Sign in to follow this  
Josh_Survivalcache

Introduction Thread

My turn!

I have been reading the Cache for a a few months, and I must be dense because I just noticed you even have a forum.

My brother and I both were raised in a household that believed in self dependence, but also knew not to bite the hand that feeds. With that said I have been hunting, fishing, camping and competitively shooting for as long as it has been prudent.

My brother is equally as interested in these types of things, but lives 1000 miles away. We have a unique ability to plan, and discuss equipment and other BUGOUT options given each geographic consideration with unique potential plans to meet up in a SHTF type situation.

1. Please describe your Every Day Carry?

On my person every day I carry at minimum, wallet with some CASH, cell phone, SOG Twitch II, black bandanna, LED flashlight on my key ring along with a P-38 can opener and my Ruger LCP .380 with 2 mags (one loaded with ball points, the other with JHP's)

2. Favorite Bug Out Pistol?

4" Springfield Armory XD .45ACP

3. Favorite Concealed Carry Pistol?

I carried an XD for a long time, but it is too bulky for every day use. The LCP .380 will do the job should I need it, so it has been promoted to the daily CCW.

4. Favorite Bug Out Rifle or Carbine?

Depending on the situation a custom AR-10 (20" barrel .308) or the trusty AK-47.

5. Favorite Rifle or Carbine?

AR-10

6. Favorite Shotgun?

Mossberg 500 12 gauge 18.5" 6 round, tac'ed out including a light.

7. The amount of food you have at your house?

Enough to meet the planned need. Anybody else store salt? (OPSEC)

8. Name your top 7 items in your Bug Out Bag?

Water storage and purification, MRE's, Fire starting, Knife, First Aid Kits, Paracord, Canvas Tarp.

9. Describe your Bug Out Location, if you have one?

A location along a river near a rock face defensible from all angles, with shelter opportunities. (OPSEC)

10. Describe your Bug Out Vehicle?

2nd Gen 4Runner, V8 swapped, 4x4 lifted with meaty tires.

11. Describe your Bug Out Bag?

REI Traverse New Star in dark green utilizing straps to hang extra items.

12. Favorite home defense pistol?

Defer to the gauge, but my .380 is the only pistol not secured.

13. Favorite home defense Rifle/Shotgun?

The Mossy described above mixed with PXD1 ammo and #2 shot.

14. Favorite Survival Book?

Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living.

15. Favorite Survival Type Movie?

Hmmm, pass.

16. Survival Knife?

KA-BAR Becker Tac Tool

17. Survival Tools in Your Kit?

2 different types of Gerber multi tools, Saber Cut hand chain saw, entrenching tools, hatchet.

Edited by Excess7

If you didn't guess from my user name, my name is Sean. I won't say I'm much of a survivalist but I definitely want to be prepared. I've been reading a lot of articles here, mostly involving BoBs and related topics. Been making my own, which is almost complete (at least for the budge I have to work with). I use to go backpacking with friends yearly until I started college. Also, living in CA, along the coast there's a lot of great places for hiking, especially when your campus is in the redwoods with 25 plus miles of trails. I wish I had more time to get out - of civilization for a few days - but with school I can hardly manage a day hike with out getting behind. I'm an Earth Science major concentrating on Environmental Geology, and if all goes right hopefully I will land a field job - then I'll have plenty of time to get out.

Everyday I have a wallet and cell phone. If I have my backpack, this will add pens, paper, bike tools, and sometimes water.

None

None

None

None

6. Favorite Shotgun?

None

Probably around a month (at least 1 week's worth of food is perishable though)

Water, foodstuffs, tarp, paracord, multitool (knife, light, pliers, etc.), fire starters (weather proof matches + flint striker), FAK.

Not sure yet.

Well, I'd have 3 options. My road bike, mountain bike, or Buick. We'll see what the disaster is, if I head to the woods, I'll take the mountain bike.

3 day assault pack, coyote color. Unless I buy a new sleeping bag, I will be using the MOLLE straps to carry it externally.

None

None

The Road (fiction). Will have to read up on some non-fiction/guides.

First Blood

16. Survival Knife?

Mora 840MG Clipper (would like to also have a Ka-Bar full size straight edge knife)

I have 2 multitools, each have an LED light, one has a few tools with pliers, the other has a few blades, screw drivers, cork screw, can opener, scissors, and the like. Also have a few P38 can openers and a knife sharpener.

