It actually isn’t for catching fish to eat. If I got lost or hurt I would find water then sit down and fish until I was found. At night I would back off the water a little (Snakes, Mosquitoes and Gators) make a nest and then return in the morning to fish some more. I am positive that if I wanted to eat them raw I could catch enough to live on for a long time. Sitting on your ass fishing doesn’t burn much energy and you have water at hand for drinking and cooling if you need it. I would probably get most of my water from licking dew off leaves in the cool morning hours.

i agree with this first posting so so much. i know my biggest problem, along with most of yours probably is, is getting my wife on board. she thinks im paranoid and all our first aid kits and bobs are a waste." no one we even know has half as many first aid kits as us." is a quote straight from her mouth.i pray nothing happens and all this was a big waste of my time and money. but the ease of mind knowing my family will be safe, comfortable, and well protected in a crisis situation is pricless.

Edited by NWRedneck

i agree with this first posting so so much. i know my biggest problem, along with most of yours probably is, is getting my wife on board. she thinks im paranoid and all our first aid kits and bobs are a waste." no one we even know has half as many first aid kits as us." is a quote straight from her mouth.i pray nothing happens and all this was a big waste of my time and money. but the ease of mind knowing my family will be safe, comfortable, and well protected in a crisis situation is pricless.

To me, prepping is nothing more than the same thing you are doing when you pay for Life Insurance, Car Insurance, Short Term Disability Insurance, and making sure your car has a spare tire and a jack. You may never have a flat, and you may never get hurt at work so badly that you are out of work...but you enjoy life a lot more knowing that if it DOES happen you have something to help you handle the situation. Prepping is nothing more than physically taking steps to insure your future well being.

Hopefully your prayers will pay off, and you wont ever need it. ANd for all of us here, if none of us ever have to use any of our prep gear again, we will be able to somewhat pass on our prep habits/gear etc. to the next generation, potentially making it easier for our next in line to make it as well. SOme things of course have to be rotated , cycled out, but some things dont expire for many years.

While reading a blog on BOB’s the other day I came across a post from someone claiming to be a soldier who had gone through survival training. In his post he claimed that he had been through survival training with nothing more than a knife and had lived through the three day ordeal without a problem. Was he telling the truth? Is it possible to survive in the wilderness for three days with nothing but a knife?

I do not know anything about the individual who made the post with these claims. There is a chance that he was indeed telling the truth. It certainly is possible to survive for three days in the wilderness with nothing more than a knife and the clothes on your back. We can go two weeks without food. Three days without water.

This person claimed that BOB’s were basically a waste of time and money and simply unnecessary. Could this be true? Are we all just wasting time and money on “stuff” we don’t need?

It is my opinion that a good BOB is not only not a waste of time or money but a necessary item that we all should have.

I can live three days without food but how comfortable will I be? Will I be thinking straight without food or might I make some bad decisions?

Will my daughter do ok for three days with that nasty cut on her foot? Or might it be better if we were able to properly clean and bandage it to prevent infection?

The fact is that we probably would survive with much less than we choose to pack in our BOB’s. But there is a BIG chance that we would not be near as safe, near as clean or have food in our bellies. Would we have our prescription meds? How about a little cash or clean water, would we have those luxuries? Would the mosquitoes be tearing us up or would we be lucky enough that the insects will be off that week?

Simply the comfort of knowing we were prepared for the emergency will be enough to instill confidence and boost your spirits. Your family knowing that you are prepared for the worst will be stronger and take comfort in the efforts that you have made. If you got nothing else out of your BOB I would already say that it was worth the time and effort.

Isn’t that what this is really all about? Yes; we could survive with less. But why should we? You or your family deserve to have some creature comforts like I don’t know, food, water, first aid, warmth, medications and protection.

Let’s face it people if things have gotten bad enough that you have decided that you need your BOB these things will be priceless. Oh; so I guess that money that you spent putting this BOB together wasn’t such a waste either.

Can a person survive for three days with nothing but a knife? Of course it is possible. Are most people trained and mentally prepared to do so? I’ll let you answer that question for yourself.

Do your family and yourself a favor and put a BOB together for each member of the family. You might never need it but the peace of mind and security that you have from knowing it is there will always be a comfort.

And if you do need it, I bet you will never look back and say “that BOB was a waste of time and effort”.

A 72 hour BOB is not a waste of effort as this may be the only organized supply you escape with. Also, you can also make a very complete 72 hour bag with with many of the tools and gear ready to go that can be dropped into a larger BOB that is mostly just food/supplies, etc. This way you are covered. This is what I'm doing.

