Sign in to follow this  
Mike Uher

Favorite piece of kit, and why.

So, I raise the general question, what is your favorite piece of kit and why? I ask this because there is something out there i have not thought of, and it is bugging me. So often we try and think of what we need to have material wise, that we overlook simple items that can save us alot of headache later on. I guess to be fair, I will start it off. Mine is my CRKT Tanto Folder. I purchased it aboard Camp Fallujah in 04, and have carried it just about everywhere I can get away with it since. It is a durable, reliable knife, and fits my hand like a glove. I think what I like best about it is its no frills design. It is very functional, with a titanium handle, and carbon steel blade, this knife is meant to be used, not lovingly tended to like a prized chef knife. I have carried it as a primary weapon, as a utility knife, as a chefs knife (or as chef as you can be making ramen and MRE's over a hand sanitizer fueled stove made out of a perforated pop can.) and everything in between. Its my CRKT, and there are many like it, but this one is MINE!

Mike-That's a pretty cool knife. If I didnt already own so many of them, I might be tempted to buy one for myself. :)

Personally as far as kit goes, I had a scare this past summer when I had an accident while patrolling out land and I smashed my hand. As I was going into shock, I was explaining to my oldest son how to treat for shock. Since then, first aid as well as communciation capability has been top of my mind and finding suitable kits to pack with us for this situation. An accident can happen so fast, and having the gear and knowlege of what to do is essential. I never, EVER expected something like this to happen to me, but after it did- it was quite an eye-opener.

That is an excellent knife. My favorite knife tool presently is the Gerber Crucial, which is a smallish multi-tool. I find the pliers feature really comes in handy. Just tonight I was filing some paperwork in a file titled "Camp-Hunting Pack List" and in the file are lists made over the past 20 years from hunting and travel trips all over the country, plus weekend trips locally to my camp. It would be hard to select a favorite kit item, unless it is the mode of carry or the "kit" itself. I love Maxpedition gear bags, especially the sling designs. I rarely leave camp on my ATV without this bag loaded with essentials. Like Emory says you never know when something is going to happen out in the wilds.

It's a tie for me between my Gerber MLF II and my canteen kit (canteen, canteen cup, canteen cup stove all nested and in a pouch). That knife can do anything and that canteen kit can purify water or be my cooking kit should I need it.

I was on a camping trip last weekend, and these two things and my hammock set up (ENO hammock, ENO hammock bug net and a tarp) had me being the most minimalist guy out there. They have all gotten themselves an LMF II online since they saw what mine could do. (Used it to whittle, thump wood since no one had an axe/hatchet, used as a spatula to flip burgers on the grill, hammer in tent stakes cause no one had a hammer and showed them how it could be turned into a spear with the paracord I keep tied on the sheath)

Edited by Delta7

This is a very interesting thread.....I would have to say as far as my kit...it has to be my Bear Grylls Gerber survival knife....it goes everywhere that I go.....this is a great knife and I have given a number of hefty workouts since I have had it...and so far the knife has preformed great...keeps a very nice edge with the built-in sheath sharper....it fits in my hans like it was made to fit there....it's just an all around great dependable knife...i have 3 more on order so I can place them one in my bug-out-bags and one in my bug-out vehicle.

This is a very interesting thread.....I would have to say as far as my kit...it has to be my Bear Grylls Gerber survival knife....it goes everywhere that I go.....this is a great knife and I have given a number of hefty workouts since I have had it...and so far the knife has preformed great...keeps a very nice edge with the built-in sheath sharper....it fits in my hans like it was made to fit there....it's just an all around great dependable knife...i have 3 more on order so I can place them one in my bug-out-bags and one in my bug-out vehicle.

I highly encourage you to not order those Bear Grylls knives until you try out a Gerber LMF II. The Bear Grylls knife is like a watered down version of the LMF II, and it's only about $20-$25 more expensive. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

I highly encourage you to not order those Bear Grylls knives until you try out a Gerber LMF II. The Bear Grylls knife is like a watered down version of the LMF II, and it's only about $20-$25 more expensive. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

I agree about the LMF, but the BG is less than half the LMF. The BG here in town is $39 while the LMF is $99. I have found the LMF online for $79, but then you have shipping. For someone buying three or 4 knives to stash, the BG might be the better choice, especially on a budget.

my favorite piece of gear my brain it can be improved it can store all my needs facts and memories

beyond that a cold steel bushman's knife it is solid and should be a corner stone of any BOB

I have mentioned this before it bears repeating, a Chinese wax-wood 6 foot staff great for hiking.

together they make a spear and the building blocks for survival.

