Sign in to follow this  
readytogo1955

Homesteading is Possible

LOL I was thinking something similar, JCMS, although mine is more "east of the Rockies." I'm always disappointed that there are no missile silos for sale around here; there is one just waiting to be fixed up in Kansas right now that's for sale on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-Acre-ATLAS-F-ICBM-Missile-Silo-Base-Underground-Doomsday-Fortress-Bunker-/221005132352?pt=Residential&hash=item3374eeb240#ht_2210wt_169

The thing is, I can't imagine wanting to live in Kansas. Ever. Cool BOL or not, free land from a homestead act or not.

My biggest concern would be 'how do I make a living in that small town rural area?' if I took one of the parcels. Gotta have positive cash flow, somehow.

that is correct,unless you have a ss,pension coming in,jobs will be limited in those towns.

hey I'm from a rural town in Nebraska haha theres always money to be had..If you're willing to work for it, I'm sure everybody around here would make it just fine in a rural area. but ya gotta be where you're happy, and I respect that

For those of us who are married, my plan is to get eventually some land and go as "self sufficient" as possible. But like mentioned above you do need a positive cash flow. So my wife already has a teaching degree but she is also working on her medical transcription certification as well. Our agreement was that I would work the land and she would have a job to bring in the much smaller than once needed cash flow. With those two job fields to choose from she should be able to get a job in even the smallest of towns and rural areas. Plus going with solar panels and wind mills will also reduce the cost of living tremendously.