Sign in to follow this  
jerry9491

Anyone have SHTF experience?

Okay, this may be a bit personal, so don't answer part 1 if you'd rather not.

1st question- When in the past have you experienced a SHTF situation?

2nd question- How did you deal with it and what helped you get through it?

3rd question- What did you learn from it?

i think the closest i came to a real SHTF was:

On deployment in the Mediterranean Sea, ship pulled into Haifa Isreal for resupply so I hopped a TOur bus, with many others from my Unit, to Jerusalem. During a 'cease-fire/treaty'.

THe bus dropped in at the 'Wailing Wall'. One side of the square was a platoon size unit of Israeli soldiers, other side had same number of Palastinians. With about 100 American Navy 'tourists' in the middle, doing what tourists do.

We went on to see the sites, very hot, fun, interesting, chillin with my friends with me, then we noticed.... we MISSED THE BUS!! literaly! THe group and bus was gone!! Im more than 100miles from the SHip in 'cease fire' territory, with 1 other person. Oncewe realized YES.. We are Alone... it was time to practice Urban Evasion. Quickly bought some local garb, found a lil spot for tea within sight of the Bus drop point, believing another tour group would be along in a few hours, sitting our back against the wall, waiting and watching for someone familiar. It was 6hours later before the next tour showed up, but uneventful.

1968..Detroit

Living in"Herman Gardens".(Those who lived in Detroit Know 'where it was')

Mom and Dad were divorced,I had 15 stiches already(I was a dumb ass at 14)..Dad drove up to the dwelling and said get you stuff!!I did and was on a bus heading to my sisters in West Virginia!!

My father explained that it would be safer and that I need to stay there for a while!!

He was correct,and it formed a life lesson for me!!

Pick and choose the area thats safest for you to live in..40 pluss years later Im back in West Virginia..

Most of my SHTF moments have been natural disasters. I lived through flooding where we had a boat pick us up at our front door when I was around five. Our house caught fire when I was about eight. Lived through a few hurricanes. Recently hurricane Irene left flooding and no power for a week. Ive learned that you can never be too prepared.

Q1. Barely qualifies, since the one most directly affected was my daughter. Fall 2007: we got the call no parents want to get...she was in an accident, an ATV roll over, 2 hours away. We drove there in middle of the night. The abridged version is that we were with her for one week, at U.K. Med Center...pelvis broken in 5 places.

Q2. Prayer and community of other hospital inhabitants helped us get through. I'm sure that will seem a little "provincial" to some folks on this site. LOL. After 3 months in a hospital bed at home (this was during her 1st semester in college) she is fine (and even married) now. Our prayers were answered.

Q3. No BOB, no nothing...for one week we slept on a pull out hospital couch/bed. That sucked.

Here are the SHTF that goes on in my life. LOL .

Did forget to cut the grass, shovel the snow, take the garbage out, wife gets mad, TSHTF!

Dog does a number #1/#2 or both in the house, TSHTF!

Teaching firearms safety to new members, something stupid happens i get blamed, because i taught them, TSHTF!

Teaching martial arts , students spar, someone gets a broken body part, parents get mad/upset TSHTF!

The SH!T is always HITTING the FAN in my life, ain't life grand, when the SHTF.

RANT OUT.

Edited by P210SIG

Did forget to cut the grass, shovel the snow, take the garbage out, wife gets mad, TSHTF!

Teaching firearms safety to new members, something stupid happens i get blamed, because i taught them, TSHTF!

Yeah, all that too! LOL

MikeE,

some of the WORST TSHTF events happen to those we love; especially if we aren't even in the same state. I have never felt as helpless as when my bride was very sick in Arizona and I was working in California. Terrifying.