As per my user name, my name is Tom. Growing up with a father in the military I've had the luxury of experiencing the world from a variety of locations, and having a mother from some pretty deep rooted hillbilly lineage I've spent most of it outside (She's a very sweet lady, but most mothers from the social strata I've lived in don't butcher turtles in the driveway, and live chickens in the back yard lol.)

I've spent 11 years in the Army national guard, and spent about 3 of that in the high mountain desert of Afghanistan. I've been studying and practicing "martial arts" most of my life, not that it really amounts to much. I'm a voracious reader when a subject piques my interest and prone to experimentation on the subject matter, which has helped me develop some interesting skills and knowledge bases over the years.

oh well, on to the questions :)

1. EDC: A sharp object of some sort, for utility, knives can potentially turn into a head game/hinderance when you really want to hurt someone. When I'm able I carry a CZ-100 in .40sw with one mag loaded, if I can't finish it with 10 rounds, I should have had a rifle to begin with ;)

2. BO Pistol: Beretta 92fs, with a grip of 15 round mags and some boxed ammo. I have the muscle memory for it, and know all the ins and out of keeping it working in a poor environment. Why rock the boat?

3.CCP: None

4. BO rifle or carbine: A loaded one :)

5. Favorite rifle or carbine: same as answer 4

6. Shotgun: Not much of a shot gunner, I know how to use em, have a few bouncing around here somewhere, but they just never really tripped my trigger.

7. Food stored in house: I keep a list of my neighbors observed food stock >.>

8. Top seven item in bug out bag: Not sure, never prioritized it, off the top of my head, Golock, fero-rod, shemagh, water bottle, isreali bandage, I'll make it top 5 instead.

9. BO LOC: Someplace with an easy to lead mob :) actually I don't have one yet.

10. BO VIC: Ford Ranger, or failing that LPC's

11. BOB: An actual old school Black expandable Bugout Bag.

12. Home Def Pistol: I have My CZ-100 filling that role at present, it has a few bells and whistles that make it a good close quarters gun.

13. Home Def rifle/shotty: I don't have any rifles that i feel safely fall into the "just enough" envelope for home defense. I do have a Mosberg-500 loaded with duplex turkey loads, and yes, duplex turkey loads are man stoppers, but unlike .00 don't zip through every wall in the house.

14. Fave Surv book: 6th ID survival handbook, old school, and littered with notes where it needed corrected, but still a very good resource.

15. Fave Surv Movie: Alive

16. Survival Knife: I don't think I own a single knife that most would consider an actual survival knife, but I have a lot of knives, and aside from a few of the poorly made ones given as gifts that I keep for sentiment I could get by with any of them. My go to field knife is probably my Glock 78.

17. Survival tools in your kit? A lot of odds and ends, Golock, small size gerber multitool (only gerber products I own are the multitools), file, some stones of various grades and types, surefire exec elite, mag light mini.... I'll stop there.

hello i'm chuck,from nw IN..i'm 60..was in 82nd,scout...tracking was 1 of my jobs..recon... we had to study survival a lot..sf and us used a lot of the same training sites @ bragg. on the tracking some of the team members could till injuries,how tall,how in shape you were,if you were sick,or if you just ate or drank..i never got that good..but i did learn a small amount.i enjoy hunting ,trapping ,fishing ,camping ,hiking..i've been preping for a while now. been coming in here for awhile.hope to get to know ya.hope i can be benificial. but i'm low tec.

favorite rifle johnson lite.

carbine

ak or 1022

pistol

45 acp-40 acp-22

pack

k-bar,buck,gerber folder,gerber multi-tool,canteen w-cup,mess-kit,e-tool ,poncho ,lifeboat matches,blast match,gloves,para cord,cable snares,traps,fishing line,hooks,weights,flycasting line(with the lead line in it) for making snares,tomahawk,machete,2 lite meals,gum,chia seeds,fish oil ,emergency blanket,2 shemaghs,first aide kit,medicine bag,essential oils for bag.

