Sign in to follow this  
Rampart

Soap-Making

Hey y'all! One thing I've noticed, or haven't noticed rather, is that there is no article on soap-making... references sure, namely in the "Looking To Our Past" series, but no true in-depth articles. Given the simplicity of soap-making, and its inherent value in a post-SHTF/TEOTWAWKI scenario, I personally think this would be a great article to have.

If there's one thing I can tell you after working for a couple years in a boutique-quality soap factory while in high school, it's how simple it is to produce an extremely high-quality "gourmet" bar of soap with very little effort exerted. All it takes is a little know-how, a well-constructed soap rack and a decent recipe, and you're in business.

What do y'all think?

Rampart, first, welcome to the forum. I agree with the soap making as an essential skill and a highly valuable commodity and maybe the SC team can shed some more light on this, but I posted available resources to making soap as a "safe" way of getting the info out there. I truly trust the actual prepping community to realize the inherent dangers in all we do but I also know how posting some information can lead to someone trying it, taking a short cut and then an ambulance chasing powder puff will haul you into court because they used too much lye and now have a scar.

I try to give a more educational reference for activities I recommend, as I am usually way outside osha standards in my practices. I know it's probably not the best practice, but it has worked for me. I just hope I never get complacent on them. Just my opinion.

Edited by Regulator5

the foxfire book the first one the rest are redundant

foxfire 1st book of the series soap making and butchering other subjects

here is a basic list of books some you can find used at garage sales goodwill and 2nd hand stores.

there are thousands of books there in a place called a library I know this, these are a few of

what I have in my home collection for there compressed knowledge

back to basics

butchering processing and preservation of meat

cookbooks older ones new ones rely on canned / premade ingredients

hints from Heloise

home remedies

older Ball blue book of canning

Merck manual

natural health secrets encyclopedia

nurses pocket drug guide

one book/one caliber {complete reloading manual for one specific caliber}

putting food by

time life basic electrical wiring

time life pests and diseases {gardening manual}

where there is no doctor

where there is no dentist

Snake,

I agree that the Foxfire books are good. I think the first 5 are decent enough to have. After that it seems to be a lot of stories and folklore (perhaps valuable but there is only so much time) have some good stuff in them.

Book 5 has metal work and gun smith/gunpowder (Black Powder) in it. The first is best and fullest, agree. I found each of the next 4 to have something worth the book contained within it but after Book 5, I just didn't think it was worth the price.

Anyone who has the full set, or a volume after 5, that you think is worth the price, feel free to disagree with me.

I've seen or own quite a few of the books you mention. No disagreements in your list.