Sign in to follow this  
mr.smashy

What Self Defense Loads Do You Use? (Rifle and Pistol)

What ammo do you carry or keep your magazines loaded with? Do you have any particular reason for using that load?

For my 9mm CZ-75B I use 9mm 124 gr. Speer Gold Dots. Gold Dots have always tested well and have a good reputation on the street as being a solid performer.

4033529998_3d69b7a71c.jpg

30 GDHPs by mr.smashy, on Flickr

For my Glocks, I had been using Speer Gold Dots, but I've switched to 180 gr. Federal HSTs. The HST has tested very well, better than Gold Dots, especially through denim. Check out some expanded bullets in this photo.

4018656070_7d507c12a3.jpg

30 HSTs by mr.smashy, on Flickr

In my .22 pistol (Browning Buckmark) I shoot a standard velocity target load. The manufacturer changes based on what I can get my hands on, but my pistol likes this old Federal Target load and Aguila Pistol Match. I use a solid point for penetration and standard velocity to keep it quieter and more accurate. For .22 I believe that accuracy and penetration is more important that than expansion or hyper-velocity.

In my AR-15 carbine, I keep my mags loaded with Privi Partizan 75 gr. OTM. It's relatively cheap, fragments violently, and is very accurate. I have a 1:7 barrel and I know it's accurate out to 600 yards, but will probably fragment inside 200. While it's not Mk 262 or TAP, it's a quality heavy bullet round that has been 100% in training.

2758929908_f8d9a35399.jpg

PPU 75gr Match by mr.smashy, on Flickr

In my 20" AR-15, I use M855 (green tip). It's a proven performer in the 20" AR-15, and I only expect to use that rifle when I need the extra punch. I am considering switching over to PPU 75, but M855 is cheap and easy to stock pile (I can purchase it on strippers.)

The M1 Garand and the M1903 gets fed M2 ball. 150 gr. FMJ .30-'06 worked in the Second World War and the Korean War. I have some tracer and AP, but I keep most clips loaded with straight M2.

873863891_c15fe2da31.jpg

M1 Garand Enbloc Clip by mr.smashy, on Flickr

The shotgun gets an assortment of rounds, but the majority of the time it sits loaded with Federal LE Reduced Recoil 00 Buck. I also keep some Federal LE Reduced Recoil slugs handy. I believe the Federal LE line of shotgun shells are the best, they certainly work the best for me. Remington makes quality buck and slugs, but Federal seems to be a cut above. I was not impressed with Winchester's Ranger shells.

I don't really keep any other firearms ready for self defense. I only keep the .22 with a loaded magazine in case for some reason it's needed or I pick it up on accident. The Glocks and the shotgun are the primary defense weapons in the house, mostly because I don't feel good about touching off a rifle round in my neighborhood unless absolutely necessary.

When I had a .45 ACP, I used 230 gr. Federal Hydra Shoks, for the most part because I couldn't get 230 gr. Speer Gold Dots to feed reliably. I also had Winchester Black Talons, but discontinued their use and eventually gave them to a friend who's father is a 1911 collector.

So what are your loads and why?

My pistol is loaded, and backed up, with high capacity magazines. Not to get off the point but for me a moderately priced hollow point load will do the job.

I generally buy the Remington yellow jacket (??) self defense rounds. I have given then the Alabama dirt road test (blowing holes in old refridgerator door when FMJ bounce off) and they seem to work well and are on target when shot along side my practice rounds.

For my rifles I prefer the nosler trophy grade partition bullets. Federal, Hornady, and the others make line of ammo like this. It is superior for hunting and that is the long term use of my rifle. Nosler might not be the best at 600 yards but what it does to big game at 250 compared to match grade or boattail ammo is no comparason (not AR rifle - 30-06, .270, 300 mag). If it will rip a baseball size hole and drop a 200 plus size animal then it will do a number on zombies.

For the best value on rifle ammo, Remmington Core Lock at Waly-World. Dont like going there but it is good ammo that shoots very accurately when I replace it into rifle zeroed in with Nosler (equal grain) and can be dead on at 100 yards which is where most game is killed and since I am a self defense prepper I dont see me taking any action on perps outside 300 yards.

Edited by BamaMan

I keep all of my self defense handguns loaded with Hornady Critical Defense in the summer (.45-185gr +p, 9mm-115gr +p, .380-90gr.) but in the winter I trade out the .380's with American Eagle FMJ. (Need all the help I can get with all the winter coats and heavy clothing. Ya know?) The .45 stays with 185gr +p Hornady's but my wife likes the 124gr +p Speer Gold Dots in the winter.

Shot gun wasn't listed but I keep Federal 00 buck in the tube and I keep Remington Slugger Rifled Slugs on the stock JIC.

