Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Josh_Survivalcache

Introduction Thread

217 posts in this topic

Hi!

I just like to say that there is an interrested reader in Sweden to. Will probably not contribute with so much, but i like to follow you all on this great forum.

//joih

Joih,

Welcome and please feel free to contribute or question. Our friends in Europe has unique issues for prepping and we'll help if we can. I'm probably the biggest curmudgeon that is allowed on the site but I try not to be too grumpy. Again, welcome and thanks for checking in.

Thanks! I'm not so comfortable in writing in english but i'll try. It wasn't yesterday i left school...

I think it's interesting so i will try as good as i can.

Did you ever go into a department store and while there, see some person dressed in camo (and it's not hunting season) with pockets bulging, and carrying a small pack (perhaps a fanny pack)? That public persona draws a lot of attention.

Last winter, during a 4 day power outage, a fellow prepper imediately turned on his generator and continued to live life in his normal fashon (which drew a lot of attention). Within 2 days his neighbors had migrated to his house (they had no heat or food) where, over the 4 days they ate much of his food cache (which he did not have money to immediately replace). During that same outage we ran our generator only during the day and only long enough to run the frige and freezer for a while, to run the water pump long enough to flush the toilet and refill our water bottles and the water tank (we have our own well), and to run the furnace long enough to take the chill off the house. As evening fell, we went dark, using only candles and flashlights just like all of our neighbors. We did not have any visitors.

My wife and I work at being prepared and Living Gray.

Edited by LivingGray
added thought

My wife and I work at being prepared and Living Gray.

Welcome to the forum. I like your approach, I find it a fine line between helping out folks who are willing to learn and blowing Op Sec by being too vocal. The gray man is the ideal, I don't always make it (the American Flag flying over my house is a "clue" to the HSA/TSA folks). Still, with proper care you can go far. If your neighbor was close to you his carelessness provided beautiful cover for your more clandestine operations. Well done to you and your wife, sir.

Welcome to the forum. I like your approach, I find it a fine line between helping out folks who are willing to learn and blowing Op Sec by being too vocal. The gray man is the ideal, I don't always make it (the American Flag flying over my house is a "clue" to the HSA/TSA folks). Still, with proper care you can go far. If your neighbor was close to you his carelessness provided beautiful cover for your more clandestine operations. Well done to you and your wife, sir.

I have a US Flag - only goes up on Veterans Day. Also have a Gadsen (Don't Tread On Me)flag - hangs on the wall in my computer room in the basement (a very private place).

Welcome home.

Did you ever go into a department store and while there, see some person dressed in camo (and it's not hunting season) with pockets bulging, and carrying a small pack (perhaps a fanny pack)? That public persona draws a lot of attention.

LivingGray,

Someone on the blog referred to them as "Mall Ninjas". I'd never seen the term before but it has become a favorite to describe this type of individual. Yep, Mall Ninja is indeed descriptive of the "appearance is everything" crowd. Don't trust them as far as I can throw a howitzer - those folks can get you hurt.

Being from Texas, I prefer the "come and take it" flag from OUR revolution. :)http://www.google.com/search?q=flag+%22come+and+take+it%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=flag+%22come+and+take+it%22&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ySX&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=uGecTuj8DuqFsgL1mNzkBA&ved=0CGcQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=83b703b050f3aecd&biw=1387&bih=649

you guys hit the nail on the head

my hardware is always changing new things I have always loved gadgets and gear.

wouldn't life be boring if we did not have new catalogs to drool over

stuff to reload and now that I have the time seeing what other animals and gardening I can excel at

doing some solar experimenting and I buy hand powered tools and equipment

if power is ever a problem I want to be able to process food and repair what i need to live in some semblance

of comfort and be able trade and barter which I have always done anyway.

lehmans catalog and finding old tech and adapting it so even though I like new multitools i get a kick out of

retro items also....

I'm so glad I found this site. It's very interesting. I've always been one to stock up on things, but I've just now started to really prepare in case things fall apart like they so quickly seem to be doing. I have a lot to learn and a lot of work to do.

I'm married with one grown son and two grandchildren. Self employed.

1. Please describe your Every Day Carry?

Kel-Tec 9mm

2. Favorite Bug Out Pistol?

Kel-Tec 9mm

3. Favorite Concealed Carry Pistol?

My 9

4. Favorite Bug Out Rifle or Carbine?

We have several rifles (mostly my husbands), but i'm not experienced with them. I'm in the process of stocking up on ammo and will take some time to practice.

5. Favorite Rifle or Carbine?

I'll let you know. :)

6. Favorite Shotgun?

Ditto.

7. The amount of food you have at your house?

The 5 of us plus 3 dogs could probably get by for 3 weeks.

8. Name your top 7 items in your Bug Out Bag?

Food, Water, first aid kit, fishing kit, fire starters, knife, emergency blanket. I've just started preparing it.