Tomorrow is my 63rd birthday; I don't think there is enough space on the site's servers to hold all TSHTF events. Most of them start with me nominating myself for a Darwin Award, a few were actually NOT my fault. Rare but they do occasionally happen that way:rolleyes:

Aside from the obvious, combat/military related events I think my first, adult TSHTF happened when I was 21. My bride and I were headed for a relative's funeral when an idiot went around us doing well over 100 mph. About a mile ahead, we saw him T-bone a guy making a left turn. When we got there, the guy that was hit was having a seizure, flat on the pavement, with the back of his skull cracked open. I started first aid for the seizure (I was in Army Flight School and had been trained a bit on first aid) and then was kneeling next to him holding his brains in his skull and trying to keep him from moving.

The police showed up, started dealing with traffic, the ambulance was on the way when another idiot topped that expletive deleted hill doing extremely high speed. He saw the LEOs and locked everything up. I was kneeling by the victim, between his car and the skidding clown doing 100 mph. The only thing I remember thinking was 'I can't leave this guy' and 'This is going to HURT!' Fortunately, he did get it stopped. The LEO's explained the error of his ways in very expressive ways as they put him in the back of a squad car. They actually had to move his car to allow the ambulance attendants to get to us. They were that close together.

After the police reports etc., we headed on out for the funeral. I was driving but we needed to stop so I could wash my hands as they were covered in blood. We stopped at the first place we found and I cleaned up. It wasn't until we were on the way back that I realized we'd driven through 3 towns that we had not even seen before I saw the place we stopped.

I learned a couple of things. Sometimes you can't do anything except hang on. I lived by a matter of feet - another mile an hour from the second car and neither of us would have made it - we'd have been a sandwich. I also learned that you can be in shock without being hurt. The blood and wreck put me into shock or I would not have missed THREE towns. Sometimes you can do the right thing and it won't matter but sometimes it can matter a great deal to a lot of people. I got a really moving letter from the wife of the victim a couple of months later. He made it; 6 weeks in the hospital but no permanent injury. He had 4 kids and was their sole support. Felt good.

Final thing; I wasn't afraid during the event. I was in uniform and thought that I had to stop; honor of the uniform thing. Once there, I wasn't thinking very much, just doing what I could and what was necessary. I nearly came apart while washing my hands. The reaction set in and my wife had to finish the drive for us. I was shaking like a leaf in a tornado. Amazing how the body reacts to stress.

Teaching martial arts , students spar, someone gets a broken body part, parents get mad/upset TSHTF!

The SH!T is always HITTING the FAN in my life, ain't life grand, when the SHTF.

RANT OUT.

U feel better after venting a lil ? TO much stress for me... My cats are potty-trained :P

Capt Bart,

SOunds like your training and adrenaline totally took over in that moment. ANd your resolve saved that dudes life. DOnt be ashamed of your (bodies) reaction once the adrenaline wore off. Well done sir.

About 15 years ago, I was doing some late season deer hunting with my muzzleloader...first day I sat in a ladder stand on the edge of a wooded area next to a plowed area. I saw about 40 deer the first night so as you might imagine, I was a little excited. As it grew darker, I was watching a monster buck moving along the edge of the field, letting the others test the area before he would commit to a line of travel...anyway he never got close enough to take a shot at, so the next afternoon I got out there a little earlier, around 3:00 pm, and since it was colder out (about 10-15 below), I decided to circle around the field and get to the other side and be closer the where the deer ended up the night before...so I get out there and they started comin', walking right by me on both sides, totally unbelievable but I wanted that buck, bad. So I waited, and waited, and waited. Well I got so cold I knew I had to get out so I started out, bringing the gun, my pack, and my bucket. It was getting dark, and I was losing it a little, I think, I walked out right through a line of a 8 or 9 deer....a couple of them grunted at me, not sure of what I was, I guess, and I just kept on going, slowly losing feeling in my fingers and toes...I did what I could to keep my circulation going, but it was tough with the load I was carrying. Anyway eventually I made to my truck, using my Astrostart so the headlights would be on so I would see it and it would be warmed up when I got there...I couldn't get the door opened so I stuck my hands in my pants until they would be functional enough to open the door. It took me awhile to get where I felt like driving out of there. I ended up with 3 frostbitten fingertips, which still give me trouble to this day.