I don't really keep a rifle loaded for self defense though.............just loaded.:D

Speer Gold Dots (147gr 9mm I think) in my M&P9

Federal M193 in my AR15

Winchester Super X JHP in my .22 Mag derringer

Various other loads in my various other weapons... But these are the three that I am likely to grab.

Edited by Ready?4What?

Winchester Ranger Talons ride on both my 9mm and .45, 147g and 230g respectively. Those are my only true home defense weapons as I don't have a shotty yet. The AR is loaded with a mag of MK318 Mod 0 with spare mags loaded with a mixture of that and 62g steel core....not really home defense capable haha.

1926_pd884910_1.jpg

sost_round-tfb.png

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/02/17/usmc-adopt-new-5-56mm-mk318-mod-0-ammunition/

I keep all of my self defense handguns loaded with Hornady Critical Defense in the summer (.45-185gr +p, 9mm-115gr +p, .380-90gr.) but in the winter I trade out the .380's with American Eagle FMJ. (Need all the help I can get with all the winter coats and heavy clothing. Ya know?) The .45 stays with 185gr +p Hornady's but my wife likes the 124gr +p Speer Gold Dots in the winter.

I, too, am a fan of Hornady's CD ammo. The soft plug in the hollow point should make it a good penetrater even in the winter; that is why I prefer it especially for a .380.

I run Hornady in my Colt Commander and with the .45 ACP cylinder in my Ruger Blackhawk except that I keep 3 shot shells in the Blackhawk for pests close in (wild dogs, skunk, raccoon etc.). I run Hornady LeveRevolution in my .45 Colt lever gun and Ruger Vaquero. I run the 128 grain, +P hollow points (FBI LOAD) in my .38 and .357 Mag for home defense. In the tall and uncut, the .357 carries .357 Mag CD. Shot gun has OO Buck and Slugs.

I still load my .40 with the original Black Talons in 180, back up mag with 165 TMJ, My 1911 with Gold dot 230 +ps and back up mags with 230 Ball. Rifle in military surplus ball.

I used the Black Talons in my 1911 many years ago. But it was stolen with all that I had in the magazine. I had an LEO tell me that they were not wise to use because they showed that I intended to kill or do serious harm (well, yeah) if I shot an intruder with them. All of this was due to their infamous reputation. Whether they were more effective or not, they were bad bullets for evil people... I guess because they were black. Maybe we should paint them pink with little yellow smiley faces on the front. Thenthey would be happy, feel good bullets to get shot with...

I have my one home defense magazine loaded with Remington Home Defense .40 cal rounds. I keep it next to my bed along with a baton with an LED flashlight butt on it. I'd have to use the baton first, cause Illinois' Castle doctrine states that firearms may only be used if the intruder is actively attempting to take your life. Or in simpler terms, you must respond with an equal level of force as the intruder is showing. If they have a knife, you can only use a knife or a baseball bat etc, etc.

I hate this state.

I have my one home defense magazine loaded with Remington Home Defense .40 cal rounds. I keep it next to my bed along with a baton with an LED flashlight butt on it. I'd have to use the baton first, cause Illinois' Castle doctrine states that firearms may only be used if the intruder is actively attempting to take your life. Or in simpler terms, you must respond with an equal level of force as the intruder is showing. If they have a knife, you can only use a knife or a baseball bat etc, etc.

I hate this state.

I'd check the law again, it's true that you are "justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or another, or the commission of a forcible felony." I do not believe there is an equal level of force requirement. Check the Criminal Code of 1961, Article 7. The act even protects you from liability for using justified force.

And yes, I hate this state.

Edited by mr.smashy

Check the Criminal Code of 1961, Article 7. The act even protects you from liability for using justified force.

And yes, I hate this state.

I know I've said this before and often but find a solid law firm that works on gun cases and see if you can get them on retainer. You want someone like http://texaslawshield.com/ on retainer so you can say "talk to my attorney, he won't let me answer questions without him present".

It's worth the cost to not have to worry about it. Unfortunately, "this state" does not have agreements with Texas so I can't carry there nor does Texas Law Shield work there.

When I took the Utah Concealed carry course they said the same thing. There are only four things you should say to the police.

1) He attacked me.

2) There is the evidence (point to the weapon he had on him)

3) I will sign a complaint

4) Lawyer

5) Repeat step 4 until Lawyer arrives.

Another great quote was "every bullet had a lawyer attached to it."

And, if you scream at the top of your lungs "PLEASE DON'T HURT ME! PLEASE DON'T HURT ME! PLEASE DON'T HURT ME!" before you discharge your firearm in public or at home, then witnesses can tell the police that they did hear you begging for safety before you fired.

The lawyer who taught the law portion of my class (he was on the team that got CC passed in Ohio) said to contact your local PD and see what they carry. If you have to use your weapon, pointing out that you're not using some crazy super-bullet works in your defense. Personally i carry what works best and packs the most punch, etc.

