Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Josh_Survivalcache

Introduction Thread

202 posts in this topic

Hey, post in this thread and tell us a little bit about yourself. I will get things started with my bio from the site.

Josh – The Survival Kid

Josh is a Boy Scout and an avid outdoorsman. He specialize in knives (and other cutting implements),various knots & lashings, traditional skills such as blacksmithing & woodworking, bushcraft and fire starting. Josh's hobbies include knifemaking, woodworking and leatherworking. Josh is the moderator for SurvivalCache's Blades and Blacksmithing forums. Josh also reviews the latest flashlights, knives, and survival gear for SurvivalCache.

How does Josh answer 17 Survival Questions?

1. Please describe your Every Day Carry?

My EDC consists of my wallet (Spec-Ops T.H.E. Wallet JR.), cell phone, assisted opening knife, Leatherman multi-tool, Surefire LX2 Lumamax

2. Favorite Bug Out Pistol?

Glock 19

3. Favorite Concealed Carry Pistol?

N/A – Not old enough yet

4. Favorite Bug Out Rifle or Carbine?

Marlin 336 chambered in .30/30

5. Favorite Rifle or Carbine?

Custom built AR-15 chambered in 6.8 mm

6. Favorite Shotgun?

Mossberg 500 12 ga. with pistol grips, and weapon light

7. The amount of food you have at your house?

Up to three weeks of food actively stored with quantity depending on the distance in between shopping trips, plus a mid sized garden and small flock of chickens.

8. Name your top 7 items in your Bug Out Bag?

The seven most important items in my BOB listed in no particular order are my large first aid kit, my various forms of shelter, a means of carrying and purifying water, redundant forms of starting fires, MREs, my survival knife, and my Bible. With these seven items I am confident that I could survive for some time.

9. Describe your Bug Out Location, if you have one?

OPSEC

10. Describe your Bug Out Vehicle?

2010 Ford E-350 12 passenger van stocked with a vehicle emergency kit, or 1980 Chevy C-10 Long bed if EMP.

11. Describe your Bug Out Bag?

Day Assault Pack, coupled with a Voodoo Tactical Deployment Bag, and a CamelBak Omega Resorvoir

12. Favorite home defense pistol?

N/A Not old enough yet

13. Favorite home defense Rifle/Shotgun?

Mossberg 500 12 ga. with pistol grips, and weapon light

14. Favorite Survival Book?

My all time favorite fictional survival book is “Lights Out” by: David Crawford , with “Alas Babylon” by: Pat Frank a close second. My favorite non fiction survival book is “The Survival Handbook”

15. Favorite Survival Type Movie?

Jeremiah Johnson, while not really a “survival” movie is still a favorite that depicts some of the challenges by a individual surviving in the outdoors.

16. Survival Knife?

The Parry Blade

17. Survival Tools in Your Kit?

See “Three Tier Survival Kits” for list

Robertskemo likes this

Captain Bart

post-6-13851497611468_thumb.jpg

Born in Palestine, Texas and raised on the Gulf coast since my father worked in the oil refineries. SurvivalCache WriterJoined the Army 1969 for Artillery OCS and flight school. Viet Nam May 1971 through March 1972 followed by Pershing school and two years in Germany. In Germany my wife and I got into prepping. We had to have a NEO (Non-combatant Evacuation Order) kit to get the depends out of the country in case the ‘evil empire’ headed into the west. Medically retired in April of 1976 for neck injuries I picked up in Viet Nam.

Back to school on GI bill. Worked for NASA then to Phoenix in 1978 to be a test pilot and systems engineer for Sperry Avionics. After five years there, data base and systems administrator for the Phoenix Police Department for another 6 years. While in Phoenix, I attended seminary after work and weekends. I was ordained a Permanent Deacon February 28, 1987 for the diocese of Phoenix with the equivalent of a master’s degree in theology. Back to Houston in 1990 to work for Lockheed on the Space Shuttle program. There for 5 years then i spent 5 years working for Oracle as a field support manager then back to NASA as an astrophysicist. (Yeah, I know, I AM a rocket scientist. Sounds cool but not so glamorous as it sounds).

Our location makes getting out of town almost impossible since Houston sits on all major roads out of town. Age, health and location make a successful bug out unlikely unless there is plenty of warning. Hobbies are ham radio, astronomy, flying, geology and shooting.

We are putting together a retreat location near a nearby town that doesn’t need us to go through Houston. It is a reasonable location – not really isolated but just outside of a small town. The town is between us and Houston and acts as a bit of a buffer. Since it is a farming town it is a fairly efficient block.

