Sign in to follow this  
readytogo1955

Bugging out and the human race.

Have you ever been camping? Have you notice others camping near you? Have they or you tried to establish some form of friendship with your fellow campers? Or you rather hit the woods by yourself?

You see we humans are not design to be alone, it takes a rare mentality to be alone, specially under heavy stress, we need that certain human quality of unity, group, so are you bugging out alone, large

family and friends, maybe you have made plans with your neighbors, as a group, to hit the road to a point in the map, some pre arrange place.

You will never be alone, others will follow, and everybody will want to know the what, where, how of your situation, some will want to join you or group, for the good of all, and some will act as predators,

you can count on that for sure.

We all know that small and big compounds are been build all over the countryside, and we also know that groups of people are training to take over, so are you ready to bug out alone, or a group, or not at all.

Ill agree in with the statment that there is a subconscience need to be with other people.

Safety in numbers and all that.... but maybe not. Desperate people do desperate things. you cant trust anyone, for anything, regardless of how much you WANT to be able to trust someone. You simply cant allow your guard down. Id strongly suggest avoiding ANY new additions and avoid others within the first 2 weeks. After 2 weeks it MIGHT be up for debate. maybe. Personally ive learned to trust my Gut feeling about people. If I dont get a good vibe in the first 30sec or less of a conversation, its definately a no go.

Im comortable on my own. i left home at 19, through the Navy, went to college...and eventually got married. being apart from my wife suks, her presents is part of my Zen. But i haven't forgotten anything that came before her. And she knows me well enough, and has a good sense of 'Situational Awareness' She'll understand exactly what I mean and how to back me up, if i tell someone to f* off.

FOr me, lay-low and be self-sufficient, I dont need other people (excep my wife). If for some reason I find myself in a group, itll only be for 1 of 2 reasons. 1. SOmeone came to ME with a genuine/sincere cry for help (only after at least 2 weeks remeber) or 2. I was in a dire situation and required assistance.

WHat do I call a dire situation? Id be looking at death

Whether you go with a group or just one or two companions (like NavyVet & his wife) will be best decided BEFORE anything goes down. You will likely be better able to trust the people you're with - and will be able to cultivate the right skill sets, tools, etc. - if it's a group that you recruit thoughtfully over time. And having a group certainly does increase your ability to provide defense, farm the land, hunt, etc. over the long haul. I can't imagine prepping for only myself for TEOTWAWKI; I could handle being alone for a few months if we're talking some disruption with a likelihood of a certain amount of civilization quickly returning. But in circumstances where things are going to be really tough for years into the foreseeable future, and where basically my entire family and my friends are dead/lost to me, I think the likelihood of my being able to survive on my own (even if well-equipped) would be slim, and the isolation would wear me down. So yes, I plan for my immediate family and will eventually find a way to allow for extended family or others who would join my group.

NavyVet_77 makes a good point about not jumping in and committing to anything with people you meet immediately after SHTF, especially if you're the one with the skills and supplies. Odds are, the people who happen to be in closest proximity to you when X happens wouldn't be the people you'd pick if you were building a prepping community on your own. You could wind up being the sole provider for a group of people who are incapable of or unwilling to help/provide for/take care of themselves, increasing your overall stress, depleting your supplies, and decreasing your chance for long-term survival. Plus, as he points out, the consequences for inviting in the wrong person or people could be dire.

Once you are in a more stable situation, when your BOL/BIL is set up and functioning as you need it to, after you've taken time to assess just what is going on and what the likely dangers and needs will be, THEN you can make educated decisions about whether your group needs to be bigger and what criteria you will use to determine who is allowed to join. Only people with supplies of their own? Only those with X skills or experience? Only single people? Only families with children over/under certain ages? etc. And following your gut is not a bad strategy there, either. If you get that "something's hinky" feeling, or don't feel comfortable around someone, it's better to send them packing than to later be sent packing (or worse) yourself.

Edited by oregonchick
typo

"When NOT IF "

TSHTF many choises will be made that determin your survival,a group is the best answer.Those who are still alive will need to add people with skills!!

Are you worth the risk to be in the group?

Do you know anyone in the group?

Do you have any skills to offer that will help the group?

Are you in the group already and are helping to make the desision?

For me If and when I find myself alone(with out my wife) I will be mobel and searching for Daughters and there BOL.

Me and mine have plan A,B,and C...

Plan D.....is scarry....

JMO

Yeah, right now its just my cat and I in my group lols. Hopefully when SHTF I'll happen upon a decent group.

Don't trust the cat!! You never know what they are thinking. Talk about keeping a straight face.

Guest survival101

Wow, Ready. That's a leading question. Okay. Yes. I am. Ready. to do one or more of those things. Maybe all of them. Change and flexibility is key to the survival of man and mankind. or manunkind.

At the risk of people read to much in to this I am aiming towards a green beret style setup, small group with high specialization individually but each member is proficient in all the others specialties so that the group does not loss the ability to stay on mission from the loss of one or more members and also the berets are a awesome force on their own but their great strength is as a force multiplier meaning that they are able through their specialization and cross training to "produce" a balanced force quickly and quietly from a small group of general population. In a civilian setup you would have about the same areas of knowledge. Medical, weapons and tactics, communication and electrical, add hunting, horticulture, animal husbandry, the list goes on but be sure that everyone learns constantly how to do the job of as many others as possible, I have 5 kids and right now I have all the areas alone that is where Ive start to get them to learn, then maybe I'll think about looking for other, or at least be ready for others if TSHTF or worse.

Maybe what I was trying to point out was that,like some of you have said,is better to plan and somewhat practice a moved,like going camping with your group,going shooting same where,have some kind of equipment

check,etc,that way,not only is relaxing,but is a go way to see what works and don`t,and I know very well that

trusting humans,specially in a emergency situation,is not easy.

Ready, good thread.

I make friends easily. When shtf then i am prepared to move my family to a greater community. I believe that we are no better than the society we are a part of. When the time comes we are going to need help from others. The sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.