Remember that ancient people a sharp rock wood spear was all they had but adapted and created

everything we see today.

we are blessed that we live in a country / countries that allows us the freedom to have these blogs

{conversations}

and much innovative camping and survival gear to choose from and experiment with.

Having all the gear and all the books nothing replaces actual real time field use and experience.

woodcraft from indigenous people from every continent is at our fingertips while the internet is available

so research research research.

Mike-That's a pretty cool knife. If I didnt already own so many of them, I might be tempted to buy one for myself. :)

Personally as far as kit goes, I had a scare this past summer when I had an accident while patrolling out land and I smashed my hand. As I was going into shock, I was explaining to my oldest son how to treat for shock. Since then, first aid as well as communciation capability has been top of my mind and finding suitable kits to pack with us for this situation. An accident can happen so fast, and having the gear and knowlege of what to do is essential. I never, EVER expected something like this to happen to me, but after it did- it was quite an eye-opener.

If you haven't all ready get your kids into basic first aid classes. Nothing will prepare you fully for a real bloody injury but at least having the knowledge of what to do gives you an idea of where to go from square one. When your life is on the line it's frightening how few people know first aid or keep the supplies on hand.

Edited by Autonomous

That LMF II looks really nice. Looking online now. Is there any difference between the Infantry version and the Survival version? All I can tell is the Survival version comes with a strap cutter and some extra leg straps. Going to add this knife to my list. My wife has a nice fixed blade, but I still need to add one to my kit.

As to my favorite piece of kit, I'm going to have to go with my advance wilderness first aid. If you are looking for a first aid class, see if you can do one that focuses on wilderness first aid. There is a big difference in treating someone on the street when the paramedics are 5 minutes away and from treating an injury on the trail. The same would apply to a SHTF situation.

As to actual gear, I'm going with my Case mini Copperlock knife. It's my EDC knife and I love it. My second is my 4Sevens mini123 flashlight. Its my EDC light. If S really HTF, these might be the only things I have on me for a long time. They aren't flashy, but they get the job done.

I personally really like Gerber knives, LMF II is in there and I don't know what it is about this knife but I love it. It just feels like I can never break it, abuse it too much, feel like I can use it for anything. Paraframe folder is always with me, I too have the Bear Grylls knife and it has gotten a lot of flak but thus far I am happy with it for the price.

"My old K-bar. " Subguy1, now I feel sorta dumb. i completely forgot my old K-bar. For the money, they are the best knives out there IMHO. I like the posts regarding First aid kits. Again, something I never think of, but something that is very important (I have a sam splint, and a Tourniquet in my backpack at all times) And the "whats in my head" answer is tooooooo true ("My mind is the weapon, everything else is merely an accessory"- Wicked Jester t-shirt http://www.wickedjester.com/). But I feel that I must change my favorite piece of kit. Recently I purchased a 5.11 Rush 12 for use as a backpack at school. I have been blown away by how useful, and versatile this thing is. I think I could carry everything I need and the kitchen sink. If you have seen my Torn post, this was the pack that really started the ball rolling on me rethinking my BOB. I am putting this thing through the paces, and it is taking it very well. 2 mile pack run, probably the most comfortable pack of its kind I have done that with (and that was with thirty pounds in it.) So, my new favorite kit (with the CRKT in a very close second) is my Rush 12 day pack. The sandstone colored one. The thing is awesome. Third place goes to my trusty, beat up, K-bar.

My experience with the CRKT M16-EDC hasn't been good. Lost the clip and all the screws on the clip when they decided to go walkabout. Luckily, the knife was in my pocket (learned that lesson: Locktite all screws). Biggest problem was the Auto-Lawks system. Mine reversed itself and had to be depressed to open the knife.

I will give them this: once I sent it to them, they returned it fixed and with a new clip. Haven't used it much since, however.