Sign in to follow this  
Danm

The ART of surviving

yea when the movie came out:

All my "friends" said they finally found someone with my personality traits warm friendly demeanor

and diplomatic skills.

that was back when working in the prison was fun I had been known to go after officers or convicts.

everyone knew what side I was on "my side" LOL

My wife just served out of prison after 25 years. (Retired) She actually liked it a lot and always had just the best stories. She spent the last 8 years working Texas Death-row Prison in Dental. She actually liked it better than working free-world because she didn't have to kiss her patients butts. If they pissed her off she told them to get up and get out. In 25 years of working mostly in the toughest high-security prisons she never had a single real problem. She was actually harder on them than they were on her. LOL.

Snake,

I knew you would not disappoint me. I also share your opinion. It does not take a VILLAGE or a villiage idiot.

It takes someone who can think and read. All of the information you want to know is found in books. I also believe in Snake's trigger diplomacy.

Edited by VIS 9
addition

Snake, snake,snake,

Obviously there is not going to be anyway to maintain the "modern" medical juggernaut, but in a SHTF event I would rather have a surgeon setting bones and doing amputations than the neighborhood butcher( although he is my third choice behind a vet) and also controlling the meds that we have. Even without power and modern electronics the skills of doctors, dentists,nurses etc will be greatly needed and bartered just like the old country doctors, they didn't have much to work with but they got the job done, often for a bushel of apples and a chicken. I for one really think that my skills will be greatly helpful to the right group beyond my survival skills I am in the electronic security biz and even without cameras and alarm equipment and the power grid to run it I can still setup a solar system using the panels from road signs and public address/warning systems to combined with possibly wind, water, and bicycle generators build a system with car batteries and UPS that could run an ultrasound, recharge a defibrillator, a dental X-ray machine ,etc. long enough to help a skilled person save a life or two.

Knowledge and the ability and willingness to learn are the greatest tools we have

Edited by DonDon
Rushed send to check out gunshots at neighbors

DonDon

I agree but it will be a far cry from todays great medical strides and that is a shame, our governments.

Dylan Thomas - Do Not Go Gentle Into that Good Night, comes to mind

We should do all we can to not allow our beautiful and wondrous country to fail it is our ship it's

crew has held through thick and thin or when it's masters failed us again and yet again.

I for one do not want or relish any part of TEOTWAWKI and pray what comes is more a change of

pace instead of a headlong rush to destruction.

having some knowledge and advanced training {not to be misread NOT A DOCTOR} I understand.

We must be careful what we admit to I know what I can do and my potential capabilities and my shortcomings, but pardon me if I appear to be less than optimistic should our system falter.

It is what I have seen that lets me know I haven't the skill for what is coming should sanity jump

the track.

Reference Snake et al:

Everything I needed to know in life I learned from Star Trek. Some of the reasons Kirk was a better captain than Picard:

"Diplomacy to Kirk; a Phaser and a smirk!"

"Prime directive? WHAT prime directive?"

"If it doesn't speak English it's TOAST!"

I liked that so much I translated it into Latin as a motto:

ENGLISH LOCUTUS NON - PANIS HOSTIUM EST

(English it speaks not - bread that is a sacrifice to the gods (no Latin word for toast so burnt offering) it is)

Capt Bart, your Latin motto cracks me up.

I was just reading a (werewolf) novel and one of the characters was known for having a short temper and a tendency to act with deadly intent, and several times she tells people, "It's like my daddy says, 'Time to start the killin'.'" That's a far more impressive family motto if you say, "Tempus occidendi amet."

But if you really want to scare people off, you could use one of the bully's mottoes: "Prohibere percutis te" (Stop hitting yourself) or "Dicere patruus" (Say uncle).