I was so stupid to hunt alone at that time of year, and I think I should have left my stuff and got out of there and came back for it later.

There was a time when I was little and I was the only white kid in a atlanta city school during the rodney king beating. I got my A$$ whooped alot. How did I deal with it? After school I would run to my Moms car as fast as possible. Heres what I learnt from it. You dont always have to try to be tough. How will this help in a real SHTF environment? I see alot people on sites like these talk about how many guns they bought and how much ammunition they have saved up but what they dont know is that all it takes is one bullet. If your in a situation where you have to use your gun chances are the other person has a gun also. So pick and choose your fights. Its ok to back down and even run.

I had the dubious honor of being left in the mountains with a few other men for a while in an area known for it's land mines and guerrilla fighters. It was an opportunity to get by with a minimum of equipment, and limited (near non existent) support. In retrospect a lot of that experience seems to fall in with getting by a few weeks after TEOTWAWKI and beyond. Not a perfect parallel, but close in a lot of ways. It was interesting to see how much sustained abuse my body could take over a long period of time, and how my mental condition changed over a prolonged period in an austere isolated environment.

let's all talk about something nice like cancer.

my mental condition is perfect, for analysis and medication so far my doctor thinks I am fine got him

fooled LMAO.

and I never understood why they called them guerrilla fighters they did not look like them ape pictures

in the national geographic.

and the women never look like in the spy films more like bag ladies from Los Angeles.

and you know your in a no fun zone when you get your mail in a greased paper sack shoved in a jar

3 weeks old with a potato security system taped to it.

ain't life fun, now you have something you can't tell anyone including your grand kids LOL

Yep, been in a self-imposed SHTF that I remember clear as a bell.

New Years Eve day 2000, I went for a hike with the French girl, now the French wife from the parking lot on Mt. Shasta to John Muirs cabin. I recall setting the camera on top of the car for a self-portrait of both of us with Shasta peak just behind. It was already afternoon, perhaps 3 or 4 pm. Forebodingly, we passed a flyer posted of some older dude about 40 posted near the trailhead, who recently went missing.

I'd done the same hike before, it's only a few miles. There was snow on the ground but the weather was sunny. We only passed a few people on the way up to the cabin, it was pretty deserted because of the holiday. The sky began to cloud over at the cabin so we headed back down the trail.

We came to a fork in the trail and I remembered left but the French girl insisted it was right....we went right. Soon you couldn't really see any trail just a lot of footprints going every direction in about 4-6 inches of snow that covered the ground. After a while the temperature starts to plunge and it started to snow.....no one around. We're lost!

Now, I've at least got Sorrel boots on and a Navy A1 jacket if you know what those are, but just cotton Levis, a cotton undershirt, no hat or gloves. The French girl only has flimsy canvas tennis shoes, cotton capri pants a light tee shirt and a light parka, no hat or gloves. We have no food, water, tools, shelter,etc... nothing.....

1/2 hour or so later we meet an injured woman on cross country skis....she tells us the road is near and just keep going down, we'll hit it.....then she skis off in a hurry to get off the mountain and nurse her ankle. We should have asked her to take us to the trail head.....

Soon the snow really start pouring down and it's getting late, visibility is no more than 20 yards. The French girl is getting rattled (so am I but keep suppress it) Now we're walking in snow with no visible tracks, only trees.....she's freezing and says she can't feel her feet.....

We stumble upon a small transformer shed.....locked! I can't bust into it! I just want to get us off this damn mountain..... Never did much camping and my experience in the snow is limited to a few weekends on a snowboard.... I'm begin to look at the trees and think for an instant about a digging/making a snow cabin. I try to rip off a large branch....way too solid. I'm worried we might be stuck here for the night...

The French girl is getting weaker and the snow is now between ankle and knee deep. She is slowing down. I keep seeing in my head the guy on the poster lost in the very same area just a week before. I'm thinking this girl is going to get frostbite and lose her toes, etc. but the situation was actually even more grim for inexperienced yahoos like us.... I knew that I MUST get us out!