Favorite firearms, the gun I’m currently shooting. I’m rather partial to lever guns in rifle and pistol chambering and revolvers over semi-auto pistols but whatever I am shooting is my favorite at the time.

How does Captain Bart answer 17 Survival Questions?

Kel Tec P-11 (in pocket 100% of the time)

Swiss Army knife

Case Knife

Leatherman tool

Green laser pen

Magnesium fire starter

Matches

BIC lighter

Casio watch (time sync to WWVW)

Dental Floss

Two Flashlights

Whistle, compass, thermometer, magnifying glass

Ruger Blackhawk, .45 Colt/.45 ACP

3. Favorite Concealed Carry Pistol?|

.45 Colt Commander

Marlin 30-30 lever gun or .45-70 Marlin and Savage .22 LR semi-auto (if in vehicle)

Shiloh Sharpe’s 50-90 in black powder

CZ 550 American in .375 H&H Mag modern

6. Favorite Shotgun?

Mossberg 12 GA pump

More than a 2 week supply

Food/Water

Space Blanket

Survival knife

Flare launcher (pen size)

First aid kit including required meds (diabetic)|

Rope

Maps and Ammo (50 rds for rifle)

9. Describe your Bug Out Location?

5 acres in agricultural area. Well on property, minimal shelter but being improved. Primary location is Bug In at current location.

Suburban 4 X 4 with off road and tow packages

Red Head back pack.

Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP.

Mossberg 12 GA pump

Back To Basics but a tough call – may be a Kindle with them all!

Accurate movies about the West (Louie LAmour type stuff).

16. Survival Knife?

Army issued pilot survival knife circa 1969 - this has change since my bride bought a Kay Bar for me this summer!

17. Survival Tools in your kit?

Leatherman, dental floss, range finder, machete, hatchet, survival saw, crank flashlight/radio, rope, wire

Edited by Capt Bart

uh... hi i guess, I'm going to be one of the new guys and i will hopefully be moderating the bushcraft (i call it 'fieldcraft')section, and maybe the wilderness survival section. I was born in Australia, specifically Victoria. I am a current serving member of the Australian Air Force Cadets (scouts with guns and better training) ranked Cadet Corporal (soon to be Cadet Sergeant!). I'm 16 years old (god help me). i have done a recruit, basic, and proficiency defense force standard fieldcraft courses as well as a prof survival course and i am currently doing the advanced survival, i also have field experience using all of my skills. i wont go into details because you guys would get bored. I'll probably start writing the more detailed stuff later and start sending it in. wow look at me just ranting on and on, I'll just answer the questions i guess...

How does Jurugarian answer 17 Survival Questions?

wallet, phone, pacific cutlery assisted open knife, hip flask with hi energy drink

browning hi-power 9mm (don't ask)

N/A – illegal in Australia

.22 rimfire (bolt action) with scope

.50 Barret sniper rifle or L96A1

6. Favorite Shotgun?

anything with a lot of shells and pump action

Up to three weeks and 3 chickens

x2 Gurkha knifes,

matches,

tent pegs,

x2 24hr MRE's

blow gun

poison and unpoisined drts

tampons (for tinder)

24 acres in the country area

V8 ford

Day Assault Pack (auscam) and h-harness&webbing belt with 2 minimi pouches, 2 canteen pouches and a bum pack

colt .45 model 1911

.38 Winchester

My defence force survival manuals (Prof and advanced) and my fieldcraft manuals

there is no such thing as a survival movie, only some randoms messed up interpretation of survival,

16. Survival Knife?

pacific cutlery 3in assisted open knife

shovel,

knifes,

torchx2

200ft 550lb (roughly 250kg) para-chord 7 strand nylon core

hutchie chord (thinker than string but thinner than rope and does the same job)

makeshift climbing harness

and some of those clip things that open when you push on them with you thumb

god i love my webbing

Jurugaran,

Welcome aboard. Being an old dinosaur it's good to have a view from the younger side of 25. (I have grand kids your age - Lord I feel old, THANKS!) ;) Sounds like a pretty good kit - you have my sympathies over the conceal carry laws. You listed a .38 Winchester in number 13. Just curious, is that a lever gun? I have a slight preference for Marlin over Winchester (easier scope mounting if I so choose) but I have a Winchester clone in .45 Long Colt (I've given up the battle of trying to get the world to recognize that there is no such thing as a .45 Long Colt; there is only a .45 Colt and a .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol). As a wiser man than I once said, "When you're beating your head against the wall and blood appears on the wall; it isn't the wall bleeding!")

Again, welcome aboard and I look forward to your insights.

