Sign in to follow this  
550cordfreak

Anyone got any advice?

Im about to go camping soon, and I havn't really done this yet... Anybody got tips they had to learn the hard way, to share to a rookie?

Cheater!! j/k

Never under estimate the need to Hydrate.

Go over your basics of survival: Water, Fire, Shelter, Food and a good fixed-blade knife. Just for your own supplies, seperate from the group supplies.

Without knowing how long your camping trip is, its hard to advise. THis forum has alot of collective knowledge and experience, and many posts on what to include in your gear. Try this thread for input:

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?33-Man-Packable-Survival-Kit

Edited by NavyVet_77

Don't leave your food laying around unless you're cooking it or eating it. Keep it in some kind of airtight container so the wild critters can't smell it.

Bring rain gear.

Extra socks a must.

Bring plenty to eat.

These are all things I've learned the hard way.

Don't leave your food laying around unless you're cooking it or eating it. Keep it in some kind of airtight container so the wild critters can't smell it.

Bring rain gear.

Extra socks a must.

Bring plenty to eat.

These are all things I've learned the hard way.

Double that... especially in bear country.

Something i just now remembered... If your camping trip involves water with currents, if you slip into the currents and are carried down stream, turn your back to the water and face the direction of the current.

THis puts your legs and eyes in front of you letting you see what your being pushed into.

THis very thing saved my A$$ and was wearing Waders at the time (Trout Fishing) which I had only read that a couple days before the incident. Reading and doing my research saved my A$$

Edited by NavyVet_77

Im about to go camping soon, and I havn't really done this yet... Anybody got tips they had to learn the hard way, to share to a rookie?

my advice?.......just have fun..oh and use it as a learning experience for your preps

Navy vet another reason they recommend getting your feet first is when you hit a rock it's your feet not your head

:P derrrr, DOnt have to tell me....

I didnt really feel the need to explain WHY your feet are better in front of you than your head.

Edited by NavyVet_77

EVERYTHING takes longer to do than you planned for. NO fancy cooking - I really like cast iron cooking over a campfire/coals BUT the first few times you try it, have hot dogs for when you burn the stew!:P

Also can't emphasize enough to have a back door. Make sure there are folks that will come looking if you are not home by a certain time. Boy scout manual is a good starting place but you will learn some stuff the hard way. Oh, insect repellant and BURN ointment.

Before you start your campfire, make sure you have a way to put it OUT if it starts getting away from you; being in the middle of a forest fire is not memorable, it's fatal. Don't wait too long to start making camp. It does take longer and setting up after dark can get you hurt. Leave yourself some daylight.

When you can wake up in the morning and think to yourself "Wow, that was a great night's sleep", then you know enough to camp confidently.

It has been my experience that knowing how to get a good night's rest, because of everything that is involved to make that happen, is the measure of your knowledge. So, always bring a good ground mat and that extra blanket. A well rested mind makes better decisions.

If you really haven't been camping before, you may want to ease into it by not going full-bore, out-in-the-middle-of-the-woods for your first foray. Consider a state park where there will be some facilities (toilets, maybe water, fire pits) so you won't have to do and build everything from the ground up while simultaneously putting up a new tent and figuring out just how your camp stove works. You could consider this a first run with some of your equipment, and then AFTER you're familiar with and have used everything, go off the beaten trail.

I am adamant about walking over every inch of ground that the floor of my tent is going to be on. It's amazing how many hidden rocks and sticks you can feel at night when you lay down in your sleeping bag! It also will let you know if you've actually picked level ground and whether you're going to be in a slight rise or in a depression. FYI, if there's even the slightest chance of rain, make sure your tent is on slightly elevated ground, because even the best tent can't keep your gear dry if you set it up in what becomes a pond.

When you're camping, everything that should get done needs to be done ASAP. As Capt Bart points out, things are much more difficult to manage when the sun goes down, so if you notice you need more firewood, go get it NOW. And messes attract camp robbers (everything from birds to raccoons, not to mention bears if they are in your area), so breakfast dishes need to be washed immediately after breakfast, and so on.

Oh, and unless you're hiking a great distance from your vehicle to get to your campsite, I think roughing it is overrated. A good mattress pad makes for a better night's sleep. Yes, you can sit on rocks and stumps, but you know what makes for a more enjoyable time around the fire? A comfortable camp chair. LOL I know many people who are very much into the idea of a bare-bones camp experience, but when I have the option, I am not one of them.

1 Start simple and short

2 let some one not with you know where you are, who you are with, when you plan to return,

3 make sure you have any prescription meds. needed.

4 pack light but extra socks, underwear, cold weather and wet weather clothes

5 make sure your equipment is complete and functional and you know how to set up the tent and stove etc.

6 Be safe and have fun.

Set your tent up at home first...just so you know your not missing any pieces and to make sure you haven't forgotten a step.

Good advice for a LOT of things. I started my generator for the first time after Ike. It worked but it was dumb to not KNOW before the storm. Sometimes even old curmudgeons need to be reminded to double check stuff.

Just my not so humble (but somewhat embarrassed:rolleyes:) opinion.