Sign in to follow this  
P210SIG

Is the family pet part of your bug in/bug out plan, weather its a dog,cat,bird etc.

I own a GSD, & i've made plans to make sure that what ever happens when the chips are down, she will be with us. When things go bad alot of owners let their pets loose to fend for them self, which is very sad. So is their a place in your plans for the family pet in your preping?

Edited by P210SIG

I have some work to do, I admit, but I have been working with the 2 dogs (golden retriever and german shepherd) hiking and exercising. They are already pretty good watch dogs. Also have 2 horses, have BOPs(bug out pastures) for them out in the woods near a year round stream. We have a camping trip planned for all six of us at the state park, using the horses as pack animals, should be fun.

post-2256-13851498004124_thumb.jpgYeah... the cats are coming along. I might get hungry.

It's proving a little difficult to include 'tier 1' pet stuff during the early SHTF bug-out plans.

Im thinking a cat 'harness' and a chest carrier... something like this http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/legsoutfrontpetcarrier.cfm?source=channel_intelligence_gbase&afsrc=1&tid=GO328-1&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=GO328-1

THat is... if I cant use the car to get somewhere. One cat is fat enough to make a NICE pair of fuzzy sox or gloves.

35-40lb of just CAT in the Bug-out plan.

post-2256-13851498003561_thumb.jpg

Edited by NavyVet_77

I know one thing from the joke of the day thread I ain't getting no parrot.

and yes our cat is like the flintstone's cat she ain't leaving the house without a fight.

the dogs well they are staying as they would not do well in the wild, they would kill or bite everything.

we keep 90+ days worth of food and treats and have tick and heart worm and worming meds 6+ months

worth.

Dogs can take medicine that people take in dire emergency's and no vet

you can alter the amount to the weight

of the dog, mine would get 1/2 and 1/4 dose compared to mine.

Guest survival101

hope this thread goes better than the first one. we already had this talk once, but we have a lot of new folks who missed it. everybody keep your temper on a leash. (including me)

Oh yes, my cat is coming with me. If things were really desperate, I could launch her at an enemy and she would totally annihilate them, like a fur-covered fang grenade. She is VICIOUS when she's angry, and she does a good job of keeping me warm by sleeping somewhere on my person every time I sit or lay down. LOL

Actually, I'd keep her because not only is she my beloved pet, I feel like by having a pet, you are obligated to care for them to the best of your ability for as long as they live because you've done your best to condition them AWAY from being able to take care of themselves. That some big thing happens in the world at large doesn't negate that obligation.

I know one thing from the joke of the day thread I ain't getting no parrot.

Now I'm going to have to find the parrot joke.

We have a parrot, fish, and dog. Dog food is just another part of our prepping. She is a part of the family. The fish already has a lifetime supply of food (at least I hope it doesn't last longer than that), and the parrot can eat what we eat. We intend to bug-in unless the nuke plant goes. I'm not sure how taking the bird would work in a bug-out scenario, but with a young son and physical limitations a car is our mode of bugging out anyway, so it could be fine. And as my hubby points out, it may not be an issue as the parrot is kind of our "canary" it that situation anyway.

my pets???? oh yeah, hes Gods dog, im just looking after him so yeah, hes part of the family and has his own bugout bag.

Ditto to that - i am looking after 3 for God at the current moment ... wouldn't leave home without them!

I have some work to do, I admit, but I have been working with the 2 dogs (golden retriever and german shepherd) hiking and exercising. They are already pretty good watch dogs. Also have 2 horses, have BOPs(bug out pastures) for them out in the woods near a year round stream. We have a camping trip planned for all six of us at the state park, using the horses as pack animals, should be fun.

Im so jealous. Sounds like an adventure.

I have no pets at this moment.Wish I had the time to give to a dog.

Oh yes, my cat is coming with me. If things were really desperate, I could launch her at an enemy and she would totally annihilate them, like a fur-covered fang grenade. She is VICIOUS when she's angry, and she does a good job of keeping me warm by sleeping somewhere on my person every time I sit or lay down. LOL

sounds like our cats could be related LOL ... oh the visual i just had of my own personal fur-covered fang gernade!!!

Got sick of having to put my pets to sleep. You have them since they are pups or kittens and you live with them for years , they become one of you and your family.I put my last german sheperd"Boo" to sleep in 2004 and I haven't gotten another pet since. So I can understand the attachments but I don't see me getting another pet again. So when shtf its just me and the wife.

Got sick of having to put my pets to sleep. You have them since they are pups or kittens and you live with them for years , they become one of you and your family.I put my last german sheperd"Boo" to sleep in 2004 and I haven't gotten another pet since. So I can understand the attachments but I don't see me getting another pet again. So when shtf its just me and the wife.

understood B&G.

I have 2 dogs, Lab and a Golden Retriever... What I have done was Freeze dry dog food for several days then removed from the freezer and let set to room temp then sealed up in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers and packet each Mylar bag into a 5 gallon bucket. I did this 3 years ago and 2 months ago I opened one up checking on grain mites and freshness and everything looks good...I have approx 200 lbs of food stocked up in my bunker.

I have 2 dogs, Lab and a Golden Retriever... What I have done was Freeze dry dog food for several days then removed from the freezer and let set to room temp then sealed up in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers and packet each Mylar bag into a 5 gallon bucket. I did this 3 years ago and 2 months ago I opened one up checking on grain mites and freshness and everything looks good...I have approx 200 lbs of food stocked up in my bunker.

welcome to the throng Fridge

Great idea. Mind if I borrow it?