Capt Bart,

thank you for your wonderful welcome first of all and yes the .38 is a leaver action that belongs to my dad. my kit took me 2.5 years and it's still not up to scratch so i have a lot of work to do still.

ouch grandchildren my age? that must suck.... just remember we thrive on sugar, make sure there's lots of it.

again thanks for the warm welcome

Hello everyone, I'm mr.smashy. I'm moderating the Firearms and the Reloading sections of the forum. You can read my bio and answers to the survival questions here. The long and short of it is that I've been shooting for a long time and I've been shooting competitively for over 15 years. I tend to write firearm and tactical articles for Survival Cache and and I have a large depth of experience with US Service Rifles. I've also been reloading for US Service Rifles for a long time (8 years?). My survival plans center around a long decline, so my preps tend to reflect that, along with preparedness for unexpected disasters. Thanks for your time.

Hello Everyone:

My name is Joe Knight and I'm a retired Physician Assistant (PA). I went to the Army PA school and was a battalion surgeon in Germany, then a battalion surgeon in the arctic infantry in Alaska. I retired from the military in 1993, worked as a PA in the civilian world, and retired from civilian practice in 2005 so I could pursue my dream of becoming a writer. I’ve been very successful so far as a medical writer, and enjoy continuing to write.

My interests are all over the place – my main interest is survival medicine, but I also enjoy medieval history and working-out with medieval weapons (much to the chagrin of my kids) and hitting the gym three-four times-a-week (the “growing old gracefully” thing is a bunch of BS). I’ve got a B.S. in biology and did some master’s work in geology, so any kind of science interests me. I enjoy history and science writing, but my main interest is medical writing.

I would be happy to answer any questions related to survival medicine, as long as you keep in mind that we’re talking SURVIVAL medicine. I won’t tell you how to transplant a kidney or how to do major surgery, but when one is in a survival situation, all kinds of medical issues are going to crop up. Think malnutrition, lice, infections, cold weather and heat injuries – I think you get my drift. Feel free to ask any questions you want – if I don’t feel I can answer them or if I feel what you’re asking is beyond a non-medical person’s capabilities, I’ll be honest and let you know. But there is so much you’re going to NEED to know so you and your tribe can stay healthy, so feel free to ask. I’ve had a lot of medical articles published, so if your question can be answered by reading one of my articles, I’ll give you the link.

So, let the fun begin…..

I'll be moderating the General Survival and General Discussion Forums. My background is almost 20 years of U.S. government service doing everything from leading small teams deep in enemy held territory to helping businesses and facilities protect themselves from natural and manmade disasters in major U.S. cities. I don't have all the answers but I have a good basic fundamental foundation and can hopefully at least help point you in the right direction. I also realize that there are some really amazing folks that are readers of the Survival Cache website and have a wealth of knowledge. Between me and the other 200K + readers and contributors I'm sure we can figure out some interesting questions or just have some great discussions about pretty much anything survival related that may of interest. I'm really looking forward to seeing where we end up going with our discussions!

Hi, my name is Juli. I have only just started researching/reading to prepare for TEOFTWAWKI, so have no discernible EDC, BOB's or bug out location/s. I am a single mum of four (three of which are at home and all under age 6), so income is strictly limited and my options for bugging out (considering organisation of three young ones, and all the equipment required, as well as the noise three kids tend to make) are severly limited. I gather, for the moment, that my best option would be to fortify the house and bug in. I am slowly but

surely prepping, beginning with food, but have yet to calculate exact amounts required. But I'm making a

start, and I imagine for now while it's peaceful, I could learn all I can while prepping. Glad to be here!

Hello, I'm Rapture, I have been a fan of survival cache for quite some time now. I started to get interested in prepping after I became aware of the Federal Reserve system and the banking cartel. After waking up and realizing the state of the world and the economy as we know it, I made the decision to prepare for the inevitable. I dove deep down the rabbit hole and my world view has definitely changed. I like to keep up to date with world events and history and am a regular reader of infowars and G. Edward Griffins newsletters. I'm a Christian living in the Florida Keys and compared to most of you I suppose rather young, I'm 17.

Samsung Rugby II cell phone, wallet credit card multi-tool, Bug Out Bag in vehicle

N/A - Gotta be 21 here

N/A – Not old enough yet

N/A - 6 more months

N/A - 6 more months

6. Favorite Shotgun?

N/A - Not old enough

Enough food for a week or 2, maybe more in storage. Kind of volatile.