Hello and "Roll Tide" from Alabama. I am the FNG. I spent 6 years in Military Schools from high school on. Thought I wanted a military career. I then spent 6 years in the USAF with an exotic tour in Viet Nam and Thailand. (interesting to say the least and the least said the better). Got out of the service in 1974. Spent a couple of weeks in the VA Hospital because of my allergy (metallic objects passing through my body at high speed. Type unknown.) Needed a job and too lazy to work so I got into a GOVERNMENT job...Law Enforcement. 26 years on a local PD and now 10 years for the County. Talk about Zombies! Not only did I work for them but also with them. Some of these people were brain dead. I was safer when I was in-country. Half of the department can not shoot, the other half is too dangerous. We were required to be on the PD pistol team and participate in the local matches. The Zombies did their best to kill me. Then about 6 or so years ago I had two heart attacks. (the sobs even turned that against me). Being a survivalist, I survived. But, the fickle finger of fate was not through with me yet! I then found out that I had esophageal cancer. Again, I beat that. (Never thought that GOD would let me down)......I 'm glad that he doesn't charge by the hour.

So...here I am too old to run but still have plenty of trigger time left and a lot of fight still in me. I intend to retire on Social Security the 1st of June 2012 (before the world ends...LOL). The only the way they can do me in will be on one of the Govt.s death panels. It has been a great run so far but not over yet.

Zombies? ........ Whats next will make me even stronger.

Edited by VIS 9

Hello from the volunteer state of tennessee, I will start with now and go backwards. Currently work for a large security company that provides armed security for Federal building, I currently work the good ole grave yard shift and love it, noone to mess with me, I have worked this job for around 7 years, I have also worked for the sheriffs department here in my hometown, didn't much like that, so when the local national guard unit got called up for there first tour of duty in Iraq, I was contacted by the state of tennesse and offered a job maintaining the armory while the unit was deployed, so i left the sheriffs department and took the job. It lasted for 18 months, after that was over is when I took my current job. I spent 26 years in the army, with all 26 years being in combat arms. I started out as a armored crewman on the M60 series tank, stayed with armor until the new M1 series tanks hit the ground, got bored with the tanks and decided I wanted a career change, so I went from being a armored crewman to a Cavalry Scout which was much more exciting, upon my retirement I was a platoon sergeant, Bradley Fighting Vehicle Commander and unit training NCO. Shorty after retirement is when 9/11 happened and thats whats really got me into prepping and have been doing it ever since. My goal is to someday prep full-time and wait for the major shtf event. I do have a BOL and a BOV up and ready for action, but as many other preppers I intend to bug in for as long as I can

Hello all, my name is Matt, I'm from Texas (yee-haw).

I'm brand spanking new to this whole idea of survival and prepping. I've kept my head in the sand for some time now and feel like I'm way behind. All that said, I've been reading through the site for about a month now and decided to register to get some much needed knowledge.

I have a family of 5 and I'm working toward being prepared and self-sufficient for at least 3 days short-term, and hopefully long-term for TEOTWAWKI. Being on a limited budget I have decided to start with my EDC and work toward getting a BOB fully stocked.

Right now my EDC consists of: Kershaw Shallot (knife), Leatherman Blast (multi-tool), Streamlight PL-2, S&W M&P .40 compact, keys, wallet, and phone. I'm working toward getting a "murse" to increase my EDC to include a first aid kit, anibacterial hand rub, extra mags, extra flashlight, pens, notebook, iPad (for work), maps, water and snacks.

I just bought a BOB and am also working (slowly) to get it fully stocked. My next major purchases I've decided will be for home and self protection. My goal by years end is to have in addition to my compact and full size M&P .40s, to have: 1 x AR-15, 1 x 20 gauge shotgun, 1 x Kel-tec pistol caliber carbine, crossbow and a .22 rifle and plenty of ammo for all.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions on how to "prep" on a limited budget, I'm eager to hear it. We are in the process of starting a small garden, really excited about this. I want my family to be ready and able when the time comes.

Thanks all, God bless.

Matador

Welcome matador. glad to have you join us. we all feel that we have started prepping later than we should have. baby steps. just remember that when it hits the fan and you can survive just one more day with your family then that is a gift from above. that's what most of us want. to live free. prepping is an expression of that freedom. Adding one more can of beans is just one more step in the right direction. keep on the path.

