Sign in to follow this  
Danm

Just surviving isn't enough...

One of the things that you will need to keep in mind ESPECIALLY if you have kids under the age of 16 in your group is that survival isn’t enough. As quickly as possible you will need to start living again. The long term effects of stress and constant tension cannot be overstated. The younger you are the more likely it will be to devastate you. Old farts have a way of just muddling through, remembering the past and waiting for a better future while the younger people seem to live in the now a lot more. I think it is because they don’t have as much water behind them.

Everyone talks about how well kids adapt but then when you look at them down the road you see that maybe it wasn’t so good after all. Most abusers came from abusive backgrounds and most criminals were raised in that sort of thing. If we drag our kids through waist deep crud we are going to see it in the adults they will grow into. If there is no security in their lives they may never be able to settle down and just live.

Once you get to your BOL you need to as fast as possible start a routine and stay with it. Even the scary things like guarding your perimeter become less troublesome when it is a part of an every day routine. The military does this for a reason. People find it comforting and kids need it even more than the adults.

MAKE time for simple pleasures. Play isn’t just for the kids and you shouldn’t be under constant threat if you planned ahead and have a moderately secure location after the first months. For centuries people lived with uncertainties that we have never had to deal with. They did it by careful thought and planning and experience. You have to realize, there won’t be and nightly news keeping you informed. If you are near a coast each little storm COULD be a hurricane. If you live in the north country you won’t know when you go to bed if there is a blizzard coming.

Don’t worry yourself to death. PLAN and then trust your plan to protect you. Learn from your mistakes and move on leaving them in the past. A lot of things are going to be easier to do if things get long term crappy. You will have lots of time to ponder, plan and think. No TV, no radio and best of all NO PHONES! A lot of the simple everyday things that you may look at as work now become pleasures later. I remember when I was a kid gathering together under the old oaks in the evenings and shelling peas, shucking and silking corn or any of the gillion other things you had to do to put your crops away. We would talk and work while listening to the old folks tell their stories. It was nice.

A lot of what you will do will be time consuming but not really mind consuming. While your hands are busy your mind is free to travel. We used to sing a lot when I was a kid. The men would sometimes play jokes on each other and there was always a lot of laughter. This is what you will need to give yourself and your kids. Make their TODAY a pleasant and worry free place to be. Laugh a lot and then just deal with things as they come at you. This is living and if you don’t do it you won’t survive as a person.

Meals need to be regular, special and family time. Do it together as much as you can. We always did breakfast and dinner together and even came in for lunch if it wasn’t too far. There will be some things that will change. Don’t even try to keep a modern type of schedule. Different places had different ways of dividing up their day and night and you will need to let your lifestyle determine what works for you. The farther south you are the more likely you will settle on a midday break and nap then a later supper. In the colder climates people used to sleep a split shift. They worked hard all day then went to bed with the birds. They would sleep for a while and then get up for a while in the middle of the night. In winter months you just can’t sleep from sundown to sunrise! Then they would sleep again before morning. When you are heating with a fire you need to get up to tend the fire and so that was when you stayed up for a while.

Be flexible and don’t try to make yourself act or do things a certain way if your body seems to be disagreeing with you. You will actually get more done if you don’t work until you nearly drop. Rest and take a little time to smell the roses. Contrary to what people now days think the old ways were not all hand to mouth drudgery. Primitive people actually spent less time everyday working than we do now. Now really, how much of your time working goes to keep the rain off your head and food in your gullet and how much is paying for all the goodies that people now thing you just gotta have?

Were it just me I suspect that I could live quite nicely on a couple hours of work a day. I don’t need a lot and would rather sit on the porch of my cabin whittling than out racing that damn rat. The less I watch TV the less interest I have in it. I prefer to read, write and just think. I spend a lot of my time sitting on the porch watching my Granddaughter chase the ducks and chickens around, scratching the dogs heads and bellies and enjoying just being with my family. We end almost every day that way. Too tell you the truth this computer is about the only thing I will miss much. Even in today’s world I found that surviving was not good enough and had to relearn how to live.

Snake, all I can say is thank God for spell check! My spelling and punctuation is awful but most of it gets caught by my spell checker. I too often post then read it again and go OMG and have to edit it again.

A great point to make! We get so caught up in the nuts and bolts of the day to day necessaties of surviving ( both now and in the unknown SHTF/TEOTWAWKI ) that we don't think or talk enough about living.