217 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, steve-rawls said:

Stuff I like:

• getting out into nature.  
  • building tree platforms with logs
  • starting fires with a bow and drill
  • crafting multi-pronged fishing spears from tree branches

http://wilderness-survival.org/

Just thought of something if you don't boil and filter the water you get closer to nature you'll get worms  :D

wally likes this

Hello! 

If extreme wilderness survival skills are your thing than this is a guy to watch some videos from, his environment is tropical/sub tropical somewhere I'm not sure but many of the skills are universal.

enjoy and look though our older posts, there are many things to find. One thing that you will find for sure looking through them is that there is as they say " a million ways to skin a cat" ....that everyone has their ways and while they might not be the ones that you are looking for...one of the most important survival skills is adaptability, if you can't do it your way you had best have another way or you are in big trouble.

interested to ask ya. You say that you love to go out and craft in the woods? Do you use the things you craft on a long term basis? ...and I have to ask, as it is a pretty time consuming skill to master and even for ones who master it, a very time consuming skill to practice, have you ever speared and landed a fish with a split log fishing spear? 

wally and P210SIG like this

I’ve watched this guys videos for about a year now,  he’s quite innovative with skills, all the videos I’ve seen he’s never uttered / spoke a word from his mouth.

I think this guy is from South America some where, it’s just a guess.

wally likes this

Hi, my name is Steel.  I'm 20 years old and I've always been into, "preparing," as it is the Boy Scouts moto: "Be Prepared."  (I'm an Eagle Scout).  I never knew there was a community that was into this kind of stuff, so I'm glad to be a part of it now.  I guess my first question is...where do I really start when it comes to prepping?  I know the basics of survival: fire, water, food, shelter.  But when it comes to prepping I'm at a fork in the road with a thousand side roads.  Do I start with a bug out bag, bug out vehicle, a bug in type prepper set up in my own home?  Any tips would be awesome, thanks.

5 hours ago, Steel Assault said:

Hi, my name is Steel.  I'm 20 years old and I've always been intro, "preparing," as it is the Boy Scouts moto: "Be Prepared."  (I'm an Eagle Scout).  I never knew there was a community that was into this kind of stuff, so I'm glad to be a part of it now.  I guess my first question is...where do I really start when it comes to prepping?  I know the basics of survival: fire, water, food, shelter.  But when it comes to prepping I'm at a fork in the road with a thousand side roads.  Do I start with a bug out bag, bug out vehicle, a bug in type prepper set up in my own home?  Any tips would be awesome, thanks.

Steel Welcome, Great to have you looking forward to your posts.

Steel Assault likes this

Welcome to Survival Cache steel.

This is the order I would set things up, but the choices are all yours to decide.

1/. I would start with a I’m staying home preps, this should be the easiest one to do, since you should have food,water,meds,some tools & maybe a garden where you’re living now.

2/  A get home bag would be next, on a day to day grind, you’re either out somewhere working or maybe on holidays. A GHB is important.

3/  A BOL ( bug out location/s ) most preppers will likely not have one .In this day & age most folks can’t afford a house these days let alone a bug out location, say a hunt/fishing camp, cottage etc,etc. If you have the coin this would be third on the list.

4/. Bug out bag ( BOB ) I would only have one if there’s a place one can go to, other wise your wasting you’re time Money & resources in having one.

Well this is my take on things, choose wisely, unless one has tons & tons of money to toss around. Make the right decissions, hope you make the right ones for your needs there Steel .

wally likes this

Vehicle preps...

Summer, tire inflator, water, energy bars, car tools ,jumper cables, cell phone & your get home bag.

Winter, same as summer items, but add winter wool blankets, snow boots & gloves, coat, & bags of salt, a shovel & plenty of windshield washer fluid.

Try to have 1/2 tank of gasoline or more at all times in your vehicles.

Always have a few gallons of gas for the chain saws, lawn mower etc. In the shead. 

wally likes this

Welcome! I see the best way to start is look at YOUR life and think hard and honest about it....what are the most likely issues or events to threaten you today...tomorrow...next week or month then figure the most timely and cost effective way to mitigate, reduce or outright avoid the damage they will cause to your situation....IE are you putting off a new set of tires a little too long, or still living the fast food life style and your cupboards are bare except a can of chicken soup and flat of ramen noodles. Once you have honestly decided that you are 24 hours secure from calamity move to 48 hrs, 72 hrs, a week. For sure I believe the first step to preparedness is a honest self-assessment of your situation.

wally and Steel Assault like this