Sign in to follow this  
Ranger

Fooooood

Armory has its own secktion of the forum and i think food shold have the same!

It is not as simple as MREs, bulk rice and oxygen absorbers....

Yes i know, it is a forum about survivalism and not weddingcakes and fancy seafood (but did u know that from dryed cod((shelflife up to 20 years)) u can make not only a nutritious but allso delisious meal, BACKALAO)!

I am not sure if u can die of food fatigue and boredom, but i am very sure that a good meal now and then wil make everything feel a little bit more normal.

When your family Is buging in for the 2 month, how about serving Spaghetti bolognese whit soaked and minzed beef jerky (hm, have to try that) in the sause and homemade icecream fore dessert( yes it is posible allso whit no elektricity)

If there are others out there who thinks food is important to survival not only as carbs, vitamins and a full belly then give me some innput on this!!!

Ranger

Edited by Ranger

Ranger, you should check out the Food and Water Preps posts:

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?30-Food-and-Water-Preps

This woman has a great system for amassing a year's worth of food that is delicious enough that she and her family eat from (and replenish) their food stores on an ongoing basis. She takes dehydrated, freeze dried, and other ingredients and then creates "meals in a jar" that can be cooked on a stove (or in a solar oven) by adding a bit of water to it.

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2011/04/emergency-preparedness-and-everyday.html

I definitely agree that if you only had a few food items, like a ton of rice and beans and maybe some canned fruits and veggies to keep from developing debilitating vitamin deficiencies, you could survive but you would HATE mealtime. It makes more sense to prep for foods you will actually eat, and enjoy eating, especially since that may be one of the few comforts and pleasures you have for a while after TSHTF.

Ranger, you should check out the Food and Water Preps posts:

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?30-Food-and-Water-Preps

This woman has a great system for amassing a year's worth of food that is delicious enough that she and her family eat from (and replenish) their food stores on an ongoing basis. She takes dehydrated, freeze dried, and other ingredients and then creates "meals in a jar" that can be cooked on a stove (or in a solar oven) by adding a bit of water to it.

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2011/04/emergency-preparedness-and-everyday.html

I definitely agree that if you only had a few food items, like a ton of rice and beans and maybe some canned fruits and veggies to keep from developing debilitating vitamin deficiencies, you could survive but you would HATE mealtime. It makes more sense to prep for foods you will actually eat, and enjoy eating, especially since that may be one of the few comforts and pleasures you have for a while after TSHTF.

why do you think cowboys were so mean and fight at the drop of a hat boring diet and cheap whiskey.

we have all kinds of food now but we have been so set in our ways why change now. LOL

Thank you fore your reply Miss Oregon, and yes i have bin there but i was thinking about something more "strucktured" if u know what i mean.

-One section for recepies

-One for canning, dehydrating,smoking,.......

-One "how to" section ( no electrisity, no supermarked, no alotoffotherthingsaswell )

-One on the trail section

Ranger

Armory has its own secktion of the forum and i think food shold have the same!

It is not as simple as MREs, bulk rice and oxygen absorbers....

Yes i know, it is a forum about survivalism and not weddingcakes and fancy seafood (but did u know that from dryed cod((shelflife up to 20 years)) u can make not only a nutritious but allso delisious meal, BACKALAO)!

I am not sure if u can die of food fatigue and boredom, but i am very sure that a good meal now and then wil make everything feel a little bit more normal.

When your family Is buging in for the 2 month, how about serving Spaghetti bolognese whit soaked and minzed beef jerky (hm, have to try that) in the sause and homemade icecream fore dessert( yes it is posible allso whit no elektricity)

If there are others out there who thinks food is important to survival not only as carbs, vitamins and a full belly then give me some innput on this!!!

Ranger

I'm all for it as long as I don't have to eat lutefisk, is that Norwegian? I know it's made from cod soaked in lye...

Hi jerry9491!

Lutefisk is a norwegian speciality, some peple eat it fore Cristhmas and claimes it tastes good.

I think it is an ecskuse to drink Akvavit and beer.:rolleyes:

I prefer to only have the Akvavit and beer....

Here you go Ranger,

Yes food "variety" is hugely important. Yes, you need a certain amount of lightweight packable foods; energy bars, freeze dried stuff, etc. but imagine living off that crap for months....no way. You need regular meals to keep your sanity. After a while your neighbor's kids will start looking mighty tasty, LOL!

This video will give you a huge range of regular food, readily available that will keep for a long time, best vid I've seen on the subject:

Wolfe

One of the most important thing when it comes to food is start making it.

Do not eat that trash u can buy everywhere, start making food from scratc (of corse dont be fanatic about it, eat a burger and enjoy)

If u are used to have your meals from burger king, then u have a problems when Shtf.

Learn how to cook and u will do your body and your familie a favor!

(you wold not imagine what roasted duckbreast, asparagus, roesti potatoes, orange sauce and a good bottle of wine could do to your lovelife!)

If u know how too cook, then u wil know how to alter recepies and make the best of what u got!

Ranger