9. Describe your Bug Out Location, if you have one?

I'll stay at home as long as possible. It's a small lake community in the county. I have another small house we could go to, or if both of those are over-run I guess we'd have to hole up in nearby woods. Haven't sorted all of that out yet.

10. Describe your Bug Out Vehicle?

Chevy Blazer 4x4 or Dodge Dually, Or we have bikes if necessary.

11. Describe your Bug Out Bag?

N/A Have yet to get one unfortunatly.

12. Favorite home defense pistol?

Sticking with my 9mm or 38 special. I do like shooting hubby's 45 auto tho.

13. Favorite home defense Rifle/Shotgun?

Will let you know.

14. Favorite Survival Book?

I haven't read any yet. I have a few on order from amazon. SAS Survival Handbook, Emergency food storage, a pocket first aid field guide.....and a zombie combat manual. :) I couldn't resist. I love zombies and this book will keep me in a survival frame of mind while I'm laughing too. :)

15. Favorite Survival Type Movie?

Day after tomorrow.

16. Survival Knife?

I just ordered my survival knife and sharpening tools. I got a few extra for bartering if it comes to that.

17. Survival Tools in Your Kit?

Gillie,

Welcome to the site. I'm a .45 bigot myself but I almost always have my Kel Tec P11 (I like the slightly larger grip on the P11 vs the P9) in my pocket. During summers or when I can't have a coat, carrying a .45 can be tough. The P11 is always a backup unless it's summer and then it becomes primary. Kel Tec is a good choice.

If you don't already own shotguns you might look at 20 Ga. Depending on the build of the folks in the house, a 20 is easier than the 12 for a lot of folks and is just as effective at close range. My lady shoots 20 and .410. The 12's are a little stompy for a lot of practice and you need to practice so get what you'll use.

Again, welcome to the site - feel free to ask questions, express your opinions, or share lessons learned. Our group ranges from dinosaurs like me to some of the best young folks I've had the privilege to deal with.

Just joined so thought I'd say hello. As name might suggest I'm living in China now, have been for some years, married into the country. Many of the topics covered here are somewhat non applicable to my situation at the moment, situations are never static though.

The main reason I joined was to ask for reviews as I go about finding articles of necessity for survival here if, heaven forbid, it does get very ugly. Not being a local and having limited command of a language are true obstacles I'd face but at the same time, those very same traits may actually have some advantages in certain situations.

I'm not from the states, and preferring to be off the grid as much as I can, will only say that I do come from an English speaking country. TPTB here get awfully suspicious of those who don't trust in their power to look after everyone so, please understand any ambiguous statements I make may be just me covering my hide, rather than stupidity.

I've got a reasonable knowledge of outdoor survival, being an avid camper/ fisherman/ climber but not a lick of Combat experience. Can't say that I'm eager for that to change either. I do have an extensive first aid/ health skills list.

Looking forward to continuing reading and learning from others here. :)

Welcome to the site sino and it will be interesting to hear your take on some of the threads here due to your location.

hmmm, I may disappoint you in some regards. My thinking isn't too different from what I see here, just that there are more specific limitations on the depth of my prep and carry. However, necessity being the mother of all invention and me being a creative and conniving type, never a fan of "the man" so to speak, mayhap that I have different solutions to some problems. If there is a particular topic you'd like me to dwell on please point it at me, I'm not a fan of over engagement on forums. (short fused and such ;) )

Thanks for the welcomes guys :)

Welcome Sino and I too hope you never have to gain experience in the topic you said you were lacking. Look forward to hearing what you can share on the improvising and adapting (whatever you can share without exposing yourself).

Welcome, Sino.

In some ways your situation is like many of my friends in Europe. Firearms are off the table. In fact, in some places even "pointy" knives are off the table! A lot depends on your setting: City, town or country. Each has its own opportunity for preparing. I suspect that many folks are in a situation where their native language is not the language of the country. That does make it tough.

I hope we can give you some ideas on how to prepare for your situation. Please feel free to ask questions and we'll be as helpful as possible.

Things that bang are most def off the table, save for the Gazillion firecrackers available at apparently every store. Pointed bladed things too by technical definition, though some lee way exists there particularly in relation to, of all things, swords as they are commonly used in Taichi.

Though I'm very surely not the only foreigner in China, few of us are living in small country towns such as I (pop 200,000 LOL yes very small). Actually that fact alone has already given me much reason to prep as if for SHTF simply due to logistics issues. It's not that far into the larger suburban area that this town satellites but I value my time and I don't want to spend all my time on endless piecemeal shopping every 2-3 days. As such larger shopping trips for "specialities" (read food I understand) only occur 3-4 weekly. More mundane shopping such as fruit/veg is easily obtained here in the farmers market. I come from a semi rural area myself so food planning strategies aren't new ground for me. It's been an eyeopener for my wife who has always been a city girl though.

