Sign in to follow this  
mr.smashy

What Self Defense Loads Do You Use? (Rifle and Pistol)

For my 45 colt I use Remington 250 grain hollow points. I would use hollow points in my XD 9mm but they will not feed into the ramp...trying to get that fixed. For my 12ga I use slugs

I assume you've tried a variety of manufacturers' ammo. While you can usually find a round that will feed (have you tried Hornady's stuff?) I agree that a pistol SHOULD feed almost, if not all, any round of the right caliber. I'd hate to have the only ammo I can buy not feed well. Hopefully your gun smith can get it fixed. You might also try a letter to the XD folks asking them what's their problem and copy all the gun magazines. It might help.

Capt, I have tried a couple different types of amnufacturer's but don't think I have tried hornady, though at this point I really don't want to buy any more hollow points until I can get the XD looked at by the good people of Springfield Armory. Thanks for the advice

Haven't found one yet, nor have I ever seen Jack's "magic beans". Just make sure your favorite loads are accurate out of what you are shooting them out of, then practice, practice, practice. Only hits matter.

While I've got some favorite loads that I "like", I've never seen any bad guy say, "Oh, you ONLY shot me with a .......". I have seen bad guy/s take point blank 00 buck shot rounds to the chest and then sprint off like a scalded gazelle, we found him two blocks later after he had bled out, no drugs in his system at all.

I've also seen bad guy/s hit in the hand, lower leg, with a .22lr writhing in agony on the ground screaming for us to get him to the hospital.

We take some pretty big risks when we choose to go armed and should realize that nothing works as planned all the time.

Appreciate the post on Prvi Partizan OTM rounds, had no idea they made them at all. Looks like I'll be getting some to check out.

My ammo is given to me, 9mm 147gr. and .45acp 230gr. Both are Winchester Ranger Talon laods. I buy my own pratice ammo, numerous boxes of 9mm and .45acp FMJ. The M1A gets federal 168gr gold medal match. My 870 gets whatever 00 buck and slug is on sale. My 8mm yugo mauser gets 198gr. FMJ surplus. My old sidearm(started with a revolver) is a S&W 65 ladysmith .357 magnum. Don't really stock much ammo for it.

Not trying to offend anyone here, but i wouldnt take any legal advice from law enforcement. They are not qualified to give legal advice. Call a private attorney or your states/district attorneys office if you are unsure of your local laws.

Agreed. Get legal advice from a lawyer you are paying. Lawyer-client privilege and acceptable advice. The local officer may NOT know the law or how it applies and you can get in trouble following it. Asking what they shoot is not legal advice.

When I wanted to know if it was legal under Texas' "51% rule" (if a place gets more than 50% of its revenue from selling booze you can't carry in it) to conceal carry in the "bar" part of a restaurant I asked my gun attorneys. If I get in trouble for following their advice I won't go to jail since I was following legal consul's advice.

I like hornady,but i use 45cal 230 tap+p i'm also coming out of a 17.5" barrel. 20 ga.mossy pump,a 22 semi,an ak NHM-91 20" barrel 7.62 x39. thats it and i'll have to get by with what i have. I do have major parts for every gun listed.Oh the 45 is an inexpensive high point, but works well for me.

I like hornady,but i use 45cal 230 tap+p i'm also coming out of a 17.5" barrel. 20 ga.mossy pump,a 22 semi,an ak NHM-91 20" barrel 7.62 x39. thats it and i'll have to get by with what i have. I do have major parts for every gun listed.Oh the 45 is an inexpensive high point, but works well for me.

I've notice that "inexpensive" doesn't mean "cheap" and I've found that "expensive" doesn't mean "well made" either. Hi Points seem to behave themselves reasonably well at the range. I've some friends that shoot them but they are range guns. I don't know anyone who carries one as a survival or daily carry so I can't speak to that. I do like the pistol caliber carbines. I "think" the Hi Point pistol mags fit the carbine but I'm not sure. If you know you might confirm that.

Also I like Hornady's ammo. It has always shot in anything I've fed it into and seems to be good stuff.