I set her down against the shed and give her my A1 to cover her feet and legs, now I have just Levis and a white undershirt....but at least the Sorrels....I'm not cold because of the adrenaline. I am very careful to walk a direct line from her position and head out about 100 yards to look for the way out. I loose sight of her after the 1st 10 yards..... I see nothing but trees and I'm trudging though snow drifts past my knees....this is a serious SHTF.....

I head back, help her up and tell her we are NOT staying on this mountain! It's after sunset. I force march us, semi-dragging the French girl keeping in the same direction.... FINALLY, we stumble upon a sign! The way out the skier told us about! The ground get harder and easier walk on as we find the trail. After 20 minutes the French girl heats back up and can walk normally..... another 20 minutes and we finally clear the forest and hit the asphalt road back to the parking lot. Night has fallen. We walk another 20 minutes up the road and flag down a car who drives us another 20 minutes back to our car at the trailhead parking.

We were car-camping so my 86 BMW 535i was our camper for the night. Snuggled under wool blankets we had in the car and shared a 1/2 bottle of wine, cold crumby homemade bread with Nutella....best damn meal I ever ate! We tried to sleep but teen revelers arrived in their cars after midnight and partied for hours....we didn't care. Next morning we continued our journey just happy to be alive....the lost hiker was never found.

Anyways, this hike should have been a no brainer, but we were completely un-prepared for disaster....learned a lot since.

Hope you all enjoyed the read.

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

Thanks, Wolf.

It is the Black Swan that gets you, isn't it? If we knew we were nominating ourselves for the Darwin Award we just would not do it but .....

Thanks for sharing, sir. There is a reason to always have fire starter, blade, etc. Most city folks just don't understand (with that deep down, visceral, keep your backside alive understanding) how quickly weather can change and kill you. It's a different change in the mountains, or plains, or desert but you are just as dead.

Edited by Capt Bart

Thanks, Wolf.

It is the Black Swan that gets you, isn't it? If we knew we were nominating ourselves for the Darwin Award we just would not do it but .....

Thanks for sharing, sir. There is a reason to always have fire starter, blade, etc. Most city folks just don't understand (with that deep down, visceral, keep your backside alive understanding) how quickly weather can change and kill you. It's a different change in the mountains, or planes, or desert but you are just as dead.

The Black Swan indeed Capt Bart.

Life is a fragile thing and that includes us. I was nervous at the time, but it really didn't hit me until later on what a close call that was. That it all could have stopped and ended for us right there New years 2000, no kids no family, everything since with our lives just wouldn't be.....

My wife is no helpless wimp either, was and still is very strong and athletic, worked for the red cross, knows advanced first aid......but none of that mattered as we were completely un-prepared. It was sheer force of will (my will) that got us out.

I will never allow myself to get caught like that again.

Wolfe

I had two things happen in Montana, neither of which were nearly as severe as what people here have described. One was pure stupidity on my part, and the other one was, well, not exactly a genius moment either, but at least I was prepared to deal with it!

Pure Stupidity

Went to visit some friends near Georgetown Lake in Montana. My roommate and I basically planned to hang out at a bar all night, crash at a pal's apartment (which was within walking distance of the bar), and then come home the next morning. My headache that comes with my hangover the next morning is severe enough to reduce my IQ to about 50, and I allow myself to get talked into going snowmobiling around my friend's cabin, which is out in the middle of nowhere and used to be a miner's cabin in the early 1900s. Keep in mind that I'm wearing a long-sleeved thermal shirt under a short-sleeved tee, thick cotton pants, cotton socks, Converse All-Stars, and a fleece pullover with a ski hat. There are four of us and two snowmobiles, so I let my roommate drive - he's a bit reckless and we dump out into waist-deep snow two or three times in the first hour or so. He realizes - before I do - that I'm freezing cold, and takes me back to the cabin. I pull off my shoes and socks, which are soaked through like the rest of my clothes, and my feet are so cold they look mostly blue and purple. Everyone else had snow gear, so I told them to go out again while I warmed up in the cabin.