In many regards, life in China is always a test of wits and skill as a non native. Product quality is extremely variable. Unsafe water, food, shelter and people seem limitless so I often find myself in situations where an unwary individual may get caught out. I best clarify that: Cheap eats are everywhere here, I rarely dare to try and afford the chance that it is safe. My home situation is reasonably secure and I take great care to cultivate respectful relations with my neighbors. I avoid giving an impression of wealth and stay grey as a white guy can be in a tanned country. Not traveling in and out of the larger Urban center too often is part of that. Being affable is helpful to a point, when someone is trying to take liberties, well they soon find me not to be a doormat. I have my principles and they stand. Many here try to tell me "When in Rome...." What BS, you are trying to fleece me as you think I know none better, I'm much older than the last shower and I'll let you know it.

The extended family of mine here are incredibly supportive and have come to respect my particular skill sets and extended general knowledge of how the world works. Initially, the Mother-in-law would never let me leave the house unaccompanied. A more frustrating time I couldn't imagine. It wasn't too long before she realized that I wasn't the wet behind the ears simpleton she had thought.

In terms of prepping for SHTF situations, I have to look at it in several ways and be brutally honest with myself. I AM going to stand out. It's very difficult, nay, impossible to reconnoiter sites without attention and that attention breeds gossip,which brings danger. If the need to Bug out occurs I can only have two destinations. One is the family some 80 miles away, the other an International airport 100 miles away in the opposite direction. If the worst be the case it's gonna have to be walked. To that end speed is the key, therefore my packs need to be minimal while hardships will surely be maximum. It's not a great thought but delusions are shattered by reality in the most abrupt ways so I can't afford them.

I love my life here in most respects. I kid not when I say I "feel" like I have a great deal more freedom here than at home. I Caveat that by saying I also know that every freedom I "feel" I have may easily be whipped from under me at the drop of a hat. As an outsider, locals expect me to have no concept of their societal rules and therefore are gracious and incredibly forgiving when I screw up, I can't say the reverse is true back home. Some migrant does something wrong, well... they have no excuse to come here to flaunt societies conventions. Under every day situations here, LEO is friendly and obliging hell, even eagerly helpful. But, when it all boils over, I wouldn't trust em as far as I could spit em. As such, I try to look as Doe eyed and mundane as possible while at the same time looking over all and any that I maybe up against should it happen.

This post is dragging on so I'll cut it here by saying I aint a prepper newbie, but I still have much to get my head around in terms of specifics. The wheels here (perhaps not right here) are starting to spark, so time to act maybe coming. It's time to find the gaps in my knowledge I need to fill. After I read a bit more of what's already posted I'll be making some queries for sure. From what I've already read, I'm sure the answers are just a post away. :D

Sino,

You don't have to consider what is one of our biggest conversation topics; what firearms and calibers and how much ammo just aren't an issue for you. Now you can stick to other types of planning.

I am speculating, of course, but my experience (limited) in Asia and what I saw in Japan after the tsunami and in China after other disasters (on TV and internet) lead me to think that after TSHTF your hosts there may well be more civil than in many places. Not that it can't get bad but I don't see it going into chaos quite as quickly. That will give you an edge if the time comes. Unfortunately for them, China is not immune from the world's financial problems so who knows how it will play out?

Sino,

You don't have to consider what is one of our biggest conversation topics; what firearms and calibers and how much ammo just aren't an issue for you. Now you can stick to other types of planning.

I am speculating, of course, but my experience (limited) in Asia and what I saw in Japan after the tsunami and in China after other disasters (on TV and internet) lead me to think that after TSHTF your hosts there may well be more civil than in many places. Not that it can't get bad but I don't see it going into chaos quite as quickly. That will give you an edge if the time comes. Unfortunately for them, China is not immune from the world's financial problems so who knows how it will play out?

Exactly. I gotta think big but plan small. Not needing, er having, heavy weaponry already lightens the load. Additionally, what I can't get the average other guy also can't get. As such my plans rely more on subterfuge/ avoidance than engagement, something which pleases me greatly.

I'm not sure if this has already been posted but I literally just stumbled on this http://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/10/26/anonymous-survival-guide-for-citizens-in-a-revolution/anonymous-survival-guide-for-citizens-in-a-revolution.pdf from Anonymous. I can't advocate for or against them as the balance of evidence is still pending but this seems a reasonable publication, I wish I could get it in Chinese for obvious reasons.

(Edited as I forgot my main point, it be late here :P Nighty night)

Edited by SinoCentric

Welcome Sino.

"Fitting in" is going to be very hard,not like me pronouncing my last name in German to get exceped.

Being a camper gives you an edge that many dont have.

just my advice as to a "Sport" in China is to use a BOW.Good luck and keep in contact,look foward to your post.

