Sign in to follow this  
desert rat

Indivdual stored pkg"s

Don't know if I'm wrong on this, first time I've tried it.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to store individual

pkgs in mylar bags and containers. I picked up some boxes

of Chex Mix at Sams. The boxes contains (36) 1.75oz bags.

I've left them in the bags and put them in mylar bag and 5 gal.

food grade containers and was wondering if this packaging

method would cause any demize to the product and if anyone

other than myself has done this? BTW, the 36 small bags fit

like this perfectly as mentioned in above storage method. Just

hope they keep. Yes, they have an Oxy absorber and hand warmer

in each container. The expire date was 31Dec.2014 on the pkg.

What do you think?

I was thinking of snacks for the kids that could be here or anyone else

for that matter. I took into consideration that it would be salty but I will

be good on water. Pardon the house slippers, lol........ The floor is a

little cool down here.

post-1547-13851498032706_thumb.jpg

Edited by desert rat

Well...You 'container' may not be an actual 'food container' but this usually doesnt matter a whole lot.

The food items themselves are sealed air tight. SO this alone should keep the snacks intact. You mylar clontainer keeping the collection out of driect exposure to degrading elements; light/moisture. Just keep the mylar bag full of snacks stored at normal room temperature, with few temp variations. THey should be fine.

NV-77 All my 5gal. pales are BPA free food/drink grade containers. (????)

Desert Rat,

Also consider getting some hard candy for long term storage for the kids. Lemon drops come to mind. This is one of the items which the Civil Defense did pack at one time back in the 50s. I tried some of these that we opened in the 80s and they were still good.

Desert Rat,

Also consider getting some hard candy for long term storage for the kids. Lemon drops come to mind. This is one of the items which the Civil Defense did pack at one time back in the 50s. I tried some of these that we opened in the 80s and they were still good.

Thx Vis, you da man! Wonder if Jolly Ranchers'll keep. Heck I like those things,

Starburst? You created a sweet tooth monster Vis. Maybe all hard candy would

keep like that, hmmmmm?

Jolly Rancher O.K. Starburst, don't know about that. You would not want some types of candy which have sugars which would crystallize. Not that it would hurt if they did but it would create a mouth texture issue. I do not know if there is an expiration date on hard candy unless it suffers from a degrading of the flavoring to some extent. Maybe someone will know the answer to that.

hard candy good for diabetic low sugar and a quick pick me up on the run can be used to flavor water etc.

No probs here with sugar issues as of yet Snake. Doesn't mean someone else wouldn't have a problem though. One bad thing; being on the run is one thing

guess that's okay for a pick up, but that sugar will make you crash eventually.

As for drinking Snake, I have Tang, lotsa instant coffee, powdered milk, Propel singles, Koolaid and CountryTime.

Jolly Rancher O.K. Starburst, don't know about that. You would not want some types of candy which have sugars which would crystallize. Not that it would hurt if they did but it would create a mouth texture issue. I do not know if there is an expiration date on hard candy unless it suffers from a degrading of the flavoring to some extent. Maybe someone will know the answer to that.

Vis, I went through an escapade with the little woman on Honey crystalizing. It's BAD! She said. No it isn't dear. It's BAD I tell you! No it isn't! Well why the white stuff?

It's sugar.. It's bad and I'm not eating it! Okay fine, I'll eat it on my biscuit! I set "submersed" the honey jar in hot water which intern dissolved the white stuff, "sugar". Why didn't you tell me you had a new jar of honey? She asked while eating it. I didn't have the heart or the gonads to tell her it was the same jar.....Well ,,,, I coulda been killed ya know!

Edited by desert rat

The Rat is right. honey is excellent. Stores virtually forever and can also be used as a germ killing wound dressing (I've heard). An easy way to store and carry honey is in those little plastic tubes like you find at Renn Faires and health food stores. Lots of flavored honey sticks available too! Great pick-me-up for hiking or wandering around a fair or carnival (or while running from zombies).

Can also be used to make mead for a really nice little pick-me-up.

Raw honey is also good for allergies. If you get honey that's from a local

beekeeper. Got that from an older gent years ago. Started using local honey

and my allergy symptoms became less and less annoying. I also am not allergic

to bees. I don't know how this would effect someone with a bee allergy. Some

guys I know would die from a sting. Dunno if they eat honey or not. A question

I need to ask one of them.

I keep several quarts from a local beekeeper on hand all the time.

Smart man, keep your yap shut. LOL

LOL also Femvet. I've learned from experience, believe me!

Edited by desert rat