It gets worse. The cabin isn't particularly well insulated, since it's just logs over a concrete floor. I stoke up the wood stove and realize I'm never going to get warm in my wet clothes. Since everyone is going to be gone for a while, I figure it's no big deal to strip down to my underwear. There isn't much furniture and there's no clothesline, so I gently arrange my clothes along the wood stove and sit under a blanket, enjoying the view out of the drafty window. I wake up to the smell of smoke, which is coming from my pants, which are thisclose to going up in flames. In fact, the whole front section kind of burned/melted away. I hurried to pull all of my clothes back on, and thanked my lucky stars that my thermal and fleece were long enough to hide the fact that I'd nearly set my friend's cabin on fire using my own pants as a wick.

So yes, in the span of about two hours, I went from freezing to nearly burning myself to death. It was an awfully nice nap while it lasted, though.

Why I Dislike Elk

Don't get me wrong, they are delicious. But I lived out in the woods - 20 miles outside of the nearest town there was a turnoff to 11 miles of gravel road, and my place was at the end of that road. FYI, I was driving a 1986 VW Jetta at the time, well known for their off-road capacity and impact resistance. LOL

Anyway, one of the people who lived at the property with me was going to pick up his fiancee from the airport in Missoula later that night. We decided to get dinner in town, have a drink at the bar, then I'd drive back in my car and he'd drive on to the airport in his truck. It's a pleasant meal, we part ways, and about five miles outside of town, a blinding snowstorm hits. I can see the paint at the side of the road, so I use that as my guide and my odometer to check my progress and proceed very, very slowly towards home. Just before my turnoff, to my great relief, the snow eases up and I am able to go a bit faster up the gravel road. I round a bend and find a HERD of ELK in the road. Knowing that an elk would total my car (and possibly seriously harm me), there's nothing to do but slam on my brakes. I'm not going very fast, but the fresh snow and my heavy foot send me right into a ditch. One of the elk makes eye contact with me through my windshield, then seems to shake its head before scampering off. Jerk.

I have supplies for just this sort of situation in my trunk: shovel, chains, cat litter for traction, flashlight, etc. I quickly discover that my front tire is resting against a small boulder in such a way that there will be NO traction from my front-wheel-drive car this night. Walking is not an option - it's now after 10 p.m., there are snow drifts obscuring the road, I'm alone, and I'm at least five miles away from either my home or the main road. So I switch to my OTHER supplies: fresh pair of wool socks, gloves, and hat, and a sleeping bag. It's cold enough to snow but not SUPER cold out, so I climb into the car and crank the heat for a few minutes while I get dry and get settled in a reclined passenger seat. I turn off the car to preserve gas and batteries in case it gets colder later in the night, estimate how long it will be before my friends come back from Missoula, and set a mental alarm to wake up then so I can turn on my emergency flashers. Having done a fair amount of tent camping and camping alone, I'm not particularly bothered by being in near the woods like that. I doze off, wake up as planned, and literally three minutes after I turn on my flashers, my friend pulls up. I shuck the sleeping bag, lock up my car, and hitch a ride home, no worse for the experience.

In Conclusion

Having the right supplies - and knowing what the most sensible thing to do is - can make all the difference. Put yourself at risk by underestimating how weather (and serious alcohol-related dehydration) can impact you, and you will be lucky to escape with your fingers, toes, or even life intact. Do something like hiking five miles in the dark, through snow, when the road is hard to follow and you may not make it to your destination, but that might be a better alternative than sitting around in the cold and dark if you can't get dry and have nothing to keep you warm on a freezing night. Some awareness of your surroundings and your own limitations is helpful, but thinking ahead so that you have what you need to cover multiple contingencies can be invaluable.

Final thing; I wasn't afraid during the event. I was in uniform and thought that I had to stop; honor of the uniform thing. Once there, I wasn't thinking very much, just doing what I could and what was necessary. I nearly came apart while washing my hands. The reaction set in and my wife had to finish the drive for us. I was shaking like a leaf in a tornado. Amazing how the body reacts to stress.