Hello all,

I have been reading this and other survival forums for a while now and was forced to register to view images on the BOB contest. Now that I've registered I thought I may as well introduce myself.

I live in a large city in Australia (not where any of the below events occurred) and am about to undertake university studies. I have seen active service as an Infantryman and section medic in Afghanistan and have been involved in the following 'survival' situations which required the following actions:

* Bushfire - BUG IN followed by fast BUG OUT [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Canberra_bushfires]

* Bushfire - BUG OUT (not my house)

* Cat 5 Cyclone - Extended BUG IN (approx 3 days no power or water to entire town)

* Earthquake - Didn't get off the couch (I initially thought the washing machine was unbalanced)

* Afghanistan - Various bug out and pseudo survival scenarios (although obviously I was trained, equipped and accompanied appropriately and knew that I was eventually going to return to civilisation. Still a lot of experience gained)

Each of these events had factors that changed the way I was forced to deal with the situation and all taught me a lot. These all have contributed to my SOPs and I have tried to equip and prepare myself accordingly (although firearms are an issue in Australia).

I'm preparing/prepared for an extended Bug In and temporary Bug Out. For example fire/disaster, crime, pandemic, economic collapse or civil unrest or all of the above. And I have solid plans for a BOV and extended Bug Out location/retreat however I am currently restricted financially.

Whilst I have quite a range of experience I by no means 'know it all' and I am here mainly to learn more, however I am more than willing to pass on my knowledge and experiences and am happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

I will continue to post here and will discuss everything in more detail in future.

Thanks

Welcome, Joe.

Thank you for serving. I appreciate all GI's, regardless of government affiliation. One of my favorite passengers was an Air Commodore from the RAAF. He always provided appropriate adult beverages to his crew when he kept us waiting. Then there was the party at the Ambassador's residence in Saigon where he introduced me to the concept of Scotch older than I was. Ah, that was a habit that got too expensive very quickly!

Sounds like you're in the same boat I'm in; Bug In first - Bug out if unavoidable. Welcome to the sites and look forward to your posts.

Hi, I'm David. I'm from Central NC and I work in law enforcement in the area. I enjoy hiking, camping, shooting and numerous other hobbies. Since starting this job several years ago I've decided that there is a definite need for me to be more prepared, not just to the threats that I face at work but also to the threats that we face every day as a species. I have some general bug-in and bug-out plans and I am currently expanding my available supplies to make sure that I can protect those I love and care about. As with most of us, I'm working with a limited budget and acquiring gear virtually any way possible!

1. Please describe your Every Day Carry?

Kahr CW9, Olight T20 flashlight, CRKT M16-14SFG folding knife, CPD Challenge Coin (good-luck token), cell phone and wallet

2. Favorite Bug Out Pistol?

Glock 22

3. Favorite Concealed Carry Pistol?

Kahr CW9

4. Favorite Bug Out Rifle or Carbine?

WASR-10 AK-47

5. Favorite Rifle or Carbine?

DPMS Panther AR-15 carbine w/ Bushnell HOLOsight, Streamlight TLR-1, 2 Magpul P-Mags (clamp)

6. Favorite Shotgun?

Remington 870 Xpress w/ Knoxx Stock & power pack, Surefire lighted grip and Sidesaddle ammo carrier

7. The amount of food you have at your house?

At least one box of MRE's plus one week of canned goods. At least 6 gallons of water and the ability to store 20 gallons.

8. Name your top 7 items in your Bug Out Bag?

Kel-Tec Sub2000 w/ Glock 22 magazines, personal trauma kit, water purification tablets, personal tent and sleeping bag, MREs, a survival knife and multiple fire starters.

9. Describe your Bug Out Location, if you have one?

OPSEC (to echo what Josh said)

10. Describe your Bug Out Vehicle?

At this point, my work vehicle

11. Describe your Bug Out Bag?

LAPolice Gear 24 hr bag with optional extras

12. Favorite home defense pistol?

Springfield 1911 GI w/ upgraded sights (its my baby).

13. Favorite home defense Rifle/Shotgun?

The Remington 870 described above

14. Favorite Survival Book?

I'm still looking for others to read!

15. Favorite Survival Type Movie?

Red Dawn (I'm admittedly not well versed here)

16. Survival Knife?

Gerber LMF II Infantry knife

17. Survival Tools in Your Kit?

Its a long list, but it includes a folding trench shovel, a hatchet, multiple ways to make fire and purify water and additional ammo.

I look forward to expanding my knowledge base here!

Major,

Welcome to the party. I think you will find a variety of useful tips here since we seem to have a pretty diverse group. Anyone who says they are ALL SET for any catastrophe (except maybe Capt. Bart and Snake) is fooling themselves, and we all have our budgets to think about. Check out some of the posts on garage sale finds- there's good stuff if you know where to look.