Sign in to follow this  
Rod

The Laundry Pod

So last Christmas I was wandering about looking for extra gifts for my wife. I happened to be in Bed, Bath & Beyond and came across "The Laundry Pod".

http://www.thelaundrypod.com/

Designed to be a non-electric light duty clothes washer for dorm rooms, it was on sale for $79.95 (normally $99.95). It looked like a large plastic salad spinner. What the heck I thought. Might work. I had seen other similar devices for washing clothes and thought that it might fit into a grid-down situation. So, in the spirit of a possible non-electric Christmas, I bought it for my wife. :rolleyes:

I mean, cleaning clothes by the stream with a rock is a might hard on fabric!

So this past weekend, with my wife visiting her mom and me alone enough to get into trouble, I gave it a try! Damned if the thing didn't worked pretty good! It was easy to use and only took a few minutes to wash a couple shirts and some underwear. Now the Pod won't do a big load and you have to hand spin it with a crank but everthing came out nice and clean. After a couple of more small loads I became convinced that this would indeed make a dandy little way to do clothes during bad times. I am not so sure of its long term durability but certainly for a short time it would work great!

So it gets a two-thumbs up recommendation from me and a spot on my survival equipment shelf.

Huh! Very interesting both Rod and Rampart, but with 5 kids I don't know if either or both could even keep up on socks and undies even......but if they could even just that would be awesome!

Good point, DonDon. One thing to consider would be to have the kids take care of the laundry using either of these tools, to make everyone useful so to say. I don't know the ages of your children, but these are both very simple, rudimentary systems that seem like they could be worked by someone anywhere from kindergarten age and up. Just something to consider if the S ever HTF.