Sign in to follow this  
Ranger

Make a plan

One thing i have not found here is how to make a good plan.

And one thing i learnd in the military was to make a plan even if i was just going to take a dump!

Rifle ;Check

Paper ;Check

Wind direction ;Check

Enemy mowements ;Check

Showel ;Check

Ok, i have eased up a little bit on that plan after i started to live permanently in a apartment again:o

Point is; wihtout a plan most of us wil be like chickens running around in circkles.

And yes, i know that first thing happening when SHTF is your plan going down the drain.

But if there was nothing in that plan u could use, then u have not done a good job!

Most important part may be the planning itself; Studeing maps and google earth, Finding out vere to get extra suplies after an event (there are sources out ther most people wold not think of) planning with some one makes u see things from several direcktions.

Kontinu later, must do something fore my boss(wife)......

Edited by Ranger

Ranger,

Welcome, sir. Yep, have a plan; have a plan B because plan A won't work! If you're prudent you'll also have a plan C (I do). Given that, no plan survives first contact with the enemy. Wish I had said that but it is from Field Marshall Helmuth Carl Bernard Graf von Moltke (26 October 1800 – 24 April 1891). Bright boy - he was the architect of of German unification. Harry Truman noted that a plan may be 'amended' to fit different situations but it is extremely difficult to 'scale up' a small plan to fit a larger problem. Both had solid insights. If you don't have a plan that can be modified to the current situation, then your survival depends on luck and 'Luck is a really lousy Plan A'. (Capt Bart:cool:)

Edited by Capt Bart

The problem with the situation is that normally you make a plan and then somebody else critiques it, gives you other ideas. Here we're dependent on ourselves, especially bad for those of us who don't have family.

So how do you evaluate your plan and come up with B & C?

Never met a plan that was worth a snot but any plan still beats no plan.

Plan "A" - Have a plan

Plan "B" - Get ride of Plan "A"

Plan "C" - Revise Plan "B"

Plan "D" - Correct Plan "C"

Plan "E" - Try Plan "D"

Plan "F" - Stay with Plan "E"

The problem with the situation is that normally you make a plan and then somebody else critiques it, gives you other ideas. Here we're dependent on ourselves, especially bad for those of us who don't have family.

So how do you evaluate your plan and come up with B & C?

femvet,

very good question. You start with your assumed scenario for TSHTF. Then you devise your response. That is "Plan A". Set it down for a bit to 'marinate' in your mind while you start making preps. Basic preps are common to all plans (like the first two years of college - they're pretty much the same regardless of degree or field). Then go back and pick it up and review it. When you get news on the TV, think about how that might change your plans. Suppose that an EMP is what you think is most likely. OK, work on that but what happens when the economy collapses? Not if, when, because it is too far gone not to collapse. Plan B. What if the collapse isn't total - there is some rule of law left but it is unreliable? Murphy being an optimist, what is left will interfere with your plans so then what? What IF the government proclaims martial law and demands that we turn in our weapons and move to a 'secure area'?

These are the what if games that people need to play. What if the people you are depending on as your group don't make it to the location? As a pilot I always played these games. Very few of them actually happened but when I lost the only engine I had on my helicopter, I was ready. The same applies to our preps. If you are prepared to survive a CME that will take down the grid and severely hamper the infrastructure, then you are in a pretty good place for an economic collapse.

There are a lot of folks here who have other ideas of what is going to happen. They may be right, who knows? The Black Swan is going to happen (the home break in could negate ALL planning if you are seriously injured or killed) and any preps beat no preps (the security for after the EMP allows you to escape the break in unharmed) each and every time.

Does this help?

Edited by Capt Bart

I'm fortunate in that I have several like-minded friends in the area that I can bounce my ideas off of. We'll each come up with a plan and then subject it to some constructive criticism from the others. Once you have your plans in place, testing it is the best way to see if it works!

If you dig through older articles, there was a good one that talked about planning for the three sizes of disasters (local, regional and national/global) and it had links to a website that predicted the 12 most likely disasters (EMP attack, asteroid impact, etc).

Thank you Wolfe!

Some of this is covered, but allso a lot not finished:(

Taking ammaturradio course right now, hopfully i wil have my call sign some time this summer:confused:

Ranger

Thank you Wolfe!

Some of this is covered, but allso a lot not finished:(

Taking ammaturradio course right now, hopfully i wil have my call sign some time this summer:confused:

Ranger

Good idea, Ranger. There is a preppers net on a weekly basis on 80 meters. I don't usually check it but I know it is there. We have a thread on ham radio. I am a ham, like it, and encourage others to get into it. It is a good skill set and helps you have a basic understanding of electrical stuff.

yesss!!!!!

Got my callsign today LA7OTA :D but wont be up and running in the air fore some time:(

Ranger

LA7OTA

Ranger,

Congratulations, OM. I'm on CW a lot, very little on phone. If you get involved with using code, you might look at the SKCC (Straight Key Century Club) at www.skccgroup.com http://www.skccgroup.com/

I'm WB5JWI so if you hear me on the air, give a call. I can work Europe reasonably well but mostly UK, France, Spain etc. The more northern countries tend to be harder for me to get to due to the way the bands have been.

Ranger - You pose a great question. It is one subject that many of us may not be have spent sufficient time on. I know I haven't. Any plan is better than none at all and one that is written down/documented is better than one in your head. You can search on the web for disaster planning and go from there. Personally, I prefer to include a matrix where options clearly and easily identified to assist in decision making. It is easy to follow when the pucker factor rises. Checklists are critical. There are so many things to consider it can seem daunting. Having a plan, any plan, is a good start for what should be a never ending process. Good luck!

Never met a plan that was worth a snot but any plan still beats no plan.

Plan "A" - Have a plan

Plan "B" - Get ride of Plan "A"

Plan "C" - Revise Plan "B"

Plan "D" - Correct Plan "C"

Plan "E" - Try Plan "D"

Plan "F" - Stay with Plan "E"

This how it goes in real life.

Femvet,

You are right on the being dependent on ourselves and it being bad for those of us without family. I have one, older sister who lives fifteen minutes from me, but we see each other like, every other month. I love her, but know that I can not depend on her if something catastrophic were to happen. She would not leave her home, I know she wouldn't. No way, no how, so I would definitely be on my own. I have my basic plan A that I am working on, but no where near forming back up plans yet. The information available makes it hard to stick with the one plan because, if you are like me, 9 times out of 10, someone suggests something and you think, "yeah, that just might be better", so you change the plan. Overwhelming sometimes.