Now, we are talking truly minimum, the deal is nature can supply all you need, BUT you'll never make it without the knowledge and practice. Here is the absolute bare bones minimum survival kit:

pocket knife - 1

water proof matches - 1 box

Candle - 1

strong cordage - 50ft

Compass - 1

mono-filiment fishing line - 50ft

Solar still to be made with the following items:

- clear plastic sheet 5x5ft

- plastic or surgical tube - 6ft

- collapsable plastic cup.

That's it!

You will still need to know tons about how to hunt, fish, trap, process game, the local edible plants, how to weave baskets, and make clothes, shelter and cordage, etc.....who has time for this?

Here is another idea for something fast easy and portable; I've posted this before, it's just brilliant and a very good way to start out:

Best mini survival kit parts 1 & 2; a real "sporting girl" as the English would say LOL!

I've modified my own BIBB based on her ideas.

Cheers,

Ulf

Edited by Dangerwolfe

Ok...I'll bite, Capt, what did you do to get your 'honorable mention'?

The second part...

The 72 hour BoB to my way of thinking is more geared to get you from point A to point B. If packed right, it will help you last a lot longer than just 72 hours.

First to Ken51 - getting old is NOT for the faint of heart! It is miserable to not be able to do the things you really like because you are no longer physically able to do so. Vision and sight goes, reflexes go, stamina goes (you can help here but not prevent), takes longer to recover etc.

vonBayen - OK, I've posted elsewhere but since you asked; Trimming a tree with a chainsaw, on a ladder about 12 feet up. Tree moved, ladder slipped and I was left hanging from the tree by my left hand with a running chainsaw in the right! I managed to get the saw shut down and thrown away (which is probably why I have all my originally issued parts in their original locations) but when I threw the saw, my left hand opened slightly with my right hand. I fell and shattered my left heel (note that was only about a 4 - 5 foot drop -heel to ground- since I'm over 6 ft tall and was hanging down - would not have been that hard a hit if I was 25). I'm on a cane and pain meds for the rest of my life; as a diabetic (another benefit of my age) the docs think that the risk of losing the foot because of any surgery outweighs any possible benefit of trying to pin everything back together properly.

Darwin Award - Honorable Mention because I came SOOOOOO close but just missed the big one.

Sometimes we get dumber in our advancing years; I can say that because THAT WAS DUMB!:mad:

Freedomsix,

I hope you posted your response on the other blog!

As long as the writer was just talking about his own abilities, fine and dandy. If he was encouraging others to NOT have a BOB, that's plain irresponsible and foolish for anyone to listen.

We have quite a few retired and prior service military members here and nobody has ever espoused such foolishness. You need Ranger raining and hve to be on top of your game.

Aaagh, rant over.

After you've celebrated the anniversary of your 21st birthday a couple of times you NEED a sense of humor!!

A 72 hour bugout bag is a good thing to have because, if nothing else, you have thought and prepared yourself mentally for the possibility that you might need it. I think of mine as my disaster bag and aim it towards that sort of prep since I'm going to bug in. All you really need is to cover fire, water, comfort foods, a few survival tools and shelter and medical.

Filter straw and canteen,cover, cup, lighterX2 and matches in a waterproof box, candy, food bars, coffee and tea, Knife and multitool, space blanketX3, tube tent, throwaway ponchos real poncho. I throw in a med kit, pair of work gloves, latex gloves, bandana, dust mask and my always present fishing kit.

In a disaster the gloves and mask can be critical. A lot of the survivors from 911 are having lung problems because of the dust. The extra space blankets are for others that I might help. If I was going to add anything else it might be a trenching tool. A good quality trenching tool sharpened on the side can cover a lot of needs from digging to breaching a door and makes a pretty good machete and weapon in a bind.

I didn't mention a weapon because I consider that a given EDC sort of thing.

He may have been trying to say that you don't *need* a massively well equipped BOB to survive, but if he was encouraging people to try and survive without gear (as a deliberate choice) he was being an idiot.

He could walk 20 miles through a blistering desert barefoot and live...but wouldn't he prefer boots?

He could go 3 days without eating a thing...but wouldn't he prefer a nice warm meal?

He could go the same 3 days without any fresh, clean water to drink...but wouldn't he prefer a canteen?

He could scrape a hole in the snow and build himself an emergency shelter to get out of the wind...but wouldn't he prefer to have a tent and a nice sleeping bag?

The reason humans dominate the Earth is because we use tools. Anyone who chooses to place themselves in a survival situation without tools is taking foolish risks. Anyone who encourages you to forego tools in a survival situation is encouraging you to take foolish risks.

Saying "I don't have a BOB because I can survive without anything but a knife' is as smart as saying 'I don't carry a spare tire or a jack in my car, because I can always walk the 20 miles home'. It's stupid, it's going to cause you some serious discomfort, and it might even kill you.

perfectly stated