The body is a miraculous thing. Your body allowed you to face something as horrifying as that man's injuries without losing it on the spot, giving you the chance to help save his life. It allowed you to override your natural instinct to flee from a speeding car heading in your direction. And it got you past the scene of the accident and down the road until it was safe for you to have a little mini-breakdown. That's truly remarkable. And it's such a wonderful thing that you were able to help that man!

When I was a lifeguard, the post-rescue adrenaline was something we actually had a plan for. After you made a rescue that involved paramedics (so more than just scooping some kid out of the deep end), you were asked to take about 10 minutes to fill out a report where you basically dumped every impression you had onto a piece of paper. Then you were told to go swim 32 laps (that's a mile). It channeled the nervous energy, gave you endorphins to push you past the adrenaline rush and subsequent crash, and got you out of your head enough to feel pretty normal - if a little worn out - before they would let you go home. It really was quite effective!

Like Capt Bart, I have way too many 'oh boy here it comes' memories, but I'll share this one with you.

In the 80s, I was in the Army, stationed in Germany. After being there for a few months, I really enjoyed going around 'on the economy' and just soaking up the German culture. Most places were very pro-American in those days, but a few places were not. One saturday I came back to the base (from an evening of drinking and chasing frauleins) and there was a huge anti-American protest going on, because of nuclear weapons on Navy ships or something. They had the gates to the base closed, a line of German riot cops mixed with a line of military police, squaring off over some barricades where about a thousand angry protesters were jumping up and down and shouting.

Naturally, I wandered up on the wrong side of that big mob of people, and as more protesters arrived I found myself in the middle of the crowd. I was in civilian clothes, and I had a wool watch cap on my head, which covered up most of my crew cut hair. I sobered up *really* fast, I tell you. Realizing I wasn't going to get out of the crowd the way I came, I worked my way towards the barricades. I was jumping up and down and chanting 'No nukes!', waving my clenched fists and generally trying to act like the folks around me.

I got up to the front row and stood there jumping up and down shouting the slogans until I made eye contact with one of the American MPs. In the middle of my jumping and chanting, I said "Hey! I'm an American!". I had to say it a couple of times until it sank into his brain, then he did a double take.

"What the hell are you doing over there?" he yelled at me.

"Wetting my pants!" I yelled back. "Can you get me inside?" (All of this while jumping up and down and more of the 'Raus Americans' stuff...)

He waved at a couple of the cops closest to us, then pointed at me. I reached across the barricade, and they grabbed both my arms to haul me over. The protesters thought the cops were arresting me, so they grabbed my legs! Then they had a tug of war with me in the middle, until finally my boots came off (and my pants were halfway down my legs) and the cops yanked me inside their lines.

I learned several things that day - pay attention to the locals (it seems everyone knew about the protest except me), dress like the natives, and no matter what happens you have to keep calm. I also bought a better belt, after that...

Like Capt Bart, I have way too many 'oh boy here it comes' memories, but I'll share this one with you.

In the 80s, I was in the Army, stationed in Germany. After being there for a few months, I really enjoyed going around 'on the economy' and just soaking up the German culture. Most places were very pro-American in those days, but a few places were not. One saturday I came back to the base (from an evening of drinking and chasing frauleins) and there was a huge anti-American protest going on, because of nuclear weapons on Navy ships or something. They had the gates to the base closed, a line of German riot cops mixed with a line of military police, squaring off over some barricades where about a thousand angry protesters were jumping up and down and shouting.

Naturally, I wandered up on the wrong side of that big mob of people, and as more protesters arrived I found myself in the middle of the crowd. I was in civilian clothes, and I had a wool watch cap on my head, which covered up most of my crew cut hair. I sobered up *really* fast, I tell you. Realizing I wasn't going to get out of the crowd the way I came, I worked my way towards the barricades. I was jumping up and down and chanting 'No nukes!', waving my clenched fists and generally trying to act like the folks around me.

I got up to the front row and stood there jumping up and down shouting the slogans until I made eye contact with one of the American MPs. In the middle of my jumping and chanting, I said "Hey! I'm an American!". I had to say it a couple of times until it sank into his brain, then he did a double take.

