Sign in to follow this  
NWRedneck

2 liter bottles

i've seen online that fema approves 2 liter bottles for the storage of foods. so i bought 100 pounds of rice and started filling bottles. now im worried about air getting to it. is it gonna be a big deal. i dont eat rice much so i dont know how it taste after its been sitting a while. also i was wondering if it is necessary to add anything, such as a cap of bleach, to water when storing it for long periods

et me give it a try.

Yes: you can store food in them as long as they are properly cleaned and completely dry. However, this is NOT for long-term storage since light gets into them. Long-term food needs to be stored air-tight away from light, heat and moisture. Best is Mylar bags inside food-grade containers.

Water: 12 drops of bleach or Calcium Hypochlorite per gallon of water meant for long-term. Up to six months just use your regular water for garden or plants anf fill up with regular tap water.

Hope this helps

PS: We have tons of info under the Food and Water section, check it out.

I have posted this before go to your nearest pool service company and get or buy their old

buckets they have screw lids and a rubber seal perfect for storing food buy mylar bags from

www.beprepared.com to line the buckets

you can make your own oxygen absorbers from 4 ought steel wool and salt in a square of white muslin

cut your steel wool into tablespoon size barley dampen with water and add a 1/2 teaspoon of salt

tie the corners up with string so nothing can leak out as the steel rusts in absorbs transforms the oxygen

in the bucket/ mylar liner.

salt sugar do not need any treatment bujt all grains need to be put in the freezer 10 days and let set

on table for 2 to come back to room temp leave in original paper sacks or boxes to keep moisture from

getting in remove from bags or boxes and put in mylar bags remove air twist and fold and tie put

in buckets it will last many years I have some that has been stored 12 + years and I tested and was

still OK.

do not buy mixes they have fat / lard etc and will go rancid

only buy plain grains / milled grain

corn meal

oat meal

grits

white rice

cream of wheat oats

flours

salt sugar and corn starch baking soda do not need treatment buy baking powder in cans enough to make

all your flour into bread biscuits or crackers etc.

there are plenty of things you can store hard vacuum pack bricks of coffee will last as long as they stay

sealed and tight if you like coffee pack them in a bucket and seal

you need half gallon mason jars of spices like pickling spice and others pepper and bullion chicken and beef

people have no Idea how much power and equipment not to mention 90% of spices come from

thousands of miles away and go bad or get gummy and off flavors unless kept dry and sealed.

I would get 55 or 60 gallon food / blue drums from water treatment or bottling companies water

is the most important thing a 55 gallon drum holds only 42 U.S. gallons that is 42 days if you do not

wash anything bathe or so cut that in half 21 days

paper towels ass wipe and paper plates are needed also soap antibacterial dish washing liquid .and lye bar

soap

all I do know is I think everyone needs 90 days minimum of everything so you do not have4 to leave

your home PERIOD medications including and especially over the counter meds

because if you cannot access your bank or cannot work if there is rioting or a work stoppage any number of events we could be in for any number of disasters I do not see the extreme ones like meteors

or tidal waves or even sun flares but the normal money and weather disasters that we can prepare for.

you need half gallon mason jars of spices like pickling spice and others pepper and bullion chicken and beef

people have no Idea how much power and equipment not to mention 90% of spices come from

thousands of miles away and go bad or get gummy and off flavors unless kept dry and sealed.

so would i need to put the spices in a mason jar then seal them in a pressure cooker or just seal the lid by hand tightly. thats a good idea mason jars for spices its probably alot cheaper then half gallon mylar bags.

and thanks for the link not much variety, they only had the 20" x30" bags but about six dollars cheaper than amazon for 10

so would i need to put the spices in a mason jar then seal them in a pressure cooker or just seal the lid by hand tightly. thats a good idea mason jars for spices its probably alot cheaper then half gallon mylar bags.

and thanks for the link not much variety, they only had the 20" x30" bags but about six dollars cheaper than amazon for 10

you can just use a vacuum sealer with a jar sealer attachment no heat just keep the air out.

2 liters work decent for grains and such, if you can seal them up air tight and put them in the dark.

As for water, I have 1 word for that. NO! Many plastics that are not meant specifically for water will begin to deteriorate after X amount of months, and then your water is gone, and whatever is next to it is ruined. Only use water grade plastics for storing water.