Sign in to follow this  
razorblade

first thing you would buy for a bug out bag

First thing i focused on was a 72hour pak for both myself and wife.

Not one of those pre-made weird things u find on most prep-gear sites. SOmething of this nature really requires a customized touch.

Edited by NavyVet_77

The bag. After that something to do with water. Either a water bottle or filter. Guns and knifes are no good if dehydration starts creeping in on hour 12.

right, water > shelter > food

but a good knife is also very useful

Edited by razorblade

Depends on where you are living. If it is Alaska in winter and you have nothing you won't live long enough to die of thirst!

But in general, the first thing I had, even before the bag, was a solid fixed blade knife. Throw some 550 cord and a metal canteen with that and you have a good start. Add some shelter (space blanket/tarp) and a way to make fire and that is a decent start on a get home or bug out bag. Add maps and compass, some sort of hat (sun and cold protection) and that's a start. It is hard to select 'THE FIRST THING' because there a lot of little things that make really good sense. Still, first, a solid knife.

I never have had to buy a knife. My Dad gave me my first on when I was 8 and I've never been without one since so my first purchase would be some sort of device or group of devices to provide safe water. Then it would be a multitool. In a bind I can make cord and traps to catch food so I guess the next thing would be some sort of protection from the elements. Food isn't a big priority for me actually. I have fasted for 14 days three times so I KNOW that you don't starve to death very quickly. People are TOUGH animals! We aren't very fast runners, our nails are short and dull, our skin is thin and our hair not much protection from the elements. The fact is though that a man can literally run a horse down on foot, kill any large animal known with little more than a sharp stick and has successfully lives and survived in every environment on Earth from the Arctic to the Sahara, the swamps to the Himalayas and Andes mountains. We are TOUGH and adaptable and need a lot less than most people realize to get by.

My first item might just be a book of philosophy/The Bible/Book of Mormon/Koran... Feed the soul, the body really doesn't need all that much help if you have knowledge and the ability to calm yourself and be at peace.

sorry folks I don't get it I already have knives so why would I need more I need something that trumps a

knife.

I think here in Texas you get a pocket knife as a teething toy I may be pushing it but as I remember

I got my first knife when i was 6 cut myself that day and learned not to do what I did then.

Back in those days a lock back knife was not common these were Jack knifes.

Ditto snake. I've always got a pocket knife.

1st. Water purification means.

1 1/2. A means of having fire.

2nd backpackers stove of some kind.

3rd. Dehydrated food of some kind.

I know, the first! And that's how I'd do it or done it.

JMO

dr

OK, guys, I still have the tiny, 1/4 inch, folder I got when I was three. That was before nanny state 'protected' everybody from everything. Now you probably can't even make the thing. Momma got that one for me. I think my first 'real' knife was the cub scout knife I got the year before I joined the scouts or maybe it was the one my dad gave me, a two bladed whittler. Long enough ago I just don't remember. The question was, IIRC, first thing for a BOB. I've always had a knife but I buy knives that fit my needs or wants. I think a Swiss Army is needed for EDC but I also think a decent fixed blade is needed for the BOB.

Capt, I'm generally never without my pocket knife. A clipon Benchmade griptilian or a 560 Browning. True a survival knife is important but I'd rather have a means of obtaining drinking water first. Yes I do have a Kabar that was a latter purchase.

Well...the OP said "What's the first thing you'd buy for a BOB?", not "What's the first thing you'd buy for a BOB, after counting all the stuff you already have."

Granted he didn't explain anything, but it sounded like a question from a new prepper who is planning on building a bug out bag. If so then he has:

a Bag

and wants to know what he ought to buy next.

Well...the OP said "What's the first thing you'd buy for a BOB?", not "What's the first thing you'd buy for a BOB, after counting all the stuff you already have."

Granted he didn't explain anything, but it sounded like a question from a new prepper who is planning on building a bug out bag. If so then he has:

a Bag

and wants to know what he ought to buy next.

Ya, know, when I'm trying to be annoyingly PRECISE, it really is annoying to have someone OUT PRECISE me!:P

Spot on, SC.

Well, there was little chance of finding any real agreement on this one, so Ill try to condense what I think we're saying here, first we agree ou need the &$%# bag, then based on where you are and what you all ready have fix the first hole in the S.O.P. ( standard operating procedure ) water, shelter, food they are in this order because averaging all variables that is the order in which they will kill you. As I see it he is asking for the first thing to add to a BOB which would include the BASICS a knife, water bottle, etc....so I see the answer as too complex to answer without spending a week combing thru your life, your skills, home,office,commute, get to know your family, check your bug out objectives.....etc hell I bet ain't one person in here that is 100% satisfied with their BOB, And I'll bet that if any of us swapped BOBs that we wouldn't be happy until we changed it back to what we had before