"What the hell are you doing over there?" he yelled at me.

"Wetting my pants!" I yelled back. "Can you get me inside?" (All of this while jumping up and down and more of the 'Raus Americans' stuff...)

He waved at a couple of the cops closest to us, then pointed at me. I reached across the barricade, and they grabbed both my arms to haul me over. The protesters thought the cops were arresting me, so they grabbed my legs! Then they had a tug of war with me in the middle, until finally my boots came off (and my pants were halfway down my legs) and the cops yanked me inside their lines.

I learned several things that day - pay attention to the locals (it seems everyone knew about the protest except me), dress like the natives, and no matter what happens you have to keep calm. I also bought a better belt, after that...

Great SHTF crowd story SS! Very smart to just play along.....

Had a similar experience in downtown SF in the 90's when cops showed up during a protest and everyone stampeded when the cops set chase! I was not involved in the protest just happened to be walking by after leaving a club somewhere nearby.

It all happened so fast. I saw a girl fall down near me, waded out into the flood literally running by and quickly dragged her up and to the side so she wouldn't get trampled. Unfortunately, we were at a choke point in the flow so I blocked her with my body against a round marquee as hordes of people streamed past banging into my back and legs nearly taking me off my feet....truly every man for himself!

After the rush I asked her if she was okay, the girl was shaken up but nothing lose lost or broken so I just told her to take care and continued on my way with a few contusions...

Easy to see how people can die in these stampedes at sporting events, protests, etc.

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

In Conclusion

Having the right supplies - and knowing what the most sensible thing to do is - can make all the difference. Put yourself at risk by underestimating how weather (and serious alcohol-related dehydration) can impact you, and you will be lucky to escape with your fingers, toes, or even life intact. Do something like hiking five miles in the dark, through snow, when the road is hard to follow and you may not make it to your destination, but that might be a better alternative than sitting around in the cold and dark if you can't get dry and have nothing to keep you warm on a freezing night. Some awareness of your surroundings and your own limitations is helpful, but thinking ahead so that you have what you need to cover multiple contingencies can be invaluable.

Great story OC! I don't have the cars set up yet but will do that when I get back from Russia...

Second near-death experience I had regarding cold was on a business trip to Finland. Not really an SHTF situ but relevant info on Hypothermia..

In any case, the client "dared" me to go ice-swimming with him, very common habit for the Finns in winter. I'm Skandinavian decent myself, have a high tolerance for the cold and a bit of a thrill-seeker anyway....probably surprised him when I agreed.

So, it's February in Finland probably well below freezing and we go to a facility out in the forest near a lake. We put on our swim shorts in the changing room and head out for the dock. The deal is you go into the lake through a hole in the ice, soak yourself for a few minutes then head to a "smoke sauna" quickly to heat back up. They burn wood over rocks to heat the thing where you sit for about 15 minutes and nearly die of smoke inhalation, then you repeat the cycle again and again. There were a lot of Finns there including women so I figure NBD for a Viking like me. The Finns are really hardy folk I'll tell you.

Okey dokey, we take a few pics and I climb down the ladder from the dock into the clearing in the ice. Actually, your body can only sense cold to a certain point, below let's say 40 degrees F it all feels the same no matter how cold. Thus, getting into that sub-zero water was actually not much of a shock, I was very surprised! However, you just don't plunge your head in and keep it above the water. I even went for a brief swim just a few minutes as an act of bravado (mistake...big mistake)

I climb out. I'm in good physical shape and feel fine, so far so good. the outside air feels positively warm after the lake, it's really a neat sensation. I have on just my swimming suit and a towel. Now my friend goes in for a few minutes and then we head into the smoke sauna were you can only see your feet and the feet of others, literally like being inside a building on fire.....fine..