1) 30 days of MRE's (2) Old Katadyn Desalinator (needs to be serviced) (3) Redundant firestarters (4) First Aid Kit w/ Quickclot (5) Knives (6) Leatherman Wave (7) Pocket Cooker

- You may notice a lot of things that should be on the top 7 are missing, thats because I'm still trying to bulid my Bug Out Bag, a sh

Bug In or around the islands

Cadillac CTS with BOB under the trunk

SealLine Pro Pack, over 3,000 CU of space

Baby desert eagle

N/A

Either "Patriot" by James Wesley Rawles or "The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse" by Fernando Ferfal Aguirre

Will Smith Movies

16. Survival Knife?

CRKT

Numerous

Edited by Rapture333

Hey guys, I'm Cliff from Central Alabama. I grew up in a rural area outside of Auburn AL. We grew, shot or caught everything that we ate. We went to the grocery (still do) hunted and trapped in the fall and winter, and tended the garden in the spring and summer. Sort of an 1800's style existance but with electicity and plumbing. haha Today, I am the guy that all of my friends come to when anything need to be made or any sort of woodsy question poops up. I spend all of my time in the woods/water or making money to pay for getting in the woods/water. Kayaking, fishing, hunting, hiking, etc.

How does Cliff answer 17 Survival Questions?

My EDC consists of my wallet, cell phone, assisted opening knife, Gerber multi-tool, Keyring with P38 and some paracord. Usually very near the vehicle kit.

S&W M&P9

High Standard Derringer in .22Mag

Ruger 10/22 with modded stock, 3-12X32 on High rise mounts

Custom built AR-15

6. Favorite Shotgun?

Mossberg 500 12 ga.

OPSEC, but several weeks + bug out stores in Mortal shell ammo cans.

Kukri (Ghurka Knife)

several ways to start fire

stainless mess kit

fishing kit in tin

platic sheeting and garbage bags

wire ties

paracord

OPSEC location, but is 20 acres ajoining National Forest with 19+ springs.

2003 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner TRD with locking axle

Assault Pack, Web vest. Wife has similar pack with redundant critical gear. Couple weeks food in Artillery shell ammo cans and platic totes with more gear. Water Jerry Cans. All of this can be thrown in truck on a moments notice. Backpacks only if footing it...

S&W M&P9

Mossberg 500 12 ga.

My favorite fictional survival book is “Patriots” by: James Wesley Rawles. My favorite non fiction survival book is, well, I've never found a good one. Most are really full of BS.

Cant think of any. Not much of a movie guy. No movies in the woods... haha

16. Survival Knife?

Kukri

WOW, where to start... Kukri, Gerber Multi-tool, Gerber E-Tool, hatchet, Gerber Riverknives (one for me, one for wife), and a good ol school Collins Machete if the need arrises.

My name is Dan, I've haven't been a member too long but I have read every article on the site and have been reading on it for about 6 months now. I would have to say I am a prepper, well want to be one, I'm trying to get a job to get money to prep. I would hope the dollar doesn't fail me until I'm ready but it probably will, I'm fresh out of high school and unsure with future plans to an extent, but am enthusiastic about wilderness survival and a little less about urban survival but still, its a challenge.

My biggest goal is too preserve history for years to come, if I had a million dollars I would be buying Autographs, Coins, Books, Movies, and many other things, and keeping them secure so in 1,000 years or so people can see what our civilization was like if TEOTWAKI happens.

My biggest fear is that I will be on my own when SHTF with no materials prepared, I am trying at the moment to get things up and running.

My ultimate accomplishment would be to own a 50 acre land lot in the mountains growing food and having it all surrounded by re-enforced walls, with underground bunkers, and above ground bunkers (for different disasters) and time capsules (for preserving history) underground. With a family and all the survival tools I need, so I can pass on the experience to my (someday) children and they can do the same, because maybe TEOTWAKI won't happen in my lifetime but theres.

I strongly believe in the saying "The future belongs to those who prepare". Because with 7B people on earth, were going to have to have a population cut soon, and I would rather filter out the (pardon my french) dumb-asses then the people that actually care about the world and have common sense.

I used Josh's 17 questions as a reference,

Right now, my wallet, dogtags, and a knife lol

2. Favorite pistol?

I have never shot a gun but MAN do I want to, I was thinking of a version similar to the navy seals sig sauer 228

Well, when I get the chance (not old enuf either yet) I plan on getting atleast a 30 calibre with 15+ rounds for concealed carry, or as a joke I would get one of those .50 cal magnums that hold 5 bullets and can kill a whale.

I planned on getting a remmington 700, seems like my kinda gun.

Custom built AR-15, or AK47, someday

6. Favorite Shotgun?

AA-12 But unfortunately its not civilian available

Enough to get us through this month and thats about it, :(, but when I get the chance ima get an atleast 5 acre garden going.

