Sign in to follow this  
Annette

under ground

Do you expect someone to come up with a comprehensive list for you here? Because I'm guessing that you could get a list going for yourself if you were willing to do some online research (Google is our friend).

I'm more curious about WHY you want to know this - is this part of a bug-out plan? And if so, wouldn't you just want to know more about the underground places in your own area?

Where are the under ground places located in each state EX salt mines, caves, gyspsom mines?

Annette,

Welcome to the site.

Navy mentioned mines, and such. The mines, etc. are boarded up for a very good reason - they're usually very dangerous. If you're looking for caves and such, see if there is a spelunking society/club near you. They can show you where there are sites in your area and help you get started exploring them safely.

I guess I am a tad confused by your question. What are you looking for? A state that has a lot of holes or places near where you currently are located? I suspect we missed the point of your question so if you'd care to expand on it a little it might help us respond.

Though not a state (we are treated more like Puerto Rico, so please support DC voting rights...end rant), we have a lot of underground. The Metro (read subway for non DC metro folks), old trolly turnaround spots, and the sand water purification vaults.

I agree with everyone else your question was a bit broad and its purpose was not clarified.

Where are the under ground places located in each state EX salt mines, caves, gyspsom mines?

Well, one thing is for sure Annette. Just for your enlightenment. If the earth began shaking, the last place I'd

want to be is in a cave or mine for fear of collapse. Now an underground bunker would be a little different.

If that's where you were going with this question.

Oh, and welcome to the boards..

JMO

dr

Edited by desert rat

Since we're already on the topic of "underground" in general, would this be a good place to discuss advantages and disadvantages of a below-ground bug out location?

The big advantages I can think of:

• Constant temperature (roughly equivalent to 60 degrees farenheit)
  • Naturally strong due to earthen reinforcement
  • Not really vulnerable to high winds, falling trees, etc
  • Doubles as a tornado shelter
  • Dirt stops bullets very well

Some of the disadvantages:

• Moisture is an ever-present enemy
  • Constant temperature
  • Can be difficult to construct and limited by local geography
  • Drainage can be an issue

Edited by Major Krisis
Formatting error!

Salt mines are great and usually are found in geologically stable areas. Also they are bone dry and often used as storage for important documents and such. The problem with them is that they are also DEEEEEP and require power to get into and out of. I might rappel a quarter mile down a hole but I would never be able to drag my fat old butt back up that rope!

In general I don't think that big holes in the ground will be very good places to be unless we get smacked with a huge comet or a big nuclear attack. In those two cases it would be ok if you had a year or two of supplies down there with you. Other wise I'd about as soon take my chances on top.

If you want to go underground you need to think about something small and well hidden or like an old missile silo. Those things are usually hardened and in out of the way places. Mines will either be full of people that have lived and worked around them or NOT the sort of hole you want to be down in. I'm thinking about tunneling under my slab and making a priest hole that I can drop in if I just HAVE to hide rather than deal with the problem.

Edited by Danm