Next thing I know the Finns are dragging me up off the floor and into the dressing room to lay me out on the bench....my client is in a panic! Everything seems very dark but I'm not scared at all, just at peace. I clap him on the leg and tell him I'll be fine, try to make some jokes, but just way too weak to sit up. I tell you I'm sure this is what people experience when they die, everything getting dim/dark and your field of vision narrowing, perhaps the same feeling of peace.

In any case, I reflect that I've had a very good run in Life, have kids that I always wanted, and that dying this way is painless and pleasant. BUT in order to go to Valhalla I need to die on my feet LOL! I try to stand up but just too feeble. My client is shitting cinder blocks which I find amusing.

So next in come the Valkyries to carry off the wounded warrior to Valhalla! Just like a movie 3 blonde young female paramedics and a cute red head one arrive on the scene and load me up on stretcher into the meat wagon, off we go to hospital in downtown Helsinki

(you probably don't care about the Valkyrie part but I though the guys reading might, LOL!)

It was such a cliché it was almost comical. On the way the girls hooked me up, jabbed an IV into me and few injections. They seemed pretty concerned....so I asked them when we would arrive in Valhalla, and if they could give me their phone numbers. Everyone laughed and that broke the tension. I was being serious though....lol.

So, at the hospital the doctors had me on an EKG, etc., watched me for an hour then cut me loose. My client arrived with my clothes still a bit rattled but we had dinner and a few brews and a good laugh. We still joke about the day he tried to kill the salesman.

Many lessons learned obviously, but never underestimate the cold, or over-estimate your tolerance for it.... No one at the hospital really explained what happened but I figure my core temp dropped below the critical point because I stayed in the water too long and waited too long to get in the smoke sauna...had an empty stomach too.

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

Good LORD, we have definitely been keeping the Darwin Award committee busy, haven't we? All the 'funny fall' videos stopped being quite so funny for me two years ago next week. That's when I slipped from on top of a ladder while using a chain saw. Hanging by my left hand, running chain saw in my right. I managed to get the saw shut down and thrown away before I fell. Actually, I think throwing the saw was what triggered the fall. When I opened my right hand (saw) the left opened a little as well. This 'sympathetic' reaction has caused folks to accidentally shoot so be aware of it. Anyway the fall resulted in a shattered heel - I'll be on a cane the rest of my life. Darwin Award Category - Honorable Mention.

This is a great thread, we can learn from others mistakes. Thank you all for sharing.

Good LORD, we have definitely been keeping the Darwin Award committee busy, haven't we? All the 'funny fall' videos stopped being quite so funny for me two years ago next week. That's when I slipped from on top of a ladder while using a chain saw. Hanging by my left hand, running chain saw in my right. I managed to get the saw shut down and thrown away before I fell. Actually, I think throwing the saw was what triggered the fall. When I opened my right hand (saw) the left opened a little as well. This 'sympathetic' reaction has caused folks to accidentally shoot so be aware of it. Anyway the fall resulted in a shattered heel - I'll be on a cane the rest of my life. Darwin Award Category - Honorable Mention.

This is a great thread, we can learn from others mistakes. Thank you all for sharing.

OUCH! Yes juggling chainsaws atop a ladder is for professionals only....speaking of such I won't go into my roof top circus balancing act in Columbus GA trying to paint a very steep metal roof from the top down with a roller on a 25 ft pole...stood on a homemade platform about 1.5 ft square and no rope attaching me to anything...Darwin can you hear me, LOL!

Why are we too proud or cheap just to pay a professional team....egad!

Wolfe

PS: Hope you can drop that cane some day, that's seriously no buenos....

Edited by Dangerwolfe

Okay, this may be a bit personal, so don't answer part 1 if you'd rather not.

1st question- When in the past have you experienced a SHTF situation?

2nd question- How did you deal with it and what helped you get through it?

3rd question- What did you learn from it?

1)1980,miami,fl riots

2)Early on in my childhood country,from food shortages to major hurricanes,to communism goverment,US

Army survival training,and a clean living

3)Stay away from trouble,don`t cause trouble,learn as much as possible about everything,help your fellow

man,it always comes back to you,and don`t worry about things that are out of your control.

Edited by readytogo1955