Dont have one yet, but when I do, it would be,

A net, A really good knife, A pistol w/ammo, Chocolate, A firestarter, 1 oz of silver, and ciggarettes (I dont smoke but ciggaretes have very good uses when it comes to other people). That was thought of in 60 seconds, I could probably do better tho.

Depends on the situation, I dont have one planned, but right now im probably more in the MZB category although I hate too be.

The piece of crap in the yard without a windshield, I hit a moose with it and am still alive, luckily, but its not a bad van (its a 1994 rocketship).

Probably is gonna be a military-style bag, or military rucksack (which I have).

N/A Not old enough yet, but I would say the giant-ass scary magnum

R800 I think is the name, I wish I had one

Ive only read the hatchet series, but I just bought "The Road" on eBay.

Cast Away, the one with Ice-t was okay, Jurassic park (kinda survivally), I'm sure theres others, but my favorite movie of all time is 300, has nothing to do with survival, just epic.

16. Survival Knife?

Need a good one, but right now, a spring-assisted open jab knife, although I prefer the Rambo-like knives.

Everything I can fit, what I plan on buying soon is seeds and silver.

18. Favorite Gun of all time?

Cheytac intervention, unfortunately the bullets are $6 each and the gun is $12k and the civilian model is de-accuratized.

19. One thing that tics me off about the government?

There are too many limits to gun ownership, If everyone owned guns, there would never be a shooting spree? Why? Because everyone would shoot the person, if I couldn't get a gun legally, I would get one illegally, so wont everyone else, why not just make it legal like switzerland.

20. Top 3 survival traits + a disadvantage?

1. I am very convincing with words and bartering.

2. I have a super hardcore ability to resist pain and mental anguish in the situation of starvation or wilderness survival.

3. I can improvise very well to make things work.

1- I have the tendency to oppose authority when the rules are not (in my opinion) fair.

Thanks for reading if you did, thats me,

Hi everyone!

Hi! Im Mallory. Im from TBA in Florida, spent some time in SV Arizona. Im an Air force wife (its also my occupation) mother of two, both of whom are under 3yrs old. Im a born sceptic, of everything. Thats how my mother raised me, and so far ive never been screwed out of anything i wasnt already willing to give.

However as time goes on, and things seem to be in turmoil, i dont want to be caught with my pants down. I really dont have anything prepared for a disaster situation as im new to all of this. but i do know some basics of camping (fire/shelter/gathering food) so im hoping thatll be a good foundation to start my preparedness on.

I cant answer the 17 questions yet, but im hoping by this time next year ill at least have a "BOB" maybe more. Money's tight. Well thank you for reading all about me, I look forward to tips and pointers to help get me ready for.... whatevers coming.

Hey everyone, I'm CCSir. (For no other reason than that is how I roll.) I've been a prepper/survivalist for almost 7 years now and still have a ways to go. I got into this whole thing after my wife and I went through an ice and snow storm and lost our power for 6 days. Ever since then we have been working to prepare ourselves for just about anything that could happen in our neck of the woods. (Political, natural or otherwise.)

Looking forward to being part of the forums. :)

Hello everyone, 2HOW checking in . I'm a former member of the second cavalry and a member of the Border Legion. Avid student of Integrated Close Combat and Global moderator of that forum. I'm a prepper and student of all things related to survival. Been training in combat pistol/rifle since the 90s with enough HTH to survive. C&R license, State license in Armed Protection, state HCP, and the obligatory certifications in Baton, CPR , AED, First Aid, etc. Grew up in South Florida and spent lots of time in the swamp and on the beach as a life guard. Learned to survive in extreme cold in Germany. I'm well rounded but an expert in nothing. Look forward to learning a lot on the forum.

Howdy All,

I’ve been prepping for awhile, although it wasn’t what I would call a fully “organized” process. I always stocked food and other basic items for those “just in case” scenarios and I did a lot of minimalist camping. I then found a true love, Buckskinning, and started learning and practicing the ways of old.

I served a little over 8 years in the Army Reserve, all post 9/11, worked construction since I was about 10 (family business), and have done some security consulting. My military duties started in Counter-Intel, then due to conflict that carried to the home front, I reclassed to generator repair. My overseas tour was Iraq, 15 months in the litterbox. I also did search and rescue with Civil Air Patrol; which gave me a good start on first aid and medical training. During my tenure, we had 3 real world missions for missing/downed aircraft.

