Sign in to follow this  
awake

STRESS. Its a killer.

ok. I will admit that sometimes every thing seems to pile up and i get stressed out. My way of dealing with stress is to do some physical exercise. A long hike in the woods is better than any shrink would be for me. On this forum we tend to stay keyed up and vigilant. That is good but there are side effects to always being on watch. We had a thread on the importance of bringing your threat level down to condition white once in a while. i could not find it so i started this thread. I also found a nice article from another source:

http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/index.php/2012/04/18/eight-tips-for-coping-during-stressful-times/

So what do you do to get UN-stressed?

me? i hike and use humor. and you?

Most stress in my life, as a married working man, is thrust upon me.. not as a result of anything i've done or not done. Stress just 'is' a part of my life, and my health has paid dearly. Once I realized this was the problem and saw what I could do to change it, i acted on it. Life is not stress-free but much better. Things could be better but I'm content, and healthier than before. Knowing things could and would be worse if I had not acted, makes it easier for me to be content.

Any doctor will tell you that stress levels can have a direct and profound influence on your overall health. but employers will tell you 'prove it'. THat made it a little easier to change jobs, knowing that was my employers attitude.

Any doctor will tell you that stress levels can have a direct and profound influence on your overall health. but employers will tell you 'prove it'. THat made it a little easier to change jobs, knowing that was my employers attitude.

yes i believe it. this mentality by the employer helped cause my dad his 3rd and final heartattack when i was 1 yrs old.

I've found a couple of hours out shooting with friends to be incredibly relaxing. Something about slowing down and focusing on breathing, trigger control, etc. reallyreleases the stress. I usually take the long guns out if I want to relax. The handgun is great for just blowing off some steam,

I lost my Dad to heartattacks. He had many. They did a 4x bypass on him and he died a year later. He was 58yrs old.

I have had 3 myself. 3x by pass 2 1/2 yrs ago.

My genes and life style are big big part of it. It is still hard for me to change my old dirty habits. But I am and thats what counts.

urban

good for you. glad you are working on your health. my health is tied to my genetics as well. doesn't matter how i change my diet or exercise. I knew the medications were going to be a fact of life. I also had to make career changes. I make a third of what i did but with retirement in site and the family taken care of, i feel a ton better. and my family is grateful as well. one step at time and so you will be well on your way to better health.

Stress is like urine in the body,is toxic,you most urinate to stay alive.The news media,problems that are not related to you,out of your control situations are all toxic.The is like a hard drive in a computer,it can be overloaded,so,defragment the mind,find a good friend to talk to,a hobby

(There comes a time in a mans life when his past seems wasted and his dreams dry up.This is the time when the friendship of his woman may be the only thing that can pull him through).

Remenber that.

urban

good for you. glad you are working on your health. my health is tied to my genetics as well. doesn't matter how i change my diet or exercise. I knew the medications were going to be a fact of life. I also had to make career changes. I make a third of what i did but with retirement in site and the family taken care of, i feel a ton better. and my family is grateful as well. one step at time and so you will be well on your way to better health.

Thanks AWAKE. Best of health to you.

Thanks AWAKE. Best of health to you.

been working with a great cardiologist for the last three years. he told me last month that the heart stress test and blood work look like they came from someone 20 years younger. i hope that everyone is aware of their heart conditions. even thirty isn't too early to start looking into it.

A glass of red wine every day. A bit more on the off day. Resvesterol (sp?) is good for the ticker and a bit of alcohol is good for the soul....unless of course there have been past problems with alcohol

did they say what caused it?

I have had 2 heart attacks already. What I do to relieve stress is to stop focusing on my problems and start searching the survival forums and try to see the humor in some of them.

I've found a couple of hours out shooting with friends to be incredibly relaxing. Something about slowing down and focusing on breathing, trigger control, etc. reallyreleases the stress. I usually take the long guns out if I want to relax. The handgun is great for just blowing off some steam,

i gotta double that. Getting back on the range after so long feels nice. Good and relaxed after a couple boxes.

weeding yard work and prepping really helps me, since i got my place i have noticed a big change, before when i was renting i always felt it to be a chore (yardwork-not prepping), now its something i look forward to, i guess cuz i'm doin it for me..I've noticed i'm not as stressed at work as i used to be..although the station tones at O-dark thirty still suck...hehe

Being able to dump my problems in the Lords hands and mean it, really helps. Time after time problem after problem gets taken care of. Of course satan loves to test you but Jesus is really there and he wants to help, he wants you to have faith in Him.

I also walk a lot and lift weights ,reload, build models and chase my wife around.......

Over the years I've tried a lot of things as stress relievers. Some worked and some didn't. Some of the ones that worked were not good for me or for those around me. In the end I had to decide that the rat race just wasn't for me. I shot the little bugger and retired from racing rats.

I guess I was always a square peg that tried to force myself to fit that round hole and it just doesn't work. Finally I went into business for myself, worked the hours that my body likes and never looked back. The money isn't as good as what I used to make and it isn't as steady but I'm happy, my wife hasn't had the wild urge to shoot me in a long time and life is good.

To some extent every day since I was about 16 has been a fight for survival. I was about 40 before I figured out that living is what counts and though it was scary and hard at times I've never regretted moving out of the city and into the woods. I commuted for a while at first and I could actually FEEL the tension leaving me as I got out and could roll my windows down and smell the forests.

When I finally gave it up it was 7 years before anyone could get me to even go down to Houston for any reason. Too many people, too much noise and WAY too much pollution! Just driving home can be almost as stressful as trying to survive a Zombie attack some times. I remember one night that it took me 7 hours to make a 2 hour drive.

Some people just aren't cut out for that sort of thing. I guess I'm just a wuss but I would rather wrassle a gator with one hand tied behind my back than drive through Houston during rush hour. LOL.

Pills can help but in the long run if the stress is just eating you up you are going to have to make changes or die young. In my case it is never the big things that gnaw on me. It is the day by day abrasions of dealing with stupidity and rude people while resisting the urge to pinch their heads off that gets to me.

Edited by Danm