Sign in to follow this  
readytogo1955

Something interesting. Information.

I don't even have to look at the link to know I live in a bad place. MacDill AFB is less than ten miles from where I sit typing this. It's headquarters for Joint Readiness Command, among other things. It's a top 5 target for *every* type of WMD on earth, and has been since the late 1950s when SAC had their bombers here. My dad was the Disaster Preparedness Coordinator for MacDill at one time, and I even took one of his old notebooks with me when I attended an inter-service nuclear weapons school at White Sands in the early 80s. The last time I checked, Tampa was slated for five 10Mt warheads from a MIRV, plus one individual 20 Mt set for airburst right over the base. If a nuclear attack ever occurs, Tampa will be a glass crater filled with steaming water, in the middle of 200 square miles of wildfires.

Edit: I haven't checked lately, but it used to be almost exactly an eight minute flight from Cuba to Tampa, via Soviet ICBM. That's not a lot of time to do much here at GZ.

I ain't skeered and with the new stealth subs maybe less than 8 minutes if they can run a ton of coke

and grass onto the beach then that means your wasting your time worrying if it happens it happens.

I try to focus on those things I can prep for.

I doubt nukes will be used by most of our enemies because most of the areas have natural resources

that they all need now and in the future a few are stupid enough to try it but the backlash would

be problematic as we can I.D. were a substance comes from PDQ.

all this is like worrying about a hemorrhoid you don't have and no one in your family ever had them

and I have a real doubt that all the targets will be hit as the aftermath would ring the world and cause

as much devastation elsewhere so that is doubtful.

and our response would add to that so maybe 1 or 2 but not a concentrated effort IMO.

Hmmm, and to think a few thought I'd really gone off the deep end when I invested in mil-spec NBC suits

and Advantage 1000 masks and extra filters. I guess there'd be some survivors! Makes me think of

The Book of Eli...Anyone see that movie? Christ!

Thanks for the link. I have got to get out of the Houston area.

Agreed... this place is toast! I was, however, surprised to see all the hits in the Central Texas area... I understand the priority of hitting military bases, but places like Waco? Geeze!

This is old data I think. Some of the bases they are hitting are long gone and closed as are a lot of the missile fields they are hitting. Just think how pissed some of those rich folks would be if they bought space in one of those converted silos and got hit because of old data!

I have to admit when I was a kid in the early sixties and we use to drill at school for an attack I used to think it was fun, as I got a little older the reality of the drills sunk in, you know, bend over and kiss your ass goodbye. Over the years I lost my fear of an attack until they started talking EMP blasts over the country. That is something that MAD won't stop and is a real possibility.

the areas are still good but for different reasons

Moral breaker, population killer.

Over the years I lost my fear of an attack until they started talking EMP blasts over the country. That is something that MAD won't stop and is a real possibility.

B'Gs point about a man made EMP or even an event from the sun would knock us

"practically" back to the stone age for a time as far as modern convience's are concerned. Not totally, but partially. Anyone read the books Lights Out or One Second After? Talk about chaos!

I have to admit I'm also more concerned about an EMP. All it would take is one nuklear explosion high in the atmosphere over Kansas and the country is toast.

A more likely event with potentially the same results is an attack on our electrical grid!

At the same time, seems to me that there are THOUSANDS of these 'strike zones' around the country... Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only other nations that could possibly bring that kind of weight to bear (just in sheer number of nukes) is limited to the United States, Russia, and (maybe?) China?

Granted, these maps are pretty much only looking at a Russian strike... considering they're dated 1990 - I'm not trying to knock the site, it is VERY interesting, but there's no doubt that it's out-dated.

Edited by Rampart