I am from the Great Lakes region of the Midwest, born in Indiana (farm country) but lived several years in Florida (6 as a youth and 7 as an adult). I hunt, fish, trap, camp, hike, SCUBA and enjoy living history pursuits. I was lucky enough to have a Dad who taught me my favorite hobbies and was able to prepare me for my military service; he was a LRRP for the 82d. I am married with 4 kids, ages 4-18, so I have the benefit of older kids to help pack our needs but have 2 too young to really help.

I have had to readjust most of my gear as of late because I had always concentrated more on a military/combative survival scenario. I feel the most likely event will be a global depression which leads to mass riots and the free loaders scavenging from the preppers and working class more than they do now.

40 cal pistol, bic lighter, lifeboat matches, SOG lockblade, Rukio Tanto, Gerber Guardian 2, compass, 20 ft 550 cord, Gerber 600 multi-tool, Bug Out Bag and MOLLE vest always with me.

Taurus PT 101

3. Favorite Concealed Carry Pistol?|

Sig 229 in 40 cal

22lr for family members- M1A1

Rem 700 in 30/06 for combat

My favorite would be one of my muzzleloaders

6. Favorite Shotgun?

Mossberg 590 12 gauge

Over a month for 6 and several packets of heirloom seeds

Snares and traps

Ponchos

E-tool

Stainless bowls

Nets

Slingshot

Rope

Maps

9. Describe your Bug Out Location?

family farm(s)

large ALICE pack with frame

Ruger Vaquero 45 LC

Mossberg 590

Book of Buckskinning series

16. Survival Knife?

custom, handmade knife

17. Survival Tools in your kit?

Gerber 600 multi-tools

¼ drive socket sets,

e-tool

tomahawk

adjustable wrenches (4, 6 and 8 inch)

pick axe

axe

fencing pliers

machete

although tools are packed in vehicles and at BOL, I only carry the multi-tools, e-tool, and hawk on me always.

Woah, Cpt Bart, you've done everything cool man, like literally I've always wanted to be an astrophysicist, theologist, working at NASA and in the army. Damn that is awesome.

Dan,

My life experience has been somewhat, shall we say, eclectic. Some of it was more painful than others ( 5 years in and out of hospitals after Viet Nam) but it put me where I am so I won't complain much. I will note for any want-to-be mall ninjas that being shot at is violently overrated. It is amazing how fast your shooting skills degrade when lead is going in both directions. I used to get so angry with folks who saw some silly movie and then told me that they "knew how I felt"! I've gotten over most of it now but I used to tell them that until they were so terrified that they puked, they hadn't a clue! Oh, well.

I was blessed with great parents, a marvelous wife and generous opportunities. That given, make the best of what opportunity you have and you will do well. Once you get used to looking for opportunities, you will quickly become better prepared. Like those who are younger in the group or are very new to prepping, don't be discouraged by what you don't have. Start with what you most need and build from there, one thing at a time. Get to where you can be on your own, grid down, for 3 days; then look at what you need next to make it a month. Prioritize that and buy in order when you can. If you see something you need on sale, pick it up. A little at a time and you'd be surprised how quickly you can build up your reserves. We all want the ultimate retreat but most of us (myself included) can't get there. If we are blessed, we'll all become very well prepared and then our grand-kids will have to decide what to do with all of grandpa's stuff because nothing ever happened. I doubt that but one can hope.

Hi, my name is Juli. I have only just started researching/reading to prepare for TEOFTWAWKI, so have no discernible EDC, BOB's or bug out location/s. I am a single mum of four (three of which are at home and all under age 6), so income is strictly limited and my options for bugging out (considering organisation of three young ones, and all the equipment required, as well as the noise three kids tend to make) are severly limited. I gather, for the moment, that my best option would be to fortify the house and bug in. I am slowly but

surely prepping, beginning with food, but have yet to calculate exact amounts required. But I'm making a

start, and I imagine for now while it's peaceful, I could learn all I can while prepping. Glad to be here!

Julz,

If I may be so bold, if you are just starting, consider where you live and what the most likely SHTF event will be. Prepare for that first. From there you can build toward other things. I think (just my not so humble opinion) that it is a mistake to try to prep for some generic TEOTWAWKI. You can easily leave gaps in your preps for short term events that are much more likely than TEOTWAWKI and spend all your money as well. Then you are not prepared for either TEOTWAWKI or the most likely things either.

Like the comment about the 45 Colt and the "Long Colt". It's become the mainline marketing nomenclature, as my Vaquero was sold as a "Long Colt". I think they have become so accustomed to just the ACP cartridge, they referred to the true 45 as being "long" with its rejuvenation with CAS and history buffs.