The lawyer who taught the law portion of my class (he was on the team that got CC passed in Ohio) said to contact your local PD and see what they carry. If you have to use your weapon, pointing out that you're not using some crazy super-bullet works in your defense. Personally i carry what works best and packs the most punch, etc.

I've had very similar advise from quite a few and I pass it along. If your state cops use a .40 Hydrashok then it is almost impossible for the DA to argue that you deliberately used a "man killer" round because you just wanted to murder someone (never absolutely - crusading DAs are a terrible thing). It is part of the problem with some of the frangible rounds - they are safer from over penetration issues but are very difficult to justify to the jury who want to know why you HAD to kill that poor 19 year old gang banger. Just look at how sad his family is and IT'S YOUR FAULT! If you use what the cops use, hey, I figured the state knows better than me what is the safest defense round so I just follow their lead.

I hate it that such nonsense even comes up but the world is a strange place and getting stranger all the time.

I've had very similar advise from quite a few and I pass it along. If your state cops use a .40 Hydrashok then it is almost impossible for the DA to argue that you deliberately used a "man killer" round because you just wanted to murder someone (never absolutely - crusading DAs are a terrible thing). It is part of the problem with some of the frangible rounds - they are safer from over penetration issues but are very difficult to justify to the jury who want to know why you HAD to kill that poor 19 year old gang banger. Just look at how sad his family is and IT'S YOUR FAULT! If you use what the cops use, hey, I figured the state knows better than me what is the safest defense round so I just follow their lead.

I hate it that such nonsense even comes up but the world is a strange place and getting stranger all the time.

Hit the nail on the head. Of course I don't follow my own advice, but I've been considering talking to a few cop friends of mine to see what they carry. We've had quite a few shootings recently, in fact there were 2 today.

I've never been a .40 caliber "fan", nor was I required to carry a .40 when I was in law enforcement. I am quite happy with a .45ACP a 9mm, a .38/357,or even a .22LR, any firearm is better than a stern look.

I only carry factory self-defense ammunition, even when back in California and do not feel it is a liability of any kind.

Ditto to the posts above, I agree to cooperate as SOON as my attorney arrives. Other than that, as posted above, I'm not going to give out any information until legal counsel arrives so I can protect my self from the inevitable litigation against me, that will surely follow any use-of-force situation.

22 long rifle CCI 40 grain round nose copper plated hi velocity 1235 feet per second

9MM hydra-shok 124 grain alternated with Hirtenburger 124 grain ball

38 special hydra-shok 148 grain Nyclad's plinking 148 grain truncated cone jacketed

357 magnum hydra-shok 158 grain target 158 grain jacketed round nose

5.56 NATO AP Lake City SS-109 62 grain

7.62 NATO AP 147 grain hunting S&B 150 grain soft points

12 gauge 2 3/4" #4 buck shot S&B 27 pellets reduced velocity slugs Brenneke 2 3/4 K.O. sabot

For my SD pistol, I keep my Beretta 96 out and loaded in my nightstand. I choose it because of its safety options. I keep it loaded with Ranger T Series .40 cal. Also I have my Mossberg 500 ready to go with various brands of 00 buck. I think I may have a few rounds of 12g PDX1 laying around.

@ Delta7, I hate this state too

I used the Black Talons in my 1911 many years ago. But it was stolen with all that I had in the magazine. I had an LEO tell me that they were not wise to use because they showed that I intended to kill or do serious harm (well, yeah) if I shot an intruder with them. All of this was due to their infamous reputation. Whether they were more effective or not, they were bad bullets for evil people... I guess because they were black. Maybe we should paint them pink with little yellow smiley faces on the front. Thenthey would be happy, feel good bullets to get shot with...

Funny how an inanimate object like a bullet can have intent. Bad bullet ? The only way i can see a bullet to be bad is that i placed the bullet off target. Then the fault is mine not the bullet's.

As for home defense I go for the 12 gauge shotgun first. I prefer the Federal personal defense 12Ga 2 3/4 00 buckshot flight wad controlled along with Brenneke Tactical 12Ga 1oz rifled slug. 12 shots total before reload needed.

I had an LEO tell me that they were not wise to use because they showed that I intended to kill or do serious harm (well, yeah) if I shot an intruder with them.

I would think to avoid this, simply call the police station and ask them what ammo they use in various different firearms. Use the same. Thats why I have LE slugs for my 12ga

I would think to avoid this, simply call the police station and ask them what ammo they use in various different firearms. Use the same. Thats why I have LE slugs for my 12ga
Not trying to offend anyone here, but i wouldnt take any legal advice from law enforcement. They are not qualified to give legal advice. Call a private attorney or your states/district attorneys office if you are unsure of your local laws.