Sign in to follow this  
Ranger

Surviving cold wether

Surviving cold wether may be easyer than u think, it is more about your knowledge than your gear!

Windy and cold;

I have been sleeping in a tent in -40f and had a good time training as a ranger, but i have as well got hypotermia in above freesing temperatures!

If we do have a look at the human body there are parts of it more important to cover than others; Your head is the place u lose most heat, so be shure to cover head and neck very good. Wind proof gear is imporant so u dont loose heat due to wind blowing trough your clothes (moore on windproofing a little later). Then have a look at your hands and feet, (a soldier with warm and dry feet is a happy soldier)! Good boots and wool socks are extreemly important, and a pair of good gloves are also a necessity.

If u happen to be inn an situasion vere your clothes is not up to the wether then u can windproof it with newspaper! Place the sheets innside your clothes and it will windproof and insulate it!

In my next post i will have a look at wet and cold wether

Ranger

Edited by Ranger

i have a little experience with this....

I used to work for Schwan's food, in the warehouse freezers at night restocking the trucks. THese freezers are kept at a steady -40F.

Moving in and out of the freezer would cuase the soles of my boots to gather condensation and when walking back in, my soles would stick to the floor from the freezing condensation. after bout 30min my nose , eyes, all my beard, covered in ice. I wear glasses, so coming out of the freezer, the condensation would instantly turn to ice. Dressing up for this job, we had full insulated coveralls, and dressed in several thinner layers under it. Hands... we liked wearing normal brown cotton work gloves against the skin, and a 2nd pair over those with rubberized grips.

But everything at that temperature gets stiff and somewhat brittle.

Ive only had to deal with 2 real messy ICE storms in my life. But at that age it was more fun than anything else.

Edited by NavyVet_77

Alot of good advice so far. All I would add is to keep your blood circulating, especially your hand and feet. I used to do door-to-door sales in Fargo ND. I started the job in January, and even though I only lasted a couple months, I learned that a person can stay warm in sub zero temps with only a couple layers, while wearing dress shoes. The best way I found was to tap your toes and/or fingers against something to get the blood moving.

Another thing I've tried that seems to help is taking fish oil pills, krill oil, or something similar. (it gives you gas but it works). Even now, working construction in the winter, I am usually alot more comfortable working outside than most of my co-workers.

I worked years ago in a beef packing factory, we had a blast freezer, -30 degrees when the doors were shut the fans kicked in, 60 mph winds down from ceiling would freeze 10lb boxes of meat in minutes. Had a guy go in and the door shut on him he was unable to get the door open due to icing on inner handle as no one ever closed themselves in was in for less than 5 mins. In full carhart overalls including lined hood, lined gloves, insulated boots,and a ski mask had 2nd degree frost bite on nose, fingers and ears. Real true cold without shelter is a serious b-I-t-c-h!

Cold and Wet;

First thing when it comes to staying alive in a cold and vet environment is; DO NOT GET WET!

Geting wet in a cold environment vill at the beginning only make u feel miserable and cold, but soon your wet clothes are sucking the warmth out of your body and depending of how fit and nurished u are the hypotermia wil start sneeking up on u!

Your guard is falling and u concentrate more and more on your misery and less on the suroundigs, u start to make mistakes. This will in the end get u killed one way ore the other!

Important to keep mooving so your body is warm enogh to stay alive and finding some cover fore the wether. Dry your clothes if posible, try to make a sleeping bag or some sort of "nest" when your clothes are drying.

Dry gras, old newspapers and small pine branches wil do just fine, but use your fantasie and most important do not loose hope!

If u are geting wet and cold during a little trip in the nearby forest walking your dog, u just go home, take a hot shower and getting innto some dry clothes. Problem solved.

Not so easy if u have no place to go and making a fire may expose u and get u killed....

I will have a look at clothes and gear fore cold and wet weather in a later post, so fore now we asume that u just have the clothes you normaly wer.

If u are walking throu an hostil environment, do not only look fore problems, allso keep in mind shelter!

A good shelter is a place that keeps u dry and out of the wind, but at the same time is not an obvius shelter fore others!

Allso look out fore something u can use fore a raincover if u have to walk, an old tarp u can cut to a poncho, an garbage bag ore whattever that ceeps the rain and wind out.

Ranger

Edited by Ranger

I am very sorry if any military "vet" take offence of my misspellings or any other persons out there dooing a "wet job".B)

By the way; i left scool 23 years ago here in Norway and have hardly been writing anything in english sinse then.....

Edited by Ranger

hi all

layers,so when walking , can be taken off,when sitting , put on.eating a little snack,possibly every 20 minutes or so.putting on a poncho,then sitting over a lit candle,to name a few.navy i worked for swans , part time.i helped build the freezer in monticello in,i also helped stocked trucks.my brother ran routes,and built routes.i remember the ice building up on the shoes. it was harder in the hot part of summer.did u know

ron v. who became one of the big bosses?