Hey guys, I'm Kyle from South Eastern Connecticut. *I am an avid hunter, fisher, camper, and hiker. I am an Eagle Scout who taught Wilderness Survival, Camping, Orienteering , Pioneering, Geocaching, and Outdoor Cooking at the largest Boy Scout camp in the North East for 4 years. I work as an Emergency Medical Technician *now and also volunteer as a Firefighter/EMT/HazMat Operational in my local fire departments.

17 Survival Questions

1. Please describe your Every Day Carry?*

Gerber Magnum LST

Leatherman SuperTool 200

Ruger LCP

Paracord Bracelet

Streamlight PolyTac

Bic Lighter

Black Sharpie

Zebra Pen

Wallet

Keys with gloves and CPR Mask

Glock 17

Ruger LCP

AR-15

AR-15

6. Favorite Shotgun?

Mossberg 500 12 ga.

7. The amount of food you have at your house?*

3 Months

Gerber LMF II

Blast Match

MREs

Emergency Water Pouches

Medical Kit

EDC

Hennesy Hammock

Personal Land Campsite on Mountain*

Yamaha Kodiak 400*

mud/snow tires*

3000lb winch

Black MOLLE 3 day assault pack

Glock 17

13. Favorite home defense Rifle/Shotgun?*

AR-15

Into the Wild

Woods/Wilderness Survival

Epidemic Infection*

16. Survival Knife?

Gerber LMF II

To many to list but I will post a video soon

Robertskemo likes this

Hello, My Name is Sean I have been a newsletter subscriber for about a year now and this site was a major contributor on how I set up my current BOB. I am a Former Marine and currently work in the IT industry in Charlotte NC but reside west of the city in a rural area of the state on about 4 acres of land with my wife and 2 children,2 dogs and complete with garden and about 30 chickens. My son is currently in Boy-scouts and my daughter in girl-scouts, My wife works part time at a local sewing store and owns her own quilting business

Ill answer the 17 questions :

1. every day CCW for me a Glock 30 setup with extra mags in a maxipedition versipack. along with my get home equipment which includes a leatherman, a surefire E2D executive defender light on my person. in my versipack are matches, lighters, extra flashlight, map of the entire Charlotte and surrounding area,, compass, notepad, extra folding knife, GPS, hand chainsaw, magnesium stick, a S&W 1st responder tool which has a seat-belt cut away blade and glass breakage tool, extra batteries, signal mirror, aspirin, ( I think i hit it all) I know that may seem extreme but between my work and home is a 45 minute 45 mile drive and I'm trying to prepare as best I can in case I might have hoof it on foot and it all fits nicely in the versipack.

2.favorite pistol is right now between my HK USP 45 and my Kimber Warrior but whatever i have on me when it happens will be my favorite.

3.see 1 I carry a Glock 30

4.my custom Mforgery but again whatever I have on me at the time will be my favorite.

5.see above

6. my Bennelli M1 tactical followed my my mossberg 500 cruiser custom, at least until i get a custom Saiga 12

7. I have 3 cases of MREs for emergency but we grow our own veggies and can at home as well as have our own flock of chickens for meat and eggs, we also get our meats and raw milk locally at farms very near our house in fact we trade eggs for milk.gotta love the barter system.

8. First aid, fire starting equipment, fishing kit, knife, e-tool, hand chain saw, built in camelbak

9.bugging in if possible, if not have a couple of different options as back up. but they are rural

10. dont really have one, But any older 4 wheel drive vehicle like Jeeps, Broncos, of the like are a good choice.

11.it is a condor tactical 3-day assault pack with built in camelbak reservior very comfortable: http://www.condoroutdoor.com/125_3_day_assault_pack.aspx

12. current bedside pistol is a Glock 21 .45

13.my home defense shotgun is a mossberg 500 cruiser with folding stock

14. favorite fiction so far is "one second after" favorite nonfiction is Mykal hawke's green beret survival guide, which I learned of from this site

15.still waiting on world war Z :) don't really have a favorite I can think of

16.SOG navy seal but really my leatherman is great all around tool

17.see above

Again I'm happy to be a member here as this site has really been a great educational tool for me.

Thanks again

Semper Fi

Sean

Hello All,

Please allow me to introduce myself; I am Ken a.k.a. kilogulf59 and thank you for allowing me to join this most essential and edifying forum.

For a bit about me, I am just a typical middle-aged gent who is, and always has

been, interested in weapons (from lapel daggers to ICBMs) and their usage, integrated close combat methods with and without weapons, general and reasonable preparedness, and all things of that nature. In addition, I maintain a great fondness for history, the written word, and little hunting and fishing tossed in as well. Oh and I love to cook.

