Sign in to follow this  
TheDefaultHuman

Lets get to the REAL question.

How to get fuel without money.....

Grow it? Algae, livestock, anything else?

Those Mcdonalds grease bins?

How bout horse crap or water or any of those other things?

Or solar power?

Work with me guys, lets figure this one out.

Go for efficiency, oil is just simple, it will crash and alternatives are easier anyways if you can dish out the cash, but I just want to hear your thoughts....?

Home made bio diesel recipe

http://www.ehow.com/how_5273169_make-homemade-bio-diesel.html

I've seen an easier and faster way to do it, but it'll eventually eat up your engine. Works to get you out of a bad situation though..... If you have a diesel. Also needs to be one of the older diesels without all of the emission controls that they have now.

I had a better thought. From time to time, the military auctions off old vehicles. HUMVEE's will run on plain old cooking oil from what I've heard.

Edited by Hossfly

Calculate Battery Life:

(Battery mAh) / (Current of Load) = Hours of Life

Example:

9volt battery @ 500mAh with a 10mA load = 500mA/10mA = 50hours

60watt light bulb (120volts * 500mA = 60Watts) AND 500mA = .5 Amp

12volt (car battery) @ 600Amps with a 500mA (lightbulb) load = 1200 hours

When adding lightbulbs, simply divide the 'life hours' by the number of bulbs.

Edited by NavyVet_77

Calculate Battery Life:

(Battery mAh) / (Current of Load) = Hours of Life

Example:

9volt battery @ 500mAh with a 10mA load = 500mA/10mA = 50hours

60watt light bulb (120volts/500mA = 60Watts) AND 500mA = .5 Amp

12volt (car battery) @ 600Amps with a 500mA (lightbulb) load = 1200 hours

When adding lightbulbs, simply divide the 'life hours' by the number of bulbs.

Great information, straight to the point, thanks.

When at all possible, connect your load directly to the battery rather than using a Inverter/converter.

Any battery is DC current, using an AC Inverter, you LOSE power during the conversion from DC to AC (and ViceVersa)

WHen talking Solar, you need to first realize how much power you want to be able to store.

Look at your normal monthly electric bill. How many 'Kilowatt Hours' you use?

Kilowatt Hours (Kwh) = (Total Watts) * (Hours of Use)

1 Kwh = 1000watts * 1 hour, or 500watts*2hours, and so on.

If your electric bill says u used 400Kwh last month, then thats what you base your Storage Battery Array on. but you dont have to store that much power, its just a guide to show you how much you use on a daily basis.

Solar batteries are called 'Deep Cycle' Lead acid. THey are not the same as car batteries, the Lead components inside are different, allowing a deeper discharge over a longer period of time, where as a car battery is designed to provide 1 huge electric Jolt to shock your car to life every time it starts and is then recharged by the alternator. Solar batteries commonly come in 24volt and 12volt types.

1000watts for 1 hour (1 Kwh) = 24volt battery * 42Ah (allowing a little tolerence)

ONE 24volt deep cycle battery essentially giving you 1Kwh stored. But last month you used 400Kwh.You can probably do the math from here. http://www.spheralsolar.com/products/40-Watt-Do-It-Yourself-Solar-Power-Kit.html

Edited by NavyVet_77

I am not in to the science of it but the main focus I have is multi source. 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I am looking at Bio-digester, Gassification unit, Solar power, and Bio-diesel. Want to have be able to not have to rely on any one exclusively. If possible I would like to have a local Natural Gas on the property to run generators and cooking.

Now that that is put out I would like to minimize the dependance on energy. In a shit hits the fan use Horses and pack mules or alpacas.

I am not in to the science of it but the main focus I have is multi source. 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I am looking at Bio-digester, Gassification unit, Solar power, and Bio-diesel. Want to have be able to not have to rely on any one exclusively. If possible I would like to have a local Natural Gas on the property to run generators and cooking.

Now that that is put out I would like to minimize the dependance on energy. In a shit hits the fan use Horses and pack mules or alpacas.

If you have a mediocre understanding of the science behind what you are trying to achieve, Your chances for success will be much greater. Being able to follow written instructions is good, but there is always room for failure. Understanding the science allows you to figure out what went wrong and to become successful.

Edited by NavyVet_77

once and for all

It cannot be done there are no replacements for fossil fuel you prepay for all the power

figure up your electric bill multiply it times 12 then x years of use now put that same

amount in stock market account and see what happens.

batteries go bad in 4 to 7 years cable ends wiring panels breakers / junction boxes, wire insulation.

the good batteries cost 250 bucks each

A true wind mill like the dutch with a generator these tower type takes special cranes and crews

to install.

the algae that it would take every day and converted would be staggering and how much deep fryer

grease do you think we make a day it is only plentiful because few are using it.

we are using 96% of everything we make each day there is very little excess should a hiccup in the

system occur a drought in the supply chain could ripple out and create some interesting problems.

using wind solar water and nuclear power we still fall short if every home has solar panels the amount

of trashed solar panels hitting the dump in 20 years would be staggering.

A dairy farm set up to use methane from cow manure still has to buy power it only heats the barns to

barley 40 -45 degrees the infrastructure required to run a huge plant like ford or GM would require more

land than the factory so prices would increase for one reason or another and wind generators cost

a azz load of money and do not last forever.

we are using water power /dams and nuclear and that is not enough we are still using more power today

than yesterday and will continue until something snaps.

coal does not jump in the loader it takes people with vehicles to go to work and special vehicles at work

and trucks to take it to the power plant and trucks to haul away the ash and sulfur to land fills

not to mention the portapotties and food snacks and uniform suppliers repair and engineers.

every day and now we need security and fences dogs etc it is never ending.

It takes fuel to transport fuel and you need fuel to go to the station to get it and then get back.

the man who drives the truck has to go to and from work and his wife and the dispatcher and the

janitor and on and on and on.

we will run out we will not run out in the normal sense the fact it will take so much to move it and

regional problems that one day it will stall and stop and to restart it will take years of baby steps

if you knew the pyramid that supported just you for your power your sewer trash doctor lawyers

lawn people cable t.v. or wireless it folks tax men secretaries dog catchers police jailers truck drivers

farmers ranchers county pest control the list goes on forever it all requires power and fuel.

It will come to an end and there are way to many people on this planet almost 7 billion now

how much longer before you think it will crash down.