Sign in to follow this  
backcountrybill

scary situation

First let me say that i am not up on California laws. At 430 in the morning i would have called 911 and had the family covered from an intrusion. I pay my taxes and the police can clear my property of anyone that is trespassing. My only concern is my families welfare. Going into an area inside or outside the house to clear the space of unwanted people is a great way to yourself in trouble quick.

I would also remove any stickers from you car that has anything to do with guns/hunting/second amendment rights. I have seen several news reports that someone cuts off another driver. The offended driver calls tha police and because of a sticker in the back window he tells the police that the driver brandished a gun. The stuff we put on our cars can be a treasure trove of info for the wrong people.

Just a quick note, I think you did great right up to the point you went outside. I would want to But I would have stayed in the house just for the cover of the house. If it was a gang thing or more than one trying to brake into your house you would have exposed yourself to a gun battle. AS you did I would be in a good place to defend the house and let the law deal with what's outside.

thanks for the posts gents, after some time to review my course of action, i have determined that while highly unlikely that it was an ambush, i will likely not exit my house if it were to happen again. here is my thought process behind this. i spend hundreds if not thousands of hours of time preparing for unlikely scenarios and it is counter productive, and completely contradictory with my preps to knowingly and willingly put myself in harms way (even though at the time, i felt that it was little danger. but there was no way for me to really make that assessment with my limited view). we do live in a city and while we are patrolled by a sheriffs dept stationed 20 minutes away, patrol is always present and therefore response time would be minimal. additionally, while i do have some significant medical training, this guy was clearly unconscious, and bleeding from the head and there was little i could have done for him. the Fire dept is literally 3 blocks away. upon dialing 911, PD was on scene in about 2 minutes and they called fire which was on scene about 5 minutes later. next time, i will cover the door, make sure everything is lit up and stay put. oh and we have a surveillance system on order which i will be installing shortly.

Amazon and costco both have 4 camera set ups with recorder for less than $500. we will be wiring this up to our home network so it can be viewed from any of our tv's or computers in the house. i also understand that it can be viewed remotely from the internet via computer or PDA. all of the cameras have night vision as well. for the price, it pretty much covers all our bases. i think the hard part will be the placement of the cameras around the property.