I am somewhat of a political activist/US Constitutionalist (especially the 2nd Amendment), furthermore, I am a Gun Owners of America Life Member, Wisconsin Gun Owners, Inc, and RWVA Member; also, I am the founder of the Integrated Close Combat Forum (ICCF) and Kilogulf59's ICCF Blog.

For an insight into my mindset and therefore my thought process, personally I believe in simplicity and the common sense approach in all areas, to include preparedness and confrontational management. It is my express opinion that true combat is not esoteric nor is it convoluted…it is unpretentious, fleeting, and extremely brutal and that man is THE weapon, everything else is simply an object. As founder and administrator of the Integrated Close Combat Forum, which is a free and nonprofit site dedicated to the education of the layperson and professional-at-arms alike, I have striven to emphasize this methodology.

I will tell you that I am significantly influenced by the teachings of some of the true innovators in the Combatives field. “Shooting to Live” is my Old Testament and “Kill Or Get Killed” my New Testament, so to speak and no blasphemy intended. Of course, that would make Lt. Col. Fairbairn, Maj. Sykes, Col. Applegate, Col. Askins, Col. Jordan, S.A. Brice, Maj. Grant-Taylor, et al, the disciples should I maintain the religious analogy.

As far as my personal background is concerned, I was born and raised in Chicago so, by default, I unfortunately learned a little “confrontational management” the hard way; on the streets, mainly in what not to do…like bleed. My training experience includes Modern Arnis, Miyama Ryu Jujutsu, and FSA style combatives. Formal handgun education was initially through the Chicago P.D. Explorer Program in my youth, later as an adult I attended classes taught by a retired Chicago P.D. Firearms, NRA Certified, and Chapman Academy Instructor and the FSA combat shooting skills that I have learned on my own and with the guidance of a few select instructors in the field. Formal rifle training with the American Legion as a youngin’ and as an adult with the great Appleseed Project, which is the best training around.

Take Care and Stay Safe,

Ken aka kilogulf59

"REMEMBER – What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!"

Integrated Close Combat Forum - http://kilogulf59.proboards80.com

Sorry for the posts by optiresertyaksuav. Please let me or one of the other moderators know if someone is coming into our community and creating problems. They will promptly be banned and their posts deleted. If it becomes a major problem we may need to instigate a bit more vetting for new folks joining the forums but I want to keep it as open as possible so people can interact and join up easily... We'll see. Feel free to contact me via private message with any questions, concerns or otherwise.

It's great to have you all on here and we're learning alot too from you all. Thanks!

The Survival Cache Team

, Im Bill, just your average business owner in the most business unfriendly and liberal states in the union, (but the weather is good). Im an avid outdoorsman, have a background in self defense (thai kick boxing/krav maga) and have been prepping in one way or another for many years. Its interesting to note that while most folks like me, or us if you will, tend to gravitate towards similar goals and philosophies, that most of my circle of friends, while conservative and outraged, have not prepped even for a day let alone a week or a year. lots have guns, but use all their ammo at the range. some have food but only for their normal meals for the week. to me a gun with no ammo is simply a piece of metal with potential. anyways, im glad the forums are here, this is a great site and here is how i answer the same 17 questions as the rest.

17 Survival Questions

1. Please describe your Every Day Carry?*

Keys, Iphone 4, Benchmade 585 assisted open knife, wallet, and cheap redline tactical led flashlight.

springfield xd.45

springfield xd .40 sub compact (i live in CA and they dont hand out ccp's very easily so this is generally in a locked box in my vehicle per state regulations. better to have it in the car than not at all i say)

ruger 10/22

AR-15/ or remington 700p .308

6. Favorite Shotgun?

remington 870 personal defense with some cool add ons

7. The amount of food you have at your house?*

1 month in house but many more in bol.

Several knives

leatherman wave

portable fishing pole/kit

wool blanket

Blast Match

MREs

canteen with metal cup

Medical Kit

EDC

poncho/hammock

henry survival rifle

Gerber gator

and a survival manual that ive made from a combination of reading materials.

secluded riverfront property in a neighboring state which I can access on almost unpaved roads. this is quite an accomplishment in CA

chevy silverado 2500hd diesel 4x4. 3 inch lift 33 inch mud tires.

camelbak bfp. biggest pack they make and more than enough room to put a 7 day kit in.

xd.45 or taurus judge, but that stays out of state.

13. Favorite home defense Rifle/Shotgun?*

rem 870

lights out

havent found one yet

16. Survival Knife?

all of them. i have several in my packs

knives, machete, shears in my med kit, fire starters, leatherman etc....