I'm new so I figure I should introduce myself. First, I'm a rare breed indeed. I'm a journalist who's also into guns, real freedom, and of course prepping. I've been into it off and on for five years or so now, but I'm nowhere near where I need to be with it. However, one up side with the show Doomsday Preppers is that I have family members who are starting to get interested in prepping which makes the whole thing a lot easier.

I'm located on Southwest Georgia where I actually own my own business (it's a newspaper, and that's about all I'm saying on it ;) ). I'm also a veteran of the U.S. Navy where I was a corpsman. I never deployed to a combat zone though, primarily because there weren't to many of them when I was it (got out in the mid 90's).

My EDC is a pocket knife (no-name brand that has worked well for the last two years), keys, wallet, Blackberry, and my CZ-75B. Pretty basic, but my BOB is in my vehicle (and I'm working on a better one with a bag on order at the moment) that is designed to get me home from my office, and then possibly restocked at the house for deploying to a BOL.

I'm a married father of a ten year old son with a daughter who will be joining the world in the next couple of months. I prep not out of fear of the unlikely, but out of a belief that unlikely things happen far to often, and I will not let my family suffer for my inability to accept that those unlikely things just may happen.

I look forward to getting to know you guys better and learn from you all, and perhaps share a few tricks of my own with folks.

Thank you for the great welcome! I’m excited to be a member and I look forward to adding information to your site. I think I’m like a lot of people, just trying to get prepared for the inevitable. I haven’t necessarily subscribed to the Dec. 21st date, but the way the world is shaping up, it will happen eventually. I am doing my part to help people by providing information (both by video and current news articles, as well as products that everyone will need to survive. Please take a look at my site http://www.survivalhelpcenter.com We have strive to make it as useful as possible to anyone wanting to get prepared. Again, thank you for all this great information and I look forward to adding to Survival Cache and taking away knowledge to help myself and others.

Vis the Visvalorist

I am not entirely sure what to say about myself. I am a survivalist and I have come here to share information with other survivalists.

How does Vis answer 17 Survival Questions?

Pocket knife and rechargeable LED flash light.

None

None

Whatever I can get my hands on at the time of danger with minimal disparity.

AK-47 with proper modifications.

6. Favorite Shotgun?

None.

That entirely depends on how many people are eating my food and how it is being rationed. Comfortably I'd say 2 weeks for 2 people.

Pry bar, flat head wide-tip screwdriver, fixed blade knife, blanket, compass, water container, and binoculars

Nomadicly Confidential

My old Ford truck unless there is EMP. Then wing, prayer, and feet.

Green and a little worn out. See question 8.

Taurus

None

None of them seem to either be in touch with reality or provide accurate information in a true survival scenario. At least none I have read.

I'm not sure what you would define as a "Survival Type Movie." I was raised on Red Dawn and I fell in love with Book of Eli.

16. Survival Knife?

Originally an old Kabar, it was stolen, currently commissioning a custom blade.

I fail to see how this question differs from question 8.

Hello, my name is Brandon. I've camped and fished my entire life and have been prepping nearly as long but only over the last few years have begun taking it more seriously. I'm currently living in south eastern Michigan, but have spent time living in New Hampshire and Alaska as well. I'm also an avid martial artist. I've recently stumbled across Survival Cache and have already learned a bit. I'm hoping to learn as much as I can and share as much of my knowledge as I can. Thanks

Hi everyone, my name is Drake, been looking at the site for a few weeks now. hunted all my life, boy scouts, and learned some survival stuff from my dad. as of now i'm 23. and i'm an emt basic and volunteer firefighter living in missouri

Hello,

Im Judo and I live in SoCal with my Wife and three children. I work as an EMT with both ER and Ambulance experience. While I have quite alot of familiarity with matters dealing with emergency medicine, survival isnt something i have worked on in the past. Now I am hoping to learn and prepare as much as I can for a TEOTWAWKI situation, in order that I might better serve both the Lord and my family.

-J

Hello,

Im Judo and I live in SoCal with my Wife and three children. I work as an EMT with both ER and Ambulance experience. While I have quite alot of familiarity with matters dealing with emergency medicine, survival isnt something i have worked on in the past. Now I am hoping to learn and prepare as much as I can for a TEOTWAWKI situation, in order that I might better serve both the Lord and my family.

-J

there sure are a lot of you EMT